Fox 29 Philadelphia Confirm Devils sold to Josh Harris

trailblazer

This maybe off topic but I just wanted to comment on LL, as I just watched the press conference and his interview.  This guy is an amazing, rare kind of guy.  I don't know many other fans of teams that have the respect towards their GM as much as we do and for good reason.  It will be a sad day when he retires.  I really admire Lou.  The guy VERY rarely misspeaks, every comment and answer is calculated and never takes anything for granted.  "Nothing is done until its done".  I felt like he was thanking Josh for letting him keep his job, which to me was a given.  He doesn't let his emotions get in the way of his decision making.  He has his rules and sticks by them, rarely bending, and often you can see why.  He is very respectful to all and never bashes anyone. 

I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate our GM.  Truly an amazing man. 

Sorry, carry on.

While I agree the team could be more open, I'll be mighty upset if the number policy changes. Maybe I've just gotten so used to it, but it feels unwieldy to see teams with random 62s and 78s and 91s. The occasional high number for a superstar associated with it (Jagr/68) is fine, but I rather like not having numbers over 40.

That's not what annoys me about the numbers.  I too like the fact high numbers are rare, though it's going to get tougher the more numbers that get retired.  It's the random switching around of numbers, like Josefson having 16 then being sent down and getting stuck with 9 because the immortal D'Agostini had 16 by then.  To me if you play a certain # of games, that should stay your number.  Josefson was up long enough over the last few years that people identified 16 with him.

Edited by NJDevs4978

For the umpteenth time...the practices are closed to the public due to security concerns. There's no conspiracy or agenda or deliberate attempt to shut fans out.  

You have an awful lot of familiarity with this debate even though you're a new member, but it's possible that VBK didn't feel like hiring security and that the new owners might.  I wouldn't hold out hope for it, but I guess we'll See if Josh will Pay.

Edited by Triumph

This maybe off topic but I just wanted to comment on LL, as I just watched the press conference and his interview.  This guy is an amazing, rare kind of guy.  I don't know many other fans of teams that have the respect towards their GM as much as we do and for good reason.  It will be a sad day when he retires.  I really admire Lou.  The guy VERY rarely misspeaks, every comment and answer is calculated and never takes anything for granted.  "Nothing is done until its done".  I felt like he was thanking Josh for letting him keep his job, which to me was a given.  He doesn't let his emotions get in the way of his decision making.  He has his rules and sticks by them, rarely bending, and often you can see why.  He is very respectful to all and never bashes anyone. 

Sorry, carry on.

I don't think a lot of people will truly appreciate him until he is gone. He's always stayed professional and calculated. I'm watching Bryan Murray having his meltdown and complaining about Alfredsson's agent, and I'm glad Lou doesn't do that. He just moves on and adjusts his strategy.

That's not what annoys me about the numbers.  I too like the fact high numbers are rare, though it's going to get tougher the more numbers that get retired.  It's the random switching around of numbers, like Josefson having 16 then being sent down and getting stuck with 9 because the immortal D'Agostini had 16 by then.  To me if you play a certain # of games, that should stay your number.  Josefson was up long enough that people identified 16 with him.

That is annoying, but the philosophy is that the number isn't important in the long run. When a guy sticks, he keeps his number. Terreri wore 35, Marty wore 29, Elias wore 22 and 24, Clarkson wore 27, Dowd wore 34, etc. For us now, Josefson switching from 16 to 9 matters, but if he plays 10 years with, say, 9 or 17 or 23, that's what he'll be remembered with.

I don't think a lot of people will truly appreciate him until he is gone. He's always stayed professional and calculated. I'm watching Bryan Murray having his meltdown and complaining about Alfredsson's agent, and I'm glad Lou doesn't do that. He just moves on and adjusts his strategy.

That is annoying, but the philosophy is that the number isn't important in the long run. When a guy sticks, he keeps his number. Terreri wore 35, Marty wore 29, Elias wore 22 and 24, Clarkson wore 27, Dowd wore 34, etc. For us now, Josefson switching from 16 to 9 matters, but if he plays 10 years with, say, 9 or 17 or 23, that's what he'll be remembered with.

Without looking it up I'd be willing to bet most of those guys played fewer than 25 games in those numbers.  Josefson played like 80 or so over multiple seasons.  Yes, a minor quibble but he and even Tedenby have been significant enough parts of the team I'd blink if they had new numbers.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You have an awful lot of familiarity with this debate even though you're a new member, but it's possible that VBK didn't feel like hiring security and that the new owners might.  I guess we'll See if Josh will Pay.

