The "Now That We've Had Time To Digest This Thread"

Colorado Rockies 1976

I wonder if I am the only one here who is just sad, not angry or disappointment, just sad.

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who doesn't really care. 

I don't even care if this seals the deal on me knowing my ass from a hole in the ground - I just don't think he was that big an impact player.  The hole left was a hole there anyhow.  There was no edge offered by his name.  He was a nice solid player but to me it all evened out and he just wasn't any big deal on the team. 

The only thing that impressed me was his willingness to play the system.  But he made it a big drag and didn't share the enthusiasm so it was all a wash.  What we gain in losing him makes everything all a wash.  I really dont care.  I think I'm hanging out here reading and writing just trying to find a reason to really honestly give a sh!t.

I hear posters in my head saying "well you should care" and the proceeding list of why I'm stupid. 

I sincerely feel completely apathetic. I only didn't say so because I care what people think of me -- which luckily I'm gleaning is pretty much nothing  anyhow :evil:

I think if Clarkson hadn't left I might have felt more.  but the whole Clarkson thing was so much more real and both sides had so much invested and going on so many more levels.  I had fear anger resentment and finally when it was all out on the table - I wish him well and feel content about the whole thing.  Kovalchuk - hehh.. so what?  When you look deeply to get riled you see it's nothing.  an empty apathetic wash

Edited by Pepperkorn

I wonder if I am the only one here who is just sad, not angry or disappointment, just sad. Not trying to make it seem that I am somehow better than anyone or that anyone is wrong for. Everyone has the right and probably should be furious. But I don't know, this just is really crappy. It was fun having an electric player for a few years, even though it really only worked out for one year.

I don't think he has set the franchise back too much by leaving. The only thing I'd say is if Lou knew he was leaving, you could possibly start rebuilding, but without a 1st next year, what's the point? You could still do those things now. And I think the Schneider trade is a great thing for a team competing or rebuilding. 

The contract penalty sucks, but that was a sunk cost. And the trade to get him was basically for free. The Devils did not lose any assets. I am tired listening to the Kovy contract stopped the Devils signing Parise. I don't believe it, but if did, then it stopped a giant sized contract that everyone here has ripped to shreds. I don't like the idea of paying $100 million for a 65-70 point player that can't shoot.  

It's been a tough few years, but I'll never count out Lou. Better Kovalchuk came to this decision now then in a few years or that be some serious dead cash sitting on the books.

There is definitely a sadness to this, as the shock wears off.  But if I fast-forward three or four years, I keep seeing the same scenario:  Kovy wearing down, and all of us talking about what an albatross his contract has become, and how it's only halfway done.  In 2013, what's happened stings and a lot at that.  But this is going to be seen as a blessing more than a curse as the years tick away, for all involved.

There is definitely a sadness to this, as the shock wears off.  But if I fast-forward three or four years, I keep seeing the same scenario:  Kovy wearing down, and all of us talking about what an albatross his contract has become, and how it's only halfway done.  In 2013, what's happened stings and a lot at that.  But this is going to be seen as a blessing more than a curse as the years tick away, for all involved.

This is how I am looking at this now.  We got 3 good years from him and better to have that and not deal with the 5-10 years where that deal looks terrible and strangles the team.

Possibly, but you can't get a free agent like Kovalchuk in the UFA market. I wasn't thinking what Kovy would look like in year 10 of this deal (because, frankly I really didn't want to even imagine it), but every UFA deal now you are going to have some awful years. Rather have awful years with Kovy than say David Clarkson. You just can't come close to replacing Kovy, especially with that cap hit. Look at the top free agents year in and year out. There was massive hype around David Clarkson and Scott Gomez or Chris Drury before him. It's ugly out there.

Now the Devils have come back from a lot. But it wasn't clear if they survived the Zach Parise loss last season, and now losing their other two leading goal-scorers is really going to sting. 

This is how I am looking at this now.  We got 3 good years from him and better to have that and not deal with the 5-10 years where that deal looks terrible and strangles the team.

I don't think this was lost on Kovy either.  The KHL regular season is 30 less games than the NHL's.  He probably feels he can stay productive a lot longer playing less games against lesser competition.  I don't think he was looking forward to potentially being Public Enemy #1 among Devils fans if he was a shell of himself by the time he reached his mid-30s (if not earlier). 

Possibly, but you can't get a free agent like Kovalchuk in the UFA market. I wasn't thinking what Kovy would look like in year 10 of this deal (because, frankly I really didn't want to even imagine it), but every UFA deal now you are going to have some awful years. Rather have awful years with Kovy than say David Clarkson. You just can't come close to replacing Kovy, especially with that cap hit. Look at the top free agents year in and year out. There was massive hype around David Clarkson and Scott Gomez or Chris Drury before him. It's ugly out there.

Now the Devils have come back from a lot. But it wasn't clear if they survived the Zach Parise loss last season, and now losing their other two leading goal-scorers is really going to sting. 

