[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

caron14

I waited a day or so before posting again, now that the rat has left town and the dust is settling. We are in a better situation then I thought listening to all the smart posters and even the some of the islander fans ( go figure) negative crap, in the long run picking up players like Brunner and watching prospects build in a couple seasons we will be ok! Not only that I am now really looking forward to a hungry group of players, when we have won in the past we did it with several 20+ goal scores not big flashy names. We made the names.

I do hope that the league gives us back our 1st rounder but I'm not holding my breath.

Lets Go Devils!!!!!

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. There was clearly a drop off in goals last year, as expected with the loss of Parise, now this year we'll be twice the drop off, as Clarky and Kovy are departing. With these three key figures gone, the style of play that brought us to the SCF will probably no longer work. So, instead of trying to create offense by signings, and signings, mind you of a weak FA class, we should work with what we have, and revert back to our old ways.

The Neutral Zone Trap folks. With the lack of goal scoring last year, we may as well have played the trap. So what I'm proposing, is put together a group of big, physical forwards (maybe sign Penner and put him in a bottom six, grinder role, maybe on a line with Carter and Bernier) and let our strong suit, our defensemen and the Marty/Schneider win us games.

ah but isn't the trap "boring hockey that kills the sport"? :rolleyes:

Too many drive-by fans are only interested in guys that score 50+ goals a season...offense is all they care about, when DEFENSE and goaltending wins games. You only need to score 1 more than your opponent...

If you want a championship, you need solid defense. If you want the sport to grow, you stop locking it out every 8 years.

Amen.  Devil Dan.   The lockout did a lot of damage to games image, fan growth and more importantly sponsors.   NHL had to give away a lot of inventory and do a lot of damage control.  The revenues reported for 2012-13 will be inflated, but the damage to the game has been done.   Considering you had three major markets involved in the playoffs the revenue for this year, had the lockout not occurred, would have been tremendous.  Instead, LA and Chicago didn' t do as well rating wise as it could have been.  

I don't know about this Brunner guy. Apparently he wanted 2.5 to 3 mil from Detroit. That's asking for a lot from a guy who had an above average rookie season.

As far as Grabo, I was reading up on him and he's too controversial. He punched a guy and his girlfriend when he was in Vancouver for the Olympics.

The lockout didn't affect the sport at all. Revenues in 2013-14 are going to be above what they were in 2011-12.

if you're all about the money maybe

thats a ridiculous statement

Money, attendance and ratings are the best indicators of how the league is doing so far as the fans are concerned. In all of those departments the league is doing much better since Bettman arrived.

We hate him for the Kovy penalty, but there's a reason why the owners, including VBK love Bettman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Although his age and stamina concerns me I think Jagr is our best bet. He and Boyes would be good pickups. Plus we have Olesz and he can slot in if Jagr can't do a full 82.

Boyes-Zajac-Clowe

Jagr/Olesz-Elias-Zubrus

Josefson-Loktionov-Henrique

Carter-Barch/Gionta-Bernier

Money, attendance and ratings are the best indicators of how the league is doing so far as the fans are concerned. In all of those departments the league is doing much better since Bettman arrived.

We hate him for the Kovy penalty, but there's a reason why the owners, including VBK love Bettman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think from a business standpoint he has been great for the league and they are already forecasting a billion dollars in growth next season.. That's insane

People forget his job is to grow the business of the NHL. Sure theirs an emotional side to the sport/league and we all buy into it, but the NHL doesn't exist without the nitty gritty business side

Although his age and stamina concerns me I think Jagr is our best bet. He and Boyes would be good pickups. Plus we have Olesz and he can slot in if Jagr can't do a full 82.

Boyes-Zajac-Clowe

Jagr/Olesz-Elias-Zubrus

Josefson-Loktionov-Henrique

Carter-Barch/Gionta-Bernier

Ryder????

No to Brunner for what he is asking, if a typical spender like Detroit turns you down, something is amiss.

And clearly Jagr is too preposterous to even consider.

Detroit does not have a ton of cap space left and they have a few key players of their own to re-sign.

If he signs Brunner then Lou has to consider what he'll give Josefson and Henrique. If Brunner gets like 3 mil then Josefson and Henrique should get more. It would be absurd to give Brunner like 3 mil per season and give known commodities like Henriqque and Josefson less.

If he signs Brunner then Lou has to consider what he'll give Josefson and Henrique. If Brunner gets like 3 mil then Josefson and Henrique should get more. It would be absurd to give Brunner like 3 mil per season and give known commodities like Henriqque and Josefson less.

UFA vs RFA. They're completely different cases with no relevance to each other.

People knocking Brunner for having to be setup to score, with all due respect, are crazy. All stats show that the Devils were dominant in terms of possession last year - if you watched any game during our 10 game losing streak, I guarantee you screamed at the TV, "HOW THE HELL DID WE LOSE ANOTHER GAME WHEN WE DOMINATED THEM?!?!

Well, our biggest issue was that, even though we had the puck all the time, no one could put the damn thing into the net. We had a load of playmakers with no one to finish. Enter Damien Brunner, a guy who can finish.

Detroit does not have a ton of cap space left and they have a few key players of their own to re-sign.

What I read from some Detroit fans was that Brunner started out playing with top players but eventually got moved down to the 3rd line, where he improved and had his best success 5-on-5. Detroit allegedly wanted to sign him to a multi-year deal to 3rd-liner money, but Brunner is looking for more than that. Detroit has wingers like Tatar who are younger and have more upside than Brunner that they can use on their 2nd line, it just doesn't make sense for them to spend the cap space on Brunner to force him into a role where they have better, cheaper options. Doesn't mean that Detroit didn't want him at all, just that they didn't want him in the role that he is asking for, a role that he can get in NJ.