[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

caron14

Aren't teams allowed to go over the cap up until opening day or something like that? I think Lou has gone over the cap during the offseason before and then made moves before opening day to get under the cap. I think it was 2 years ago with Zach's one year deal. Not sure. I just think that if Brunner were already signed we'd know about it.

Don't worry about Lou's cap and such.

Aren't teams allowed to go over the cap up until opening day or something like that? I think Lou has gone over the cap during the offseason before and then made moves before opening day to get under the cap. I think it was 2 years ago with Zach's one year deal. Not sure. I just think that if Brunner were already signed we'd know about it.

Don't worry about Lou's cap and such.

it was a mess we had to play down a man and the guys in the locker room apparently hated the situation. Lou admitted it was a mistake on him so i doubt he goes that route again.

Wouldn't really be an issue. If Henrique gets in the 2.75-3 range, Brunner could be given around the same. Probably more due to him being UFA. There's room.

it does fit but then i imagine that Lou would try to trade at least one forward we'd have too many NHL caliber player in the stands.

FORWARDS

Ryane Clowe ($4.850m) / Travis Zajac ($5.750m) / Michael Ryder ($3.500m) 

Patrik Elias ($5.500m) / Adam Henrique ($3.000m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.500m) 

Dainius Zubrus ($3.100m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.725m) / Damien Brunner ($3.500m) 

Ryan Carter ($0.775m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.725m) / Steve Bernier ($0.775m) 

Rostislav Olesz ($1.000m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.563m) / Krystofer Barch ($0.750m) 

Mattias Tedenby ($0.600m) / 

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m) 

Bryce Salvador ($3.167m) / Andy Greene ($3.000m) 

Mark Fayne ($1.300m) / Adam Larsson ($0.925m) 

Peter Harrold ($0.800m) / 

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($4.500m) 

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,470,834; BONUSES: $1,300,000

CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $129,166

it was a mess we had to play down a man and the guys in the locker room apparently hated the situation. Lou admitted it was a mistake on him so i doubt he goes that route again.

Damn I never heard that before.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Damn I never hard that before.

Elias was injured and on the long term injury list so we somehow got a break there but all players knew that when he'd come back they'd have to trade someone. IMO Lou tried to move someone over the summer but couldnt, the same might be happening now so he's very careful

it does fit but then i imagine that Lou would try to trade at least one forward we'd have too many NHL caliber player in the stands.

FORWARDS

Ryane Clowe ($4.850m) / Travis Zajac ($5.750m) / Michael Ryder ($3.500m) 

Patrik Elias ($5.500m) / Adam Henrique ($3.000m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.500m) 

Dainius Zubrus ($3.100m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.725m) / Damien Brunner ($3.500m) 

Ryan Carter ($0.775m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.725m) / Steve Bernier ($0.775m) 

Rostislav Olesz ($1.000m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.563m) / Krystofer Barch ($0.750m) 

Mattias Tedenby ($0.600m) / 

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m) 

Bryce Salvador ($3.167m) / Andy Greene ($3.000m) 

Mark Fayne ($1.300m) / Adam Larsson ($0.925m) 

Peter Harrold ($0.800m) / 

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($4.500m) 

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,470,834; BONUSES: $1,300,000

CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $129,166

henrique is not getting $3MM this year unless he's signing a 5 year deal

You're mixing up 2006 with 2011. Both times we went over the cap. It was even less successful two years ago, that was when we were playing with short rosters (it was 17 players we had in the Pittsburgh game)

And both years we were crap in the first half with the cap problems looming and both times we took off in the second half after the cap got straightened out.

i think i may have a hypothesis on this (lets say he really signed or agreed to something)

if we'd put anything in all Lou's quote we could get that he's trying to get rid of another dman to make room for one or 2 young guy through trades.

Maybe Lou simply doesnt want to go over the cap and bring back a black cloud over the team's head once again knowing someone is on the move to make room. And maybe he has agreed but he'd waiting to move some parts. Also by being over the cap other teams have that leverage in trades you know. 

not saying thats it but its certainly not impossible.

i really think Lou is trying hard to move Volchenkov honestly. I cant see anyone taking him but we'll see. He's the odd man out for sure or at least logically the one who should go.

This pretty much sounds spot on. Going over the cap and announcing all these signings gives other teams the upper hand. Lou might have something imminent regarding a D trade that's making him hold out on finalizing all these other deals.

Brunner's camp said something along the lines last week of "Deal is close, just a few moving parts before it gets finalized." I think he's a Devil.

Edited by DJ Eco

Lou is working pretty damn hard this summer. How awesome would it be that we're making the playoffs and a deep run this year again, underdogggggg. 

i think a lot of our players will have a fire down their ass with a lot to prove. Hopefully it will translate in them working hard and getting rewards and not them holding their sticks too hard and playing stressed.

elias-zajac-ryder

clowe-loktionov-jagr

zubrus-henrique-brunner

olesz-josefson-bernier

gionta/carter

its a logjam but injuries will happen

exactly i'd rather have a logjam on forwards than on the defence again, we don't a lots of top talent but man we have really good depth still. Gionta, Olesz, Carter, Barch, Pelley are good call ups.

i know Olesz is better than he's been presented lately but i still think he'll have to win his spot on the team. Carter is really solid i cant see him being scratch, he's the perfect 4th liner.

that depth gives us opportunities to make packaged deals that wouldnt hurt us that much.

Volchenkov + Josefson + Urbom for example. Not a lot of salary to take for what you could be getting and we wouldnt be missing too much either. Obviously we'd have to get back salary probably. But if we could get someone like Hemsky who seems to be on the block for something similar. Totally an example but who knows... i dont think anyone would take just volchenkov but in a package like that and getting a decent guy in return... who knows? 

Edited by SterioDesign

Define "good". :P  I'd prefer to never see Barch or Pelley.

Barch isn't that bad. Everyone hating on Barch needs to relax. We need at least one guy who can play the role he plays. Without him, who do we have to do this? Cam? No thanks, I'll take Barch 100 out of 100 times over Cam. Barch is not a great hockey player, but he CAN play hockey on the 4th line without being a giant anchor. Would you rather we play Cam against the Rags and Flyers instead of Barch?

Barch is the only guy left who can fight and who we'd want to fight. The situation will arise and we will need to use him. 

Clowe can drop 'em but we won't want him too

Carter can fight but he's not a heavyweight.

Bernier fights like once a year so he's out

Gionta has a 2 way so he can stay in the AHL so we only have to scratch two of Tedenby Barch Josefson Olesz when needed. But of course the coaches and players love Gio.

If we're a playoff team, Gionta should never see the NHL roster.  But yea, Deboer has an infinite hard on for him.  

elias-zajac-ryder

clowe-loktionov-jagr

zubrus-henrique-brunner

olesz-josefson-bernier

gionta/carter

its a logjam but injuries will happen

And that's after already getting rid of Tedenby/Barch who are on one-way deals, and there's no buyout period left this year.  People that think we're going to sign another forward (assuming we have signed Jagr) really aren't taking this into account.  Another signing either makes Josefson irrelevant or the newest signing Olesz.