This was potentially a whole new level of ugly.  That contract could've been brutal before it even reached the halfway point, with 7+ years to go.  As bad as Gomez's and Drury's and some other contracts were, this one could reached a whole new unforeseen level of bad. 

I wonder if I am the only one here who is just sad, not angry or disappointment, just sad. Not trying to make it seem that I am somehow better than anyone or that anyone is wrong for wishing ill will. Everyone has the right and probably should be furious. But I don't know, this just is really crappy. It was fun having an electric player for a few years, even though it really only worked out for one year.

I don't think he has set the franchise back too much by leaving. The only thing I'd say is if Lou knew he was leaving, you could possibly start rebuilding, but without a 1st next year, what's the point? You could still do those things now. And I think the Schneider trade is a great thing for a team competing or rebuilding. 

The contract penalty sucks, but that was a sunk cost. And the trade to get him was basically for free. The Devils did not lose any assets. I am tired listening to the Kovy contract stopped the Devils signing Parise. I don't believe it, but if did, then it stopped a giant sized contract that everyone here has ripped to shreds. I don't like the idea of paying $100 million for a 65-70 point player that can't shoot.  

It's been a tough few years, but I'll never count out Lou. Better Kovalchuk came to this decision now then in a few years or that be some serious dead cash sitting on the books.

I'm mad, but not a quarter of much as I am sad. This is just heartbreaking.

The Parise thing was pure anger, I really thought he was going to stay based off everything he said and such. But this? This feels like a family member dying. Obviously not nearly as serious and such, but just the shock factor - you never expected it or saw it coming. Especially since there was a weird relationship with Kovy and the Devils. Kovy came in as a world class talent but now he's leaving as a world class player. The Devils brought him as high as he's ever been. There has never been such a dynamite force seen on the PK ever. How could you not like the guy? Represented Devils hockey so well buying into the team and defense concepts. Such a high energy and exciting player.

I'll never forget his shootout gaffe at home against Buffalo in the fall of 2010, only to answer back two nights later with the game winner in overtime against the Oilers. I was there for both of those.

Part of me feels like there is decades worth of memories in just three short years. Just knowing that there could have been so many more. It's heartbreaking. 

Looking at a hockey aspect of this - we also lost Kovalchuks almost automatic first shootout goal.  Losing Parise and Kovalchuk has crippled us in the skills competition. 

He wasn't quite as money this past season as he was in 11-12.

Devils going something like 12-4 in the shootout in that year was mostly luck and I never thought we would repeat that anytime soon.

Cap hit yeah, but the Devils don't care about cap hit, they're not a cap team going forward unless someone really wealthy who doesn't care about money buys the team.

It's so hard to value Kovalchuk because of how they played him - no one else played as many minutes as he did.  And yeah, playing 60 minutes with Eric Boulton as he did in 2011-12 has to drag down your numbers substantially.  But in terms of rate, Kovalchuk wasn't close to being a top goal scorer.  Normally you wouldn't think you could replace a guy like Kovalchuk with 3 players and come out ahead, but the Devils might actually be able to do that. 

I have to say that truthfully I'm kind of happy with this. Kovy was a great player and I was shocked how much he bought into the team concept here but he was never all team at all costs. He played really strong for us and we also gave him a chance to learn that hockey happens at both ends of the ice.

The Devils have been built on teamwork almost since day one. That's how they've been able to stay competitive all these years. Lou makes some strange moves now and then but all gms do. He has also been able to keep this team focused on being a unit and not a star. Kovy to me was the first step towards dismantling that approach. Though Kovy played d and a more complete game here than ever before it was still all Kovy. The players notice and it changes things in a locker room. When Kovy didn't want to rush back after the lockout there was some voices quietly coming out about not being appreciated on the team. It's a business and the players have to take care of themselves, but there is a classy way to do it. Marty, Elias show that you can do both. We didn't lose Parise because of Kovy, he was mn bound almost guaranteed. It's home and an amazing town for hockey. He also was having a big old house built out there before free agency even started. Some players leave for whatever reasons but look at the turnover we've had and yet remained strong. It'll happen again here.

This year will be hard to start off but I think the team gets back to Devils hockey and will be competitive and fight for a spot. In the next few years we can watch the team develop again with that win at all costs mentality and work together again. Hoping Lou doesn't panic and give us a McGillis signing and just let's things happen with role players who fit the needs.

Besides, no scoring worries anyway. We signed Rod and Cam remember.

Looking at a hockey aspect of this - we also lost Kovalchuks almost automatic first shootout goal.  Losing Parise and Kovalchuk has crippled us in the skills competition. 

Kovalchuk's career numbers in the shootout are not very good and he wasn't great at this in 2012-13 either.  I'm not convinced that was a long-term change no matter how they talked about how Brodeur told him about angles and so forth.

