Prospect Camp starts today

SterioDesign

I think he is getting passed in the organization but still holds a little value in a trade. I wouldn't mind trading him for a similar forward prospect.

Do you have anyone in mind? It seems like he has all the stuff of a legitimate NHL defenseman who could play on a lot of teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone wants to hear a conspiracy theory, I imagine they didn't ask European players to attend because it would've cost them a bunch of money to fly them over.  Remember all the NCAA-eligible players have to pay their own way through the camp, I believe they also have to pay for equipment and the ice time and everything.

But then again it's really only Hraberenka who's a confusing absence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4ZBec47GRk

This is a video of Jon Merrill's first AHL point, just to get an idea of how he plays and what he is capable of. I know this is a video of him in the AHL but I'm not sure we have a defenseman currently on our roster that could/would make a move like that at the blue line.

Edited by Devs4LIFE

Am I the only one who thinks Urbom is getting phased out of the organization? No, him not getting invited doesn't factor in my opinion.

Yeah, it seems to me that his time his running low. If he doesn't make the team this year then I'm not sure what chance he stands in the future. I hope we at least trade him and get something in return instead of letting him walk like Corrente, whom I believe will be a pleasent surprise for the Hurricanes if he can stay healthy.

If anyone wants to hear a conspiracy theory, I imagine they didn't ask European players to attend because it would've cost them a bunch of money to fly them over.  Remember all the NCAA-eligible players have to pay their own way through the camp, I believe they also have to pay for equipment and the ice time and everything.

But then again it's really only Hraberenka who's a confusing absence.

If it's anything nonhockey related, it probably has something to do with the pain in the ass that getting a visa can sometimes prove to be.  I recall Tedenby had the same issue a couple of years ago. 

Am I the only one who thinks Urbom is getting phased out of the organization? No, him not getting invited doesn't factor in my opinion. 

I do feel the same way and never knew what all the fuss was about him.

I was not impressed by him when he was up for a while a couple seasons back.

If it's anything nonhockey related, it probably has something to do with the pain in the ass that getting a visa can sometimes prove to be.  I recall Tedenby had the same issue a couple of years ago. 

oh yeah that makes more sense.  although gavrus is here.

I do feel the same way and never knew what all the fuss was about him.

I was not impressed by him when he was up for a while a couple seasons back.

To his credit, he was 19 or 20 at the time, and it wasn't like the rest of the defense was playing all that well either.  I did remember a lot of slip ups, but not all that much worse than Larsson's.

To his credit, he was 19 or 20 at the time, and it wasn't like the rest of the defense was playing all that well either. I did remember a lot of slip ups, but not all that much worse than Larsson's.

I'm pretty sure Urbom also got a game last season.. He just looked out of place.. Pretty sure Gelina got his first game shortly thereafter against the Penguins and looked way more comfortable

IMO, Urbom has had some NHL games where he looked pretty decent. Trying to attribute much to 1 games has the chance to be fairly specious.

Exactly. I want to see someone get a nice stretch of games, at least 5-6 in a row. That way they can at least get into a groove or find the right pairing to see if they can prove their worth.

Exactly. I want to see someone get a nice stretch of games, at least 5-6 in a row. That way they can at least get into a groove or find the right pairing to see if they can prove their worth.

I remember him at the beginning of the 2010-11 season for a stretch of about 5 games and I was still not that impressed.  Yes he was very young but for all the hype I was just a little underwhelmed.

Larsson while having a rocky rookie season at times, I could at least see his potential.

I guess with Urbom the fact that he is on a team whose farm system is a but thin, he gets hyped up by a lot of Devils fans.  I am guessing on a team with a stronger farm system he would not get nearly as much attention.

Edited by DevsMan84

I remember him at the beginning of the 2010-11 season for a stretch of about 5 games and I was still not that impressed.  Yes he was very young but for all the hype I was just a little underwhelmed.

Larsson while having a rocky rookie season at times, I could at least see his potential.

I guess with Urbom the fact that he is on a team whose farm system is a but thin, he gets hyped up by a lot of Devils fans.  I am guessing on a team with a stronger farm system he would not get nearly as much attention.

Neither Urbom or Gelinas blew me away with what I saw over the past couple years, but now the beginning of the 10-11 season is 3 years in the past. I'd like to see what either of these guys, or even Merrill, could do with a few consecutive games with the big club.

Neither Urbom or Gelinas blew me away with what I saw over the past couple years, but now the beginning of the 10-11 season is 3 years in the past. I'd like to see what either of these guys, or even Merrill, could do with a few consecutive games with the big club.

Unless Lou improves today's team you will get your wish.

Unless Lou improves today's team you will get your wish.

This makes sense how? Any moves to be made are being made on offense and if we make any moves involving defense, it's going to be shipping someone out, not bringing someone in. I think it's pretty clear that a young guy will get time in NJ this year, no matter what happens.

This makes sense how? Any moves to be made are being made on offense and if we make any moves involving defense, it's going to be shipping someone out, not bringing someone in. I think it's pretty clear that a young guy will get time in NJ this year, no matter what happens.

If the team can't score might as well let the rookies both D & O play for experience.

Question: Why is the prevailing opinion that Boucher is absolutely not ready for the NHL? I understand that his skating, strength, and defensive accumen needs work, but is it any worse than the aging Sykora in 2011-2012? There are no advanced stats available in the OHL (that I can find) and the only time i saw him play a full game was in the last game of the year for Albany (seemed to be a very good passer, which is the opposite of what i was expecting due to his "pure sniper" reputation). I just think for a team looking for goals we are very quick to dismiss this kid entirely. If we don't sign another winger, putting him with Elias and Zajac makes a whole lot of sense to me. That being said I hope we do sign a winger and that Boucher can go down and rip G's in Albany, grow his confidence at the pro level, and then be ready to snipe in 2014-15. High hopes for this kid...

Now people who know more than me=> dash these hopes.  

It's not as much of a question of whether he is NHL ready as it is a question of who he beats out of the lineup. While the Devils lack high end scoring talent, they've got a really solid bottom six (it's hard to believe he'd get in over Bernier, Carter, or Olesz). If the Devils don't end up signing Brunner, I think Tedenby gets a shot long before Boucher does.

"@Ledger_NJDevils: Devils prospects went to see Spiderman last night. They scrimmage today at 2 p.m."

^^^haha I don't know, it just seemed funny. I just imagined Lou and Stevens chaperoning them over to Broadway and 42nd street and it made me laugh.

Edited by DJ Eco