Kovy signs a 4 year deal, no money announced

LucifersDog

Right, he was faking the entire time.

I'm not saying he was faking, just that maybe some people overestimated his injuries. He never actually said what it is, there's just alot of assumptions. There was no report of him having any work done, he played for SKA on time, he played for the Devils on time, and he played in the WC on time.

They basically had to numb his back during the playoffs. And from what I've heard it was sciatica nerve related. How long it takes for that kind of injury to heal I don't know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They basically had to numb his back during the playoffs. And from what I've heard it was sciatica nerve related. How long it takes for that kind of injury to heal I don't know. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I could see that.   And he was a little slower.    But I don't think he missed any games for anyone because of his back last season.   I'm just saying it wasn't like it was a disc injury where he had to go in for surgery or anything like that.

I could see that.   And he was a little slower.    But I don't think he missed any games for anyone because of his back last season.   I'm just saying it wasn't like it was a disc injury where he had to go in for surgery or anything like that.

He got sucker cross checked in the back while being nowhere near the play last season and he never skated the same until he came back from his shoulder injury.  He was skating great, then the dirty cross check, then back to stiff skating until he got to take a few weeks off.

I meant people criticizing his 2012 playoff NOW, but I wasn't familiar with the CBC critiques back then (never saw their SCF feeds).  Suffice it to say Healy and Hughson were off-base though. 

I had forgotten how disgusting and lazy that narrative was by CBC. No mention of Kovalchuk playing hurt. Just continuous bashing from everyone at CBC. Yet when any North American appears to be not playing as hard as he could be, it's always a historic tale of how injured he is. Man that was painful.

He got sucker cross checked in the back while being nowhere near the play last season and he never skated the same until he came back from his shoulder injury.  He was skating great, then the dirty cross check, then back to stiff skating until he got to take a few weeks off.

I thought he was a little slower for us last season than he had been in the past, before anything happened.    I just meant I don't think it was a severe injury by any stretch of the imagination.   Watching him in the 2012 playoffs, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop after the season ended.   So it probably is a rest thing and not the "oh no, he might need surgery" thing I thought it could be in 2012

If this is true, this is an even bigger slap in the face to the Devils organization and fans.

That would basically, in a nutshell, say that Kovalchuk left the NHL as a protest against NJ and the fact that he doesn't like the way this place is run.

If this is true, this is an even bigger slap in the face to the Devils organization and fans.

I respectfully disagree. He and the people around him have been saying it wasn't about the money. It seems like he really just wanted to go back to see his family and play in Russia, believe it or not. If he were getting the $20m that was originally reported, we could all call him a greedy snake, but it's not.

Sciatic issues can be very debilitating, and the only real way to relieve them is rest. In my younger hockey days I somehow tweaked something that affected my sciatic nerve, and it was some pretty intense pain for a few days.

Salary is salary, there's other things he will get.

Yep. Plus, $11 million taxed in NJ and $11 million without tax in Russia are 2 very different numbers.

I respectfully disagree. He and the people around him have been saying it wasn't about the money. It seems like he really just wanted to go back to see his family and play in Russia, believe it or not. If he were getting the $20m that was originally reported, we could all call him a greedy snake, but it's not.

How do you know he's not?     They could be covering all of his expenses + perks.    Those things don't have a value that can be immediately reported.  

His salary will be less taxed so money definitely played a part in it.

He is rich enough to buy his family plane tickets and a house here.  He chose a profession that requires a lot of travel.  Hell with the KHL he will be all over Eastern Europe, so how much more do you think he will see his family?  I call bullsh!t on the whole " I want to be near my family" excuse.

Yeah maybe he did want to go home to his family, still doesn't excuse he signed a commitment here and it was expected he would fulfill that for as long as possible. He just is doing what a lot of Russians are doing, wanting the adoration of their home country fans while some Oil or Mining tycoon backs a truckload of money up to his door. They'd love the KHL to be like the old Red Army. I believe a lot of those stories about how players are treated over there, but Kovy's too big of a star to ever have to worry about that. He's like their Sidney Crosby over there.

Kovy didn't break any rules. He is the one who was locked out (read; not payed the money agreed upon in his contract) by his employer, which in turn forced him to play in Russia, where he grew up and where his family lives. As chance would have it, he enjoyed going back. Then he is offered what is likely even more money then what his current NHL contract gives him, with lower taxes, no escrow, no lockouts or buyouts.. All in the comfort of his home town.

Why do you expect NHL players to respectfully play out their contracts, when NHL clubs frequently don't (lockouts/buyouts)? And besides.. Looking at how Kovys contract was set up, the LAST thing anyone should expect would be for him to play out it's duration.. CLEARLY, that is not what the Devs had in mind when they tried to sign him up for 17 years.

Kovy didn't break any rules. He is the one who was locked out (read; not payed the money agreed upon in his contract) by his employer, which in turn forced him to play in Russia, where he grew up and where his family lives. As chance would have it, he enjoyed going back. Then he is offered what is likely even more money then what his current NHL contract gives him, with lower taxes, no escrow, no lockouts or buyouts.. All in the comfort of his home town.

