Hedberg Factor?

Mitico12

In talking about the Kovy situation for the past few days with fellow Devils fans, I have heard independently, and multiple times that Kovy really did NOT like the way Lou ran the team - mainly, the way the players were treated internally.

Do u think this, coupled with the fact that Hedberg was cut so unceremoniously from NJ factored into Kovy lashing out and leaving?

In talking about the Kovy situation for the past few days with fellow Devils fans, I have heard independently, and multiple times that Kovy really did NOT like the way Lou ran the team - mainly, the way the players were treated internally.

Do u think this, coupled with the fact that Hedberg was cut so unceremoniously from NJ factored into Kovy lashing out and leaving?

I believe the main reason for Kovy's leaving could be summed up in the phrase "dolla dolla bill y'all".. What happened to Hedberg was called the business of sports.. Even Heddy said he'd make that trade, so I can't imagine Kovy (known for valuing his money so highly) would care that much about Hedberg being ousted as backup goalie to want to leave the NHL

I think this is absurd. As far as Hedberg is concerned, Lou had an opportunity to greatly improve the team in the immediate future/beyond. 25 other teams would've given far more than what the Dev's did.

No player has any "right" whatsoever to an opinion on how there team is run. (except how much ice time they receive) 

Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

I think Hedberg is 0% of this, and the way Lou runs things is -25% (ie why he even came back).

The simplest explanation, and therefore the most likely... He enjoyed playing in the KHL, made more coin, and has national pressure to stay in Russia. I think the fact he left the NHL @ 30, and not 36, is a bad trend for the NHL. Right now, the KHL is overpaying for local talent. What happens if they convince say "a" Sidney Crosby to walk away?

I think Hedberg is 0% of this, and the way Lou runs things is -25% (ie why he even came back).

The simplest explanation, and therefore the most likely... He enjoyed playing in the KHL, made more coin, and has national pressure to stay in Russia. I think the fact he left the NHL @ 30, and not 36, is a bad trend for the NHL. Right now, the KHL is overpaying for local talent. What happens if they convince say "a" Sidney Crosby to walk away?

I don't know about 'a' Crosby, but I'm sure Ovechkin or Malkin are next on the list. 

If Kovy had a problem with the way Lou treats players, he's nuts. Sometimes he makes a good hockey decision that leaves someone out, but how many times has he hired back a guy after retirement?

He left for the millions and millions of dollars he'll get in Russia.

Firstly, The idea that Hedberg was any part of Kovy leaving is pretty ridiculous. We know Kovy wanted to go home in January before the Hedberg deal. Secondly, you don't think Kovy would have been happy that the Devils vastly improved their team with the Schneider deal? Thirdly, The Devils organization has always treated their players well. People might have gotten annoyed how strict Lou can be or what not, especially with a lot of his rules, but I don't understand how that equates to  the organization treating it players badly?

There is no organization in the NHL that makes it easier for their athletes to just focus on hockey. A player like Kovalchuk, on any other team, would have hundreds of engagements or requests that the team would need him to do each year away from the rink. The Devils had almost 0 of those requests.

Edited by devilsrule33

no, I don't at all think this

had zero to do with hedberg.. why would he feel threatened that he would lose his job.. he wouldnt, he was the most valuable thing to this team and the organization made sacrafices to sign him.. there was no threat for him anywhere here.one of the best players in the entire league and he was irreplaceable this thread is stupid.

I don't know about 'a' Crosby, but I'm sure Ovechkin or Malkin are next on the list.

That's my point... Russia claiming their own in their prime/near prime (Radulov, Kovy) sucks, but Russia loves Russians; it's not shocking... What happens if/when they lure a big time, franchise, face of the league player born and raised in North America?

You have to think that's a goal of theirs. It instantly legitigizes their league as a competitive league to the NHL and not just an AHL with oil tycoons vastly over paying Russian players to come back home. That's what scares me more about Kovy walking away from the NHL.

That's my point... Russia claiming their own in their prime/near prime (Radulov, Kovy) sucks, but Russia loves Russians; it's not shocking... What Shappens if/when they lure a big time, franchise, faceplate to of the league player born and raised in North America?

You have to think that's a goal of theirs. It instantly legitigizes their league as a competitive league to the NHL and not just an AHL with oil tycoons vastly over paying Russian players to come back home. That's what scares me more about Kovy walking away from the NHL.

I'll go out on a limb and say a North American franchise player in his prime will never go to the KHL, unless it is because that player is using it as a bargaining chip to get out of having to play for a particular NHL team.

And although I'm not sure how it works in Canada, a US citizen that doesn't renounce his citizenship will have to pay US income tax even if he played in Russia, so you lose that benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's my point... Russia claiming their own in their prime/near prime (Radulov, Kovy) sucks, but Russia loves Russians; it's not shocking... What happens if/when they lure a big time, franchise, face of the league player born and raised in North America?

It does not legitimize their league as competitive to the NHL.  Because it's not.  North American players don't want to play in Russia.  Russian players wouldn't play in North America if it weren't for North America having the top league in the world.  The fact that there's now a Russian league that can offer competitive (and indeed, in some cases, better) salaries has some of them going home, but the majority of top Russian players still play in the NHL.

It does not legitimize their league as competitive to the NHL. Because it's not. North American players don't want to play in Russia. Russian players wouldn't play in North America if it weren't for North America having the top league in the world. The fact that there's now a Russian league that can offer competitive (and indeed, in some cases, better) salaries has some of them going home, but the majority of top Russian players still play in the NHL.

Who knows, maybe a decade+ from now maybe there will be two major hockey leagues in the world (or at least one that has all the Russian players and maybe some decent NA talent on the more wealthy teams)

The sister's quotes sound like he didn't think Lou made enough moves to make us a competitive team. I think that's a load of bull too considering the past 3 weeks are probably the most active Lou's been since Kovalchuk's been here.

It's all about the cash money.

The sister's quotes sound like he didn't think Lou made enough moves to make us a competitive team. I think that's a load of bull too considering the past 3 weeks are probably the most active Lou's been since Kovalchuk's been here.

It's all about the cash money.

you could also wonder that maybe Lou stockpiled this offseason because he already knew Kovy was leaving though, to be ready when he does leave

It does not legitimize their league as competitive to the NHL.  Because it's not.  North American players don't want to play in Russia.  Russian players wouldn't play in North America if it weren't for North America having the top league in the world.  The fact that there's now a Russian league that can offer competitive (and indeed, in some cases, better) salaries has some of them going home, but the majority of top Russian players still play in the NHL.

Yes.   I'm not impressed by the KHL taking over the hill players from the NHL, and not surprised they can lure a few in their prime Russians to leave the NHL.    But, follow that down a bit; you have to think they will eventually snag a money grabbing North American, and that's the day I worry about.   The KHL paying to bring back Russians;  it's going to happen; we got unlucky.

I hope KHL will soon compete with the NHL.. on every level.

On a selfish note, i will be able to watch really good hockey at a more decent hour ; ) 

But more "big picture"... It can only help the NHL rise up its level.. stay competitive by improve his show.... 

NHL already have to fight against other US.sport to exist .. but it's more commercial aspect. For the more "intern" negociation, the league is almighty... and with a strong KHL in front of the NHL... You will no lockout anymore ! 

Plus... and i can understand that it's something that you cannot accept but.. two greats leagues is better than just one. 

(maybe with less franchise in NHL)