Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

GoArmySports

More steamed than I've ever been as relates to hockey.  It's not just the 1st round pick, it's the package of players traded to get him, it's the tough decisions not to sign other key players, it's partly Parise (but I believe NJ matched MINN offer there)... and largely, it's about not being able to lure good players to a team without a marquee guy (let alone fans in seats amidst an already-murky ownership situation).

This is franchise-ruining.  Missed playoffs 2 times in 3 years (not because of Kovalchuk), and now this.  Sure, we'll sign some bozos to some money, but why would Cory Schneider wanna resign here in 2 yrs?  Why does Henrique want to re-sign?  The Devils are at an all time low in public image and this clown just delivered a KO.

Wow - I don't know what to say.  Single worst signing in the history of the NHL (including Dipietro--they didn't have to give anything up to make it happen).

Absolutely no words for how I feel right now. In 2010, it was extremely obvious that the Devils were putting the franchise in his lap, and that he would be the face moving forward. We didn't sign Parise to an extension because we were too busy with Kovalchuk. Especially now, that Parise is gone, Kovalchuk HAD to know that he IS the Devils going forward. For him to do this move is not only selfish, it's absolutely reckless and shows he has no regard for anyone but himself. Screw him, screw his "thank you to the organization and the great fans", and screw the KHL. I don't know what options are, but I would like the NHL to cut off all ties with the KHL going forward.

Per McKenzie...

"If NJ had so chosen, it could've blocked Kovalchuk from the KHL by tolling contract. But NJ isn't doing that, he's free to go to KHL."

That is weird that the Devils didn't block it. Lou must have something up his sleeve.

I swear if Lou pulls a rabbit out of this one I will bow down to his greatness and lick every single one of his liver spots on his bald head.

Per McKenzie...

"If NJ had so chosen, it could've blocked Kovalchuk from the KHL by tolling contract. But NJ isn't doing that, he's free to go to KHL."

Yea, sure. Toll the contract, force Kovalchuk to stay here and then have 11 years with a player who can't wait to leave. What a GREAT option that is...

Per McKenzie...

Lou's too classy.  Should've let this stupid fvcking a$$hole rot and miss the Olympics.

Per McKenzie...

What does that mean?  Always thought if he had a contract with one league, a player couldn't just bolt to the other.  Did the Devils give him an outright release?

Per McKenzie...

Well, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes so let's not pass judgement on Kovy just yet.  He is free to do what he wants.  It was obvious that something "didn't add up" when the guy misses a good chunk of the last 40 days of the season or with a shoulder injury, yet he runs to go play in the World Championships a week or so later.

It's a rough day, yes, because there aren't too many players in the NHL of Kovy's level.  The Devils and the NHL are losers today.

• Like 1

Per McKenzie...

Lou's a classy guy, we know he wouldn't do that. But really, how could we have benefited? It's not like he was going to come back a year or two off. I'm sure Lou said a few curse words, took a breath and came to the quick realization that we will all eventually come too in that all we can really do is move; although the fan base is obviously justified in being outraged for a few weeks.

What does that mean?  Always thought if he had a contract with one league, a player couldn't just bolt to the other.  Did the Devils give him an outright release?

Via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolling_(law)

Sounds like the Lou could have let Kovy stay in hockey purgatory where he could either play for the Devils or no one else. but that's a zero sum game there.

totally fvcking sucks so damn bad i want to vomit.. first parise then clarkson and now kovalchuk.. theres not even anything to replace him with he left us completely high and dry... were fvcked now... couldnt even win one game with him out of the line up last season

The timing could of been better. But I seriously don't know what you guys are crying about. This couldn't be any better for The Devils. I'm not about to post a long list right now, but the dude was absolute garbage. I hated him his entire time here. We went to the cup in spite of him. Not because of him.

Give me cap room back. Maybe, just maybe, get our first rounder back. And I am a happy camper. I'm dead serious about this, and I'm not attacking anyone on here. I just don't understand how anyone can't see this as good. Trust me. Its good!