Lou: Change of Ownership Imminent

Derlique

Macramalla (@EricOnSportsLaw) is reporting that Forbes is reporting that the NHL will take over the Devils.  Weird sourcing, but it wouldn't surprise me.

welp I guess this is the way to get rid of VBK without him going out Scarface style like you said :P

ugh. Maybe even Lou jumped the gun with this "change of ownership imminent" Looks like Barroway was going to be the guy

this article also claims that non NHL events are down at the Prudential Center. However Prudential Center was just ranked the 8th top grossing arena in the world. How bad could it be in that regard?

Edited by '7'

ugh. Maybe even Lou jumped the gun with this "change of ownership imminent" Looks like Barroway was going to be the guy

this article also claims that non NHL events are down at the Prudential Center. However Prudential Center was just ranked the 8th top grossing arena in the world. How bad could it be in that regard?

I don't trust the Forbes article - they and the NY Post have been pretty consistently incorrect over the course of this thing.  TG has Barroway as still interested - even so, how do trial lawyers have enough money to buy sports franchises?  

I wonder who planted the Forbes story, because as someone on Twitter pointed out, seems like the Devils planted the story with TG about Harris and Barroway.

Edited by Triumph

if the NY Post is involved in reporting, I don't trust it. they're as bad as Ecklund when it comes to reporting about us, and half the time it seems they do it to get a rise out of us and try to prove our whole existence was ultimately doomed to failure someday. They delight in making us nuts over whether there's going to be a team or not

if the NY Post is involved in reporting, I don't trust it. they're as bad as Ecklund when it comes to reporting about us, and half the time it seems they do it to get a rise out of us and try to prove our whole existence was ultimately doomed to failure someday. They delight in making us nuts over whether there's going to be a team or not

Even the Forbes article stated that relocation is off the table.  Devils aren't moving.  NHL will probably just keep the team afloat until one of the groups buys the Devils and then move on.  I do not see this as being another Phoenix and this will be measured in months, maybe a year at most and not the years it took for Phoenix to get somewhat resolved.

I don't trust the Forbes article - they and the NY Post have been pretty consistently incorrect over the course of this thing.  TG has Barroway as still interested - even so, how do trial lawyers have enough money to buy sports franchises?  

I wonder who planted the Forbes story, because as someone on Twitter pointed out, seems like the Devils planted the story with TG about Harris and Barroway.

I doubt they have the money they just know how to get people together that do have it

If the NHL takes over this isn't a Phoenix situation its more like an LA Dodgers situation (minus the court stuff)

Edited by roomtemp

Peter Angelos says hello.

Also, if the Devils' ownership planted that story, they're even worse businessmen than I thought, and they're not listening to their lawyers.  I would imagine that there is a confidentiality agreement in place.

Edited by Daniel

I agree, Forbes has had as many wrong articles about the Devils the past couple years as the Post has. I won't give it any credence until I see it from somewhere else that's more reputable. Forbes isn't the magazine it used to be, it's a step above a blog version of the Post these days.

Daniel mentioned Angelos but the fact is, Plantiffs Attorneys who are major partners in law firms can make substantial moneys if they win/settle the right case.

The BofA case had a $2 Billion settlement. My buddy's firm saw hundreds of millions in fees from that win alone.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 12m

Although I was told yesterday that nothing was imminent as far as Devils sale being completed, it now it sounds like it could happen quickly

And for the record, I hope TG is correct and it does happen quickly because I'm sick of this sh!t. Just get it done already.

I agree.. What is this like the 4th or 5th time that Forbes and/or NY Post has declared imminent takeover by the NHL? I believe TG and Chere when they say a sale may be close, but not Forbes that the team is about to be taken over by the league. Hasn't happened yet after one of their many near-guarantees.

Really hoping this is the 76ers owner. He sounds wealthy!!

Edit: By the way, where is that dude who claimed VBK was absolutely not giving up his majority share and that we could take his word for it? Curious to know if his insider is still as sure of his info

Edited by Colin226

This is Class A defamation and libel over and over and over again, month after month. I don't understand how the organization allows this to continue, these reporters are actively destroying the organization's image.

The media doesn't care, as long as people click links to their stories they will post anything. Forbes/NY post just want to get the story out before anyone else.

Go to any hockey website and the Devils NHL ownership story will be on the front page and they will all have Forbes as their source. That means more traffic to the Forbes website which means more money.

Step 1: Post story without thoroughly checking your sources or doing research on the topic.

Step 2: ????

Step 3: Profit.

This is Class A defamation and libel over and over and over again, month after month. I don't understand how the organization allows this to continue, these reporters are actively destroying the organization's image.

Because a court battle in which the truth would need to come out would be just as damaging to the Devils, if not more so, than allowing the lies to continue.

The biggest problem is that out-of-town media sees this crap and runs with it because they don't take the time to learn who's legit and who's not.