[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

caron14

I disagree. Since when was making "a couple more huge signings or trades" what contributed to our success in the past? I like our roster, especially if Brunner gets added to it. I loooove that we have Schneider. The players we have at our disposal, I feel they can execute DeBoer's system perfectly (Zajac won't have a slump like last year, easy to say; Zubrus/Elias are back, etc.). Clowe and Ryder are great acquisitions and Clowe will especially fit in very well, if he can stay healthy. We have a BIG team with a lot of grit and some edge, which can tire out the opposition with DeBoer's system. Add onto that that we've improved in goal, and I think we're a better team than last year. We're not unlike the Boston or Los Angeles teams in the past few years as far as the makeup of our roster is concerned.

Exactly.

As the team is today without Henrique signed and without Josefson signed and then no replacement for Kovy... NO

many of you will jump on LD as usual. But him saying we won't make the playoffs is no more insane than everyone else betting that we'll definitely get in.

As the team is today without Henrique signed and without Josefson signed and then no replacement for Kovy... NO

many of you will jump on LD as usual. But him saying we won't make the playoffs is no more insane than everyone else betting that we'll definitely get in.

Both scenarios are just as realistic

Using Henrique and Josefson being unsigned as part of the rationale for saying they won't make the playoffs is kind of silly though, they'll be here barring something stupid and Lou already vowed to match offer sheets.

The only good thing about this mess is the next two-three years will prove once and for all whether the Russian merc was holding us back or not, either way we can finally end this stupid debate.

I disagree. Since when was making "a couple more huge signings or trades" what contributed to our success in the past? I like our roster, especially if Brunner gets added to it. I loooove that we have Schneider. The players we have at our disposal, I feel they can execute DeBoer's system perfectly (Zajac won't have a slump like last year, easy to say; Zubrus/Elias are back, etc.). Clowe and Ryder are great acquisitions and Clowe will especially fit in very well, if he can stay healthy. We have a BIG team with a lot of grit and some edge, which can tire out the opposition with DeBoer's system. Add onto that that we've improved in goal, and I think we're a better team than last year. We're not unlike the Boston or Los Angeles teams in the past few years as far as the makeup of our roster is concerned.

They've made plenty of huge trades that contributed to winning - Mogilny/Lemieux in 2000 and Arnott/Langs-Nieuwy was the eventual catalyst for 2003, not to mention Sykora/Friesen.

Signings no, but don't forget UFA was MUCH different pre-lockout when we were winning Cups. Now you have to use FA more with the cap and younger UFA age - Chara with Boston and Hossa with the Hawks come to mind. The formula for winning ain't the same as it was ten years ago.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Using Henrique and Josefson being unsigned as part of the rationale for saying they won't make the playoffs is kind of silly though, they'll be here barring something stupid and Lou already vowed to match offer sheets.

The only good thing about this mess is the next two-three years will prove once and for all whether the Russian merc was holding us back or not, either way we can finally end this stupid debate.

Agreed. It's kind of like saying you don't have any milk in the house just because you're still on the way to the dairy aisle. It's not going anywhere and it's pretty unlikely they're out of 2% when you get there.

They've made plenty of huge trades that contributed to winning - Mogilny/Lemieux in 2000 and Arnott/Langs-Nieuwy was the eventual catalyst for 2003, not to mention Sykora/Friesen.

Signings no, but don't forget UFA was MUCH different pre-lockout when we were winning Cups. Now you have to use FA more with the cap and younger UFA age - Chara with Boston and Hossa with the Hawks come to mind. The formula for winning ain't the same as it was ten years ago.

In the Senators' case, the formula was Mike Milbury. 

What I said was as the team is today. Today we have yet to replace Parise. Today we haven't replaced Kovy. Today we haven't signed Henrique nor Josefson. Will Henrique and Josefson sign I don't know, Even with them signed I believe we will not make the play-offs without signing replacements for Parise and Kovy, That my opinion and BTW many people agree with this opinion.

What I said was as the team is today. Today we have yet to replace Parise. Today we haven't replaced Kovy. Today we haven't signed Henrique nor Josefson. Will Henrique and Josefson sign I don't know, Even with them signed I believe we will not make the play-offs without signing replacements for Parise and Kovy, That my opinion and BTW many people agree with this opinion.

Yep, we didn't replace them at all, we lost 2, then signed 3 and acquired another via trade. Ya know, because we didn't replace them at all.

I think this is a great insight into your mind, it really tells a lot-- assuming that, since they aren't signed, they probably won't. Your pessimism makes me pity you.

Among other things.

Ouch.  Your getting more vituperate with age.

The title of this thread... is kind of a jinx ; )

Your right.  How's this:

Devils not close to signing damien brunner

Yeah.. The franchise-record-matching win-less streak last time Kovy was out with an injury certainly didn't give us any indication..