When you look at points production alone there were 67 players at forward better than Kovy last season in the NHL. 27 of those players played at right wing, and we signed on of them with Michael Ryder. That made me feel a little better about the whole situation.

I would like to take a look at getting Brad Boyes signed to a decent deal and maybe one other forward.

Not to derail the thread, but wasn't it the Devil's ownership years ago that was really pressuring to get Kovy, and not so much Lou?

It was a two way street...Lou was given the green light to make it happen; based on both ownership's desire to have a marquee player, and Lou's comfort level with Kovy being that marquee player.  He said flat out at the time of the signing that if Kovy had not been acquired via trade prior to hitting free agency, then it wouldn't have been considered. 

Hadn't even thought about the shootouts, yeah that'll suck.  3 of the Devils better shooters (Kovy, Parise, and Clarkson) are now gone, so that should be fun.  Can't wait to watch that  :doh1:

Also, yeah.  Devils will miss him big time on the PK.  The record setting PK of two years ago has now lost its two primary members (still have Henrique, and Elias I suppose).  So that'll dip substantially too.

Not to derail the thread, but wasn't it the Devil's ownership years ago that was really pressuring to get Kovy, and not so much Lou?

Yes, this was JVB looking to sell the team to the Nets Russian owner prior to the Brooklyn arena.   He thought Kovy would make the deal easier.   Lou was not interested and rightly so.

Hadn't even thought about the shootouts, yeah that'll suck.  3 of the Devils better shooters (Kovy, Parise, and Clarkson) are now gone, so that should be fun.  Can't wait to watch that  :doh1:

Also, yeah.  Devils will miss him big time on the PK.  The record setting PK of two years ago has now lost its two primary members (still have Henrique, and Elias I suppose).  So that'll dip substantially too.

Kovalchuk was not one of the 'primary members' of the 2011-12 PK.  He was on the third unit and was seldom used on faceoffs.  Scored some goals and may have been the best PK forward in the league, but he played less than all of the Devils penalty killers.

True, Clarkson was 2 for 6 over the last 2 seasons, but we still have Elias who was 6 for 12 in 2011-12 and 2 for 8 in 2013, so he can contribute. Zajac has been 3 for 5 in a very limited recent 2 season sample size. Hopefully someone else can step up. Maybe Teddy can find a use. Who knows.

I just don't think he was that big an impact player.  The hole left was a hole there anyhow.  There was no edge offered by his name.  He was a nice solid player but to me it all evened out and he just wasn't any big deal on the team. 

This is how I like to look at the situation, and it's funny, because literally the day before this whole thing happened, I was sitting, and thinking, comparing Kovalchuk to other NHL superstars.

How I ultimately felt, after comparing him to most notably, Giroux, was that yes, they both bring amazing skill and talent to the game, but Kovalchuk's game wasn't very electric. We rarely saw Kovalchuk net a late game, or go ahead goal.

His game was just very static, carry the puck through the neutral zone, stop by the boards, wrap the puck around the corners. He never really tried to create chances for himself with dekes, in his last year or two, he was just a pure shooter, and a pure shooter that played a criminal amount of minutes.

A final thought that I was left with, after this all happened, was how our shootouts are going to suffer dearly. There was a significant drop off when we lost Parise, now losing them both, our only dependable shootout guy is Patty, other than that, we're screwed.

Kovy typically only played the PK on the last 40 seconds or so. John Madden was an even better PKer and we lost him and did okay.

Kovy is a world class talent. He played RW (even though is he is a natural LW) on an all round offensively challenged team where he often was the only truly gifted player on his line, and in NJ, the only real shooting threat on the PP. He still managed to put up "decent" numbers, assuming retiring with 1 PPG is still considered good in this crowd. He also lead all players in scoring in our run to the finals untill game 6, and would clearly have been a Conn Smythe candidate had the Devils won.

And while I realize the "advanced stats" guys here may not like him (or Ovie), he was the only truly spectacular player to watch on our team, and I will surely miss him a lot.. 

That said; it might work out for the best in the long run.

Kovy was an intoxicating player.  

His potential got coaches excited.   Coaches would try to tap into this talent more and more trying to win games.   Then they started to lose more than they won and they would try to use him more.   All the while, the rest of the team got lost.  

Kovy is a world class talent. He played RW (even though is he is a natural LW) on an all round offensively challenged team where he often was the only truly gifted player on his line, and in NJ, the only real shooting threat on the PP. He still managed to put up "decent" numbers, assuming retiring with 1 PPG is still considered good in this crowd. He also lead all players in scoring in our run to the finals untill game 6, and would clearly have been a Conn Smythe candidate had the Devils won.

And while I realize the "advanced stats" guys here may not like him (or Ovie), he was the only truly spectacular player to watch on our team, and I will surely miss him a lot.. 

That said; it might work out for the best in the long run.

Ovechkin was a tremendous territorial player a few years ago.  Not so much anymore.