[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

caron14

I don't see where a 2nd forward fits.

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Clowe-Loktionov-Brunner?

Henrique-Josefson-Zubrus

Olesz-Carter-Bernier

Unless you want to move Henrique to center, Zubrus to left wing, and add another wing at the expense of Loktionov, but Loktionov was really good last year.

I like these a lot. I like mobility of our lineup overall. Henrique could move up and center the 2nd if loki struggles, Zubs is capable of playing top 6 minutes, and the entire 4th line (bernier especially in my opinion) could easily fill in 3rd line minutes. Lots of options for Pete to tinker with and find chemistry. I'm sure he'll be jotting down lines on napkins like mad while on summer vacation (I am and i don't get paid squat). With that being said I'm glad we don't have to ink Kovy in as the "top line" RW when we all know patty's line has been the real number 1 at even strength. I'd tinker with this set:

Elias-Zajac-Brunner? => Brunner had his success with Zetterberg/Datsuyk (not hard to do) and Elias is our version of those guys

Clowe-Henrique-Ryder => All Canada line with Ryder and Clowe from the same town. 

Olesz-Loki-Zub => Like surrounding loki with some big bodies and Zubs can teach Olesz how to play the boards. 

Carter-josefson-Bernier => Josefson is an upgrade over Gionta and gets #1 PK minutes. 

REALLY refreshing to talk about lines again and not talk about who's not a Devil. I suggest others try it. 

I like these a lot. I like mobility of our lineup overall. Henrique could move up and center the 2nd if loki struggles, Zubs is capable of playing top 6 minutes, and the entire 4th line (bernier especially in my opinion) could easily fill in 3rd line minutes. Lots of options for Pete to tinker with and find chemistry. I'm sure he'll be jotting down lines on napkins like mad while on summer vacation (I am and i don't get paid squat). With that being said I'm glad we don't have to ink Kovy in as the "top line" RW when we all know patty's line has been the real number 1 at even strength. I'd tinker with this set:

Elias-Zajac-Brunner? => Brunner had his success with Zetterberg/Datsuyk (not hard to do) and Elias is our version of those guys

Clowe-Henrique-Ryder => All Canada line with Ryder and Clowe from the same town. 

Olesz-Loki-Zub => Like surrounding loki with some big bodies and Zubs can teach Olesz how to play the boards. 

Carter-josefson-Bernier => Josefson is an upgrade over Gionta and gets #1 PK minutes. 

REALLY refreshing to talk about lines again and not talk about who's not a Devil. I suggest others try it. 

Great post, I actually like that lineup and your comments ring true. I have worries about Loki but I remember that when people got him the puck he did well with it.

I just hope we don't overpay. Based on his amount of NHL experience I would go 2, 2.5 at the most.

Red wings offered 2.5 and he refused. he want 3 or 3.5. At this point we have like 10m of cap space. I couldnt care less of "overpaying" a guy with an extra million its not gonna hurt us. we need scoring

Red wings offered 2.5 and he refused. he want 3 or 3.5. At this point we have like 10m of cap space. I couldnt care less of "overpaying" a guy with an extra million its not gonna hurt us. we need scoring

Agreed. If we are adding a young 2nd line talent to fill a large hole in our roster without giving up any of our very limited assets, an extra million against the cap doesn't make any difference to me.

Edited by Lateralous

my only problem if there's one is that how do you give like 3 or 3.5 to a guy who played half a season in the NHL and then turn around and try to sign our own Henrique for less ?

There in line lies one of your problems. Brunner scored 26 points in 44 games, but you want to give him 3.5 mil. Henrique should command around  3 now you have to pay Henrique more.

Brunner did do well in the playoffs, but so did Salvador.

There in line lies one of your problems. Brunner scored 26 points in 44 games, but you want to give him 3.5 mil. Henrique should command around 3 now you have to pay Henrique more.

RFA vs UFA. Brunner will and should get more

There in line lies one of your problems. Brunner scored 26 points in 44 games, but you want to give him 3.5 mil. Henrique should command around  3 now you have to pay Henrique more.

brunner has been a steady scorer all his career, near 1 goal per 2 games for like 4-5 straight season. Of course its a different league but he showed he can be consistent and he did scored a decent amount of goals in the NHL in his first season.

brunner has been a steady scorer all his career, near 1 goal per 2 games for like 4-5 straight season. Of course its a different league but he showed he can be consistent and he did scored a decent amount of goals in the NHL in his first season.

He also played with Zetterberg. He did have an excellent shot percentage, but he was sheltered in Detroit.

Here's the pros and cons:

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2013/7/13/4520106/why-the-new-jersey-devils-would-go-after-damien-brunner

Anything over a 1 yr deal is very questionable for Brunner. 

As for Loktionov, I'm very skeptical on him sticking here long-term.  I liked his puck-handling and passing with Kovy and his shot was decent, but I didn't like his defensive awareness and his lack of physicality either, which when combined with his lack of faceoff ability renders him a bit of a specialized player. 

Now with Kovy gone, he's really going to have to perform and prove me wrong, otherwise I wouldn't be stunned to see him dropped later this year if he struggles.  I think Josefson will finally jump up and outperform him this year, just a gut feeling.

my point is that we absolutely need to get goals this season, at this point its wtv it takes. We lost Parise, Clarkson and Kovy thats a LOT of goals and not scoring goals is what killed us last year. and not scoring in the shootouts also killed us. Goal scorers are like that, they may not be the best overall player all game long, but they'll have an opportunity late and BOOM they bury it and they have the first star of the game and people forget how bad they were all game long lol.

People only remember Crosby scoring the goal winning goal, people were bashing him the whole tournament, we mostly all just remember Henrique scoring that OT winner against florida and against the Rags... people were bashing his contribution other than that all playoffs long. We have enough defensive minded forwards, a good defence and better goaltending. We got that part cover i feel so we really need those guys who wont hurt you too much defensively and simply snipe goals.

financial troubles aside. i HATED watching the team not scoring last season and watching us been using 8Dmen rotating them while having lots of good ones in the minors and absolutely no scoring depth up front + looking at like 14m of un-used cap space or wtv what it was back then. 

so basically i REALLY rather see a guy who can hit the back of the net for an extra million rather than looking at all that wasted cap space and Dmen who cant score

Edited by SterioDesign

Detroit doesn't make many mistakes and they couldn't pass on Brunner for ancient Alfie fast enough...buyer beware.

Detroit wanted Brunner back, just not at the price and years he's asking for, or at least that's what you're hearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Clowe-Grabo-Brunner

Henrique-Loktionov-Zubrus

Raymond-Carter-Bernier

That works for me. If Raymond is pushing it I know YaYo can play wing when need be. Though without Raymond the lineup would then be CBGB and JJ going whenever needed.

We lost our three 30-goal scores from two years ago when we made it to the cup. Sign whoever this offseason but do not paralyze our cap for the next two years or so because we're gonna need at least one big name to replace what we lost