You can argue this: our trade for Cory Schneider greatly improves us in a completely different area of the ice. You shouldn't look at it as tit-for-tat replacement. I think a presence like Cory Schneider brings down the goals against, while a decent Clowe and Ryder, on top of better (than 2012-2013, which shouldn't be too hard) performance by Zajac and Henrique, plus adding Brunner to the mix, and maybe a breakout year by one of the 2 or 3 guys we've been waiting to breakout (only needs to be one of Josefson, Bernier, or Tedenby), and we can come close to evening things out a bit that we lost in Parise and Kovalchuk. And if we don't, I can safely say our goaltending and defense is definitely better this year. Devils know all about good defense and good goaltending, we invented it. Past 2-3 years, while Kovalchuk and Parise were still on the team, we didn't have good defense or all that great goaltending and that makes a world of difference over the span of a lot of games. 82-game season is a lot of games, and I think our lines will match up nicely against any other team in our conference now that a guy like a Parise or a Kovalchuk or even a Clarkson does not have a huge target on their back.

Edited by DJ Eco

You can argue that our trade for Cory Schneider greatly improves us in another part of the ice. You shouldn't look at it as tit-for-tat replacement. I think a presence like Cory Schneider brings down the goals against, while a decent Clowe and Ryder, on top of better (than 2012-2013, which shouldn't be too hard) performance by Zajac and Henrique can come close to evening things out a bit that we lost in Parise and Kovalchuk. Devils know all about good defense and good goaltending, we invented it. Two years ago, when Kovalchuk and Parise were still on the team, we didn't have good defense or all that great goaltending.

Two years ago Hedberg was outstanding. Schneider is a great addition and will keep the GA down. We need offense everyone knows that. I don't believe that Clowe and Ryder can make up the points lost after losing Parise Clarkson and Kovy nor can they make io ice time. Henrique won't produce better than he did two years ago so that't even. Zajac needs to produce more. I can't today see the offensive imorovement to make the playoffs when Detroit and CB are added to the mix.

Edited by LucifersDog

Two years ago Hedberg was outstanding. Schneider is a great addition and will keep the GA down. We need offense everyone knows that. I don't believe that Clowe and Ryder can make up the points lost after losing Parise Clarkson and Kovy nor can they make io ice time. Henrique won't produce better than he did two years ago so that't even. Zajac needs to produce more. I can't today see the offensive imorovement to make the playoffs when Detroit and CB are added to the mix.

Ryder can easily put up Parise's offense, what we lost was Parise's hard work and back checking, but we have other guys who do that well. Clowe and Clarkson is basically a wash. We lost Kovy, yes, but we lost Parise last year and we weren't atrocious last season, not that we were great. I see us as a better team than last year, though maybe not the team we were 2 years ago. I see us as somewhere in the middle of that. I think we can make the playoffs, I don't see us blazing our way to win the division title, then again, can we even do that in the regular season now? How does that work?

Ryder can easily put up Parise's offense, what we lost was Parise's hard work and back checking, but we have other guys who do that well. Clowe and Clarkson is basically a wash. We lost Kovy, yes, but we lost Parise last year and we weren't atrocious last season, not that we were great. I see us as a better team than last year, though maybe not the team we were 2 years ago. I see us as somewhere in the middle of that. I think we can make the playoffs, I don't see us blazing our way to win the division title, then again, can we even do that in the regular season now? How does that work?

We lost 100 goals and about 55 on ice time per game by losing Kovy, Clarkson and Parise. Those 55 minutes kept 4rd line players off the ice. I thought we were atrocious last season, we were last in the division, we had injuries but all teams had injuries. Hedberg was terrible last season but he didn't get any offensive support. Our goaltending has improved with the addition of Schneider but they don't score goals. IMO Detroit is going to take one spot for the playoffs so the Eastern Conference will have 7 available with Columbus being added to the mix. With the players we have today we will need a new system and that's a learning curve. So again I say we with the players we have signed as of today the Devils won't make the playoff. We need to add more offense to make it.

We lost 100 goals and about 55 on ice time per game by losing Kovy, Clarkson and Parise. Those 55 minutes kept 4rd line players off the ice. I thought we were atrocious last season, we were last in the division, we had injuries but all teams had injuries. Hedberg was terrible last season but he didn't get any offensive support. Our goaltending has improved with the addition of Schneider but they don't score goals. IMO Detroit is going to take one spot for the playoffs so the Eastern Conference will have 7 available with Columbus being added to the mix. With the players we have today we will need a new system and that's a learning curve. So again I say we with the players we have signed as of today the Devils won't make the playoff. We need to add more offense to make it.

In Lou we trust.

Ok. And tonight you'll say the sun won't come out tomorrow because it's not shining at that moment. We lost Kovy, Clowe is basically Clarkson, Ryder can fill a lot of the hole left by Parise and Olesz could be a decent bottom 6 replacement for Poni.

Detroit barely made the playoffs last year, then blew a 3-1 lead in their 2nd rd series, but they're a lock and we're not?