Stadium Series

Bartholomew Hunt

Instead of putting up a new thread I figured it was cleaner just to bump this.

It looks like there will be at least 1 Stadium Series game next year as it was leaked through Ticketmaster that there will be a game between the Sharks and the Kings at the new Levi's Stadium (new SF 49er's stadium) on Feb 21, 2015.

I just found this interesting as I thought Bettman said earlier this past off-season that they were putting a hold on the SS games for at least 1 season before thinking about bringing them back.  i guess the $ might have been the main factor in changing his mind.

was there a reason why Bettman said he wanted to put a hold on the SS games for a year?  doesn't make any sense to me as to why you would want to do something like that.

the ratings and revenue should be enough of a reason to keep them, very simple.

was there a reason why Bettman said he wanted to put a hold on the SS games for a year?  doesn't make any sense to me as to why you would want to do something like that.

the ratings and revenue should be enough of a reason to keep them, very simple.

I think he said something to the effect of just too much and they wanted to protect the Winter Classic brand.  Even though I loved the SS last year it did feel like it was a a bit too much.  However, the SS are pretty much the only way a few teams will ever get an outdoor game, including the Devils last year.

Apparently from what I am hearing, there will be only 1 SS game this year.  Also from what I am hearing is that the Kings will be wearing a different jersey this year than their SS jersey from last year.  For the Sharks they will be wearing a brand new jersey but it will not feature orange as it's primary color according to what I am seeing and hearing from jersey insiders (if anyone even cares lol).

I think with the Heritage Classic should be done once every other year since basically that is just drawing from a pool of only 7 NHL teams and could grow stale more quickly than the SS and WC games.

I'm probably in a crazy minority, but I wouldn't mind each team getting one outdoor game per season. I enjoy them that much, the fans obviously do, the teams and the leagues make tons of cash.

Of course, to do that would kill off the novelty within a season or two. I just talked myself out of it.

I'm probably in a crazy minority, but I wouldn't mind each team getting one outdoor game per season. I enjoy them that much, the fans obviously do, the teams and the leagues make tons of cash.

Of course, to do that would kill off the novelty within a season or two. I just talked myself out of it.

Yeah that would be a little much.  However, I do like the idea of a SS game each year where while not as big as the WC, it still showcases teams that would otherwise never have a shot in hell in being in a WC since NBC is the ultimate decision maker in the teams playing in them.  Would love to see an outdoor game in Denver and in Minnesota sometime.

Apparently from what I am hearing, there will be only 1 SS game this year.  Also from what I am hearing is that the Kings will be wearing a different jersey this year than their SS jersey from last year.  For the Sharks they will be wearing a brand new jersey but it will not feature orange as it's primary color according to what I am seeing and hearing from jersey insiders (if anyone even cares lol).

I think with the Heritage Classic should be done once every other year since basically that is just drawing from a pool of only 7 NHL teams and could grow stale more quickly than the SS and WC games.

If the Sharks aren't in teal for that game, I riot.

If the Sharks aren't in teal for that game, I riot.

Someone who has actually seen the concepts (he works in the jersey industry and described the Kings and Ducks SS jerseys last year perfectly right before they were released) said that they are not going in the direction of their early 90's template.  He couldn't divulge more but that can be interpreted both ways.  Could be teal, but not the same design or no teal at all.

He did say though that there will be no orange in it and in fact they want to get rid of orange all together even on their regular jerseys

It's hard to support these games when they insist on sticking the same teams in them. I know it has to do with NBC and ratings. I hope in 2016 the Wild get the Winter Classic and host the Avalanche.

It's hard to support these games when they insist on sticking the same teams in them. I know it has to do with NBC and ratings. I hope in 2016 the Wild get the Winter Classic and host the Avalanche.

Couldn't agree more. This past season definitely killed the novelty for me with all the games played outdoors as well. Edited by Guest

I agree with you.  Each team playing once would be great. Especially since it is the only way some teams will ever get an outdoor game.  Does anyone really think that Pens and Hawks fans were less interested in their game because there were 2 games in NY and a game in LA?  I doubt it.

How many of the outdoor games did you attend?

Zero. My hockey region didnt feature one last year and even if it had, i would've likely missed it. One outdoor game a season is plenty. Edited by Guest

I agree with you. Each team playing once would be great. Especially since it is the only way some teams will ever get an outdoor game. Does anyone really think that Pens and Hawks fans were less interested in their game because there were 2 games in NY and a game in LA? I doubt it.

It's not just about the fans of the teams that are playing though. These games are aired on national tv. If you have too many of them, the ratings will drop due to viewers that aren't fans of either team that's playing and are only watching because of that novelty factor.

Edited by ATLL765

It's not just about the fans of the teams that are playing though. These games are aired on national tv. If you have too many of them, the ratings will drop due to viewers that aren't fans of either team that's playing and are only watching because of that novelty factor.

For the most part, it is about the fans of those teams.  At least for the Stadium Series.  Just look at the prices being charged.  If they stick to one game in the US per year, you can pretty much count on it being a rotation of the following teams:  Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, Blackhawks, Wings, Leafs and Habs (against one of the big market US teams), plus one or two others based on who is the current flavor of the month.  Pittsburgh and Washington are currently flavors of the month because of Crosby and Ovechkin.  Those two aren't going to play forever and when they are done, those teams will not be part of the national radar.  Look at what happened to the Pens during the time between Lemieux retiring and Crosby being drafted.  They went bankrupt, were in the middle of every relocation rumor.  Same will happen again.

Rangers-Devs was on NBC on a sunday afternoon.  Rest were primetime on NBCS.  

Edited by Matteau#32

• 4 weeks later...

Nationals Park was officially announced as the venue for this coming seasons Winter Classic.

I really wish they would stop with using baseball stadiums and instead try to do it at football stadiums only.

Problem with that is the NFL and the uncertainty of playoffs.

College Stadiums are usually no problem, but it usually takes a week-10 days to set up the rink [i think] so it'd be tough/impossible to use NFL ones often