Panthers, Scott Gomez agree to deal

msweet

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/panthers-scott-gomez-agree-deal-190045541--nhl.html

SUNRISE, Fla. (AP) -- Two-time Stanley Cup champion Scott Gomez is joining the Florida Panthers.

The Panthers said Wednesday that they agreed to terms with the veteran center on a one-year deal. Gomez leads all active U.S.-born NHL players in assists with 530 and points with 701.

I thought the Panthers were on the upside even though we elimnated them in the first round last year. So much for that prediciton.

The only reason they were in that position was decent goal tending from a couple of has beens and the Caps having a terrible first half. Then they lost Garrison just to add insult to injury

The only reason they were in that position was decent goal tending from a couple of has beens and the Caps having a terrible first half. Then they lost Garrison just to add insult to injury

Not to mention the incredibly hot run their top line had. NO WAY was that team going to replicate their year in 11-12 again this past season. Toronto is primed to suffer a similar fate this year.

Is that the mantis shimp in your avatar?  Matthew Inman loves them.

Yeah. I just got him a couple weeks ago. I'm just amazed at how smart and curious it is, constantly moving rocks and sand to perfect it's burrow. Watching it bludgeon an Emerald crab to death was pretty awesome too.

The Oatmeal cartoon is actually what spurred the purchase. I had suggested to a buddy of mine we split the cost on a SW tank, which I've always wanted, but could never afford. Then one day my buddy saw that cartoon and instantly said, "We need this". I agreed.

I thought the Panthers were on the upside even though we elimnated them in the first round last year. So much for that prediciton.

I mean, you have to consider them one of the most unlucky teams in recent years. Did you see the injuries they got last year? It was incredible. Everything that could've gone wrong did, their top 2 lines and top d-men were wiped out with injuries. I kind of felt bad for them. I think they're due for an okay season, wouildn't mind it at all. They showed a lot of balls in their first round with the Devils.

Florida isn't ready to compete. Adding a vet like Gomez isn't bad. He played okay for San Jose. Still a solid faceoff guy and can play power play. The Panthers' future is bright with Markstrom in net, Huberdeau (future captain/star), Gudbranson, Kulikov, Bjugstad and Barkov. It will take time. They must remain patient and allow their kids to develop properly.

Cheap attraction to draw the Miami area hispanic fan base

Creative theory on your part, but I hardly doubt it.  I don't see too many Cubanos wanting to go to a Panther's game to see some guy with "Gomez" on his jersey...

Not to mention the incredibly hot run their top line had. NO WAY was that team going to replicate their year in 11-12 again this past season. Toronto is primed to suffer a similar fate this year.

I disagree.  I actually think that the Panthers are a dangerous team this year. Just their forward corps is underrated and they know who their best players are.  They know who they're upcoming players are, they are like the East Conf. Oilers.  A lot of young talent and getting more underrated players, so it seems like a score by committee team. The defense has some strength too, Gudbranson, Jovanowski(health), Kulikov, Weaver, Campbell.  And as everyone else has stated, Markstrom is poised to take over that starting job this year with FLA not re-signing Theodore, he could be Europe-bound.   So to restate, Oilers and Panthers could surprise the NHL this year.  

I disagree. I actually think that the Panthers are a dangerous team this year. Just their forward corps is underrated and they know who their best players are. They know who they're upcoming players are, they are like the East Conf. Oilers. A lot of young talent and getting more underrated players, so it seems like a score by committee team. The defense has some strength too, Gudbranson, Jovanowski(health), Kulikov, Weaver, Campbell. And as everyone else has stated, Markstrom is poised to take over that starting job this year with FLA not re-signing Theodore, he could be Europe-bound. So to restate, Oilers and Panthers could surprise the NHL this year.

they lost Weiss. They'll have to get over that hump.

I think everyone's been saying the Oilers are going to be good - lot of people thought they'd be good this year.  So I don't think that'll be a surprise.  They now have defensive depth but their top players are still rotten at D.

Also I'm glad that Gomez probably only has one year left, maybe two, so the paternalistic 'Gomez will draw Hispanic fans' idea can be dead and buried once and for all.

Edited by Triumph

I disagree.  I actually think that the Panthers are a dangerous team this year. Just their forward corps is underrated and they know who their best players are.  They know who they're upcoming players are, they are like the East Conf. Oilers.  A lot of young talent and getting more underrated players, so it seems like a score by committee team. The defense has some strength too, Gudbranson, Jovanowski(health), Kulikov, Weaver, Campbell.  And as everyone else has stated, Markstrom is poised to take over that starting job this year with FLA not re-signing Theodore, he could be Europe-bound.   So to restate, Oilers and Panthers could surprise the NHL this year.  

Their D was one of their stronger points in 11-12. That D scored a lot for them and aided in their lack of more than 1 scoring line. I still highly doubt they make much noise next year. I'd put money on it. Too many young guys up front.