[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

caron14

We have been hearing about Tedenby looking good in camp the past 2 seasons now and look at what happened.  IDK about anything else but I think the kid is a lost cause at least at the NHL level.

He never looked THAT good in camp. From several accounts, he looks really good and ready to play this year, maybe that means he bulked up (one could hope)..

The real test will be how he plays on Monday. Preseason or not, it will be a physical match, and we'll get a good sense of where he's at..

His terms must be too high. I think the teams have written him off unless he come in real cheap for a year.

The fact that the Red Wings (where he played really well last year) haven't jumped on signing him at whatever he's requesting says enough for me. I'd imagine Lou feels the same and is waiting for his lowball offer bait to catch the fish..

Because Josefson can kill penalties, is a year younger, and has put up better offensive stats in professional hockey to date.  Teams would be lining up to claim a former 1st round pick 4 years from being drafted who puts up .66 points per game in the minors, plays center, and plays an effective two-way game.  Tedenby stinks at defense and his offense isn't good enough to carry that - unless he's improved remarkably he will not be an NHL player.

+ 1. Stats don't effectively measure defense. It drives me crazy with 2 way forwards, and drives me crazier with dmen. I always felt Paul Martin was undervalued because he didn't score many goals (though Pitt gave him a good contract, so maybe I'm wrong).

+ 1. Stats don't effectively measure defense. It drives me crazy with 2 way forwards, and drives me crazier with dmen. I always felt Paul Martin was undervalued because he didn't score many goals (though Pitt gave him a good contract, so maybe I'm wrong).

Martin was their best defensemen this year. JJ obviously is better. Tedenby looks good in camp every time before he plays actual games for us. He seems to have some mental block in him when he hits the NHL ice

I think that both Tedenby and JJ are young and hopefully haven't shown us their best stuff yet. Lets hope they are still with the Devils when that happens. IMO JJ is better than Gionta right now. Tedenby is better than both of our goons. How is Tedenby going to be after coming back from major facial cut IDK will he play scared? DeBoer has to give the kids a chance.

I think that both Tedenby and JJ are young and hopefully haven't shown us their best stuff yet. Lets hope they are still with the Devils when that happens. IMO JJ is better than Gionta right now. Tedenby is better than both of our goons. How is Tedenby going to be after coming back from major facial cut IDK will he play scared? DeBoer has to give the kids a chance.

Tedenby is better than our goons, but with the Rags and Flyers in the division, you need at least 1 goon on the roster, even if he spends most of the season in the press box. So the real question with Tedenby is is he better than our 4th liners. He may be better than Gionta (though, despite his flaws, Gionta's production has been no worse, and he plays some PK minutes), but so far, he's no better than Olesz, Carter, or Bernier, so, unless he's gotten better since last year, I don't see him having a spot. I hope I'm wrong, but I also wouldn't just give him minutes because he's young. It's not like he's taken minutes in the past and run with them. Also, if we can get a guy like Brunner, who's done it in the NHL already, for a decent price, I don't hold back because it would hurt Tedenby.

some tweets are popping about Brunner invited to the Devils camp?

per Igor Eronko

Damien Brunner invited to #NJDevils camp per Neue Zürcher Zeitung #RedWings

Per Todd Cordell

I was told hours ago that a #NJDevils Brunner nameplate was made for the Prudential Center.

Edited by SterioDesign

Love it if we get him. This creates some real competition to get in the top 6. Also gives us some help in case of injuries.

Edit: In case you don't follow him. Todd Cordell does a great job covering the Devils and was the first to report this.

@ToddCordell

Edited by oofrostonoo

WOOOO!!!!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=53991#.Ujd9ccbUkrV

According to multiple reports, the Devils have invited Damien Brunner to camp on a professional tryout basis.

I had heard earlier today that a nameplate was made for Brunner and that he was expected to join the team.

I'm guessing he'll report to camp within the next day or two and be in the lineup when the Devils play Thursday night.

I think this was a very smart move by Lou Lamoriello to bring him in for a look. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him eventually end up signing with the team.

Also yes, Todd is a very good sports writer. It's amazing how young he really is. Man deserves mad props!

I think Lou probably pulled another hardball move knowing he didnt need Brunner 100% (not at the price he was asking anyway) and gambled on waiting late to try to get him cheaper if he couldnt get any taker.

I don't always agree with Lou's ways but when he pull off stuff like that I definitely see good ol' Lou

Edited by SterioDesign

Elias - Zajac - Jagr 

Clowe - Henrique - Ryder 

Zubrus - Loktionov - Brunner 

Carter - Josefson - Bernier 

Olesz - Barch - Tedenby

thats a good depth, not a lot of top end talent but good depth. Sucks to lose all the talent we did in the last few years but in another way i've been saying that NJ didnt really need that most of the time with their system. It's a system that you have to do the same thing over and over and work hard hoping to capitalize at some point, its not to creative so you don't see our guys do things their way too often. Thats why guys like Bernier or Carter are doing great.

Edited by SterioDesign