Why do you expect NHL players to respectfully play out their contracts, when NHL clubs frequently don't (lockouts/buyouts)? And besides.. Looking at how Kovys contract was set up, the LAST thing anyone should expect would be for him to play out it's duration.. CLEARLY, that is not what the Devs had in mind when they tried to sign him up for 17 years.

Yawn, and he's not playing in his home town.

Yeah, maybe when he saw that greed got the best of the league, it left him with a bad taste.

Playing in Russia must have made him realize that feeling comfortable in your culture, being with your closest friends and family, and playing in a league where you're considered one of the top 3 players in the world are more important than competing with the best hockey players in the world for the Stanley Cup. I think it doesn't have anything to do with the Devils organization. But it may have quite a bit to do with the way the NHL is run. I'm not ready to say I agree that what he did was fair, but look at it this way. The escrow part of the CBA looks, to him, like the NHL is getting in the way of the Devils honoring his contract. So maybe he thinks: why should I honor it, either? So yeah, I'm not happy with him leaving, and I do still think it was a selfish move, but I suppose I understand his reasons.

If there were no lockout last season, Kovalchuk would still be a Devil, I'm sure.

Yeah, maybe when he saw that greed got the best of the league, it left him with a bad taste.

Playing in Russia must have made him realize that feeling comfortable in your culture, being with your closest friends and family, and playing in a league where you're considered one of the top 3 players in the world are more important than competing with the best hockey players in the world for the Stanley Cup. I think it doesn't have anything to do with the Devils organization. But it may have quite a bit to do with the way the NHL is run. I'm not ready to say I agree that what he did was fair, but look at it this way. The escrow part of the CBA looks, to him, like the NHL is getting in the way of the Devils honoring his contract. So maybe he thinks: why should I honor it, either? So yeah, I'm not happy with him leaving, and I do still think it was a selfish move, but I suppose I understand his reasons.

If there were no lockout last season, Kovalchuk would still be a Devil, I'm sure.

If he held the Devils in such high regard, how come Lou is the only one he communicated with on this way out the door?   It's okay to say someone's doing things for his own personal gain, that doesn't make him a bad person because he's a merc, hell, I'd have respect for him if he held a presser and just owned up to it before leaving...

but the way he handled this is pretty snake-ish.   I'm not going to go out of my way to make excuses for him.   He pulled a Robert Irsay.

Edited by maxpower

Lol you mock me calling Bullsh!t on kovy going to Russia for family reasons yet you are saying he went back as some sort of giant protest against NHL owners greed?

Haha yeah I'm the one who is far fetched.

I'm not trying to mock anyone.. Just seems like people are throwing around alot of blame without having any actual facts.. LL confirmed that Kovy has been talking about this with him since the lockout. Maybe Kovy brought it up again after the season and LL said something like: "Well if your gonna leave, you might as well do it now." (As the cap penalty will be considerably worse for the Devils if he had stayed a few more years.) I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was how it actually went down..

For all we know, LL may have told him to NOT say anything about this untill after they had been able to sign some replacement players, as it would put the Devils in a weaker position when negotiating.. Seems to me like something that wouldn't be out of character for him (LL) at all..

I'm basically just saying stop throwing blame around when you don't have all the facts. I agree what happened sucks, I was a big fan of his and will miss watching him. This sucks badly for the Devils short term, but might not be a disaster if you look forward a few years..

I thought he was a little slower for us last season than he had been in the past, before anything happened.    I just meant I don't think it was a severe injury by any stretch of the imagination.   Watching him in the 2012 playoffs, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop after the season ended.   So it probably is a rest thing and not the "oh no, he might need surgery" thing I thought it could be in 2012

Didn't it come out that he had sciatica from two herniated discs in his lower back?  It's hard enough to walk with sciatica, forget about playing an NHL playoff game.  And just because he didn't have surgery doesn't mean it wasn't a serious injury.  Surgery is usually the absolute last resort when it comes to herniated discs.

His salary will be less taxed so money definitely played a part in it.

He is rich enough to buy his family plane tickets and a house here.  He chose a profession that requires a lot of travel.  Hell with the KHL he will be all over Eastern Europe, so how much more do you think he will see his family?  I call bullsh!t on the whole " I want to be near my family" excuse.

He will probably see them a lot more considering their season consists of 30 less games.

• Like 1

Didn't it come out that he had sciatica from two herniated discs in his lower back?  It's hard enough to walk with sciatica, forget about playing an NHL playoff game.  And just because he didn't have surgery doesn't mean it wasn't a serious injury.  Surgery is usually the absolute last resort when it comes to herniated discs.

To this day, Rich Chere was the only one to mention that specific injury. He never really went into depth about how he knew, and guys like Gulitti and the rest of the hockey press never confirmed it. Curious what really happened; herniated discs can last years and affect play (or everyday activities) tremendously.