This has been discussed on other message boards and comment sections of various blogs. If you've visited any of them since the arena opened in 2007, you'd see it's been a running issue. It's actually been discussed by the team at STH events as far back as the arena opening. You have people who think there is a conspiracy or some kind of ignorance towards the fans and there is not one.

Yes he did and which one of the new owners said today that the Devils lost $25 M last season? TG mentioned today that the Devils lost $25 M last season.

Try to follow what you have said. You said the devils have never broken even with hockey operations. You can't cite losing $25 mil from the entire team/arena balance sheet one season as evidence.

Edited by devlman

Exciting times - I'd be hard pressed to find a negative about this transaction! Great news for the devils and their fans

Also, can we just address the fact that JVB went from around 200m in debt to probably around at least +75m in his pocket?! Savvy businessman, he is.

Try to follow what you have said. You said the devils have never broken even with hockey operations. You can't cite losing $25 mil from the entire team/arena balance sheet one season as evidence.

Where is your proof.

Especially when they pulled in so much cash in 2011-2012

Show me the proof they made a profit

Where is your proof.

Show me the proof they made a profit

Where's your proof they didn't? TG said sources said they lost 25 million in 2012-13. He also said the devils made 30 million from playoffs alone in 2011-12. It would seem that it was a team that straddled the line between breaking even and losing money from year to year.

Improved off-ice management plus increased attendance could help the team stay in the black much more often.

I actually like the facial hair policy and the policy on no 3rd jerseys.  The number policy and hiding practices from the public I agree with you.

I like the number policy, personally, as well as the facial/unkempt/long hair policy. They're professionals and should appear as such. The numbers, I feel like keeping them low forces everyone to look like a team. It's 1-31 and nearly every number is used.

However, I'd love to catch a practice now and then. Although if it's really that hard for them, it's not the end of the world for me.

I'll vomit if they make a 3rd jersey though.

Where's your proof they didn't? TG said sources said they lost 25 million in 2012-13. He also said the devils made 30 million from playoffs alone in 2011-12. It would seem that it was a team that straddled the line between breaking even and losing money from year to year.

Improved off-ice management plus increased attendance could help the team stay in the black much more often.

He said they made 30 M from the playoffs but that doesn't mean they made a profit for the year.

I am through with this subject.

He said they made 30 M from the playoffs but that doesn't mean they made a profit for the year.

I am through with this subject.

You make a claim that a 30 year old team has NEVER profited, and I point out one year they supposedly and most likely did, and you're done with the subject. 

Lol I am not the one who made the claim. You were. It's on you to show the proof.

Thank you. This exactly

When Lou shows excitement, you know it's a good thing.  It doesn't even feel like a win-win...more like a win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win. 

While I agree the team could be more open, I'll be mighty upset if the number policy changes. Maybe I've just gotten so used to it, but it feels unwieldy to see teams with random 62s and 78s and 91s. The occasional high number for a superstar associated with it (Jagr/68) is fine, but I rather like not having numbers over 40.

I agree. It might be old-fashioned, but it'd start looking like a football team out there after a certain point. Will we have to open up the 30s and 40s pretty soon? Perhaps as numbers get retired, but the idea of it being numbered the way a hockey team ought to be numbered is something I rather appreciate that this team does.

Sorry, carry on.

How the hell we ended up with a guy like this is beyond me, luck of the draw I guess. Right time, right place. And yet, our sport (not the biggest in the country), and our team (not the most famous in the country) gets a rare talent GM like Lou Lamoriello, respected throughout all sports and definitely within the league by all GMs... We're very lucky.

My favorite part of the presser was O'Neil (I think) talking about the first time he met Lamoriello. Lou didn't say a word, he just tossed him a book about Vince Lombardi and said, "Don't come back til you've read it." hahahahaha...

I agree. It might be old-fashioned, but it'd start looking like a football team out there after a certain point. Will we have to open up the 30s and 40s pretty soon? Perhaps as numbers get retired, but the idea of it being numbered the way a hockey team ought to be numbered is something I rather appreciate that this team does.

Probably only two more numbers going up anytime soon, and we know which ones they are.  Outside of 4, 3, 27, 30 and 26, what other numbers would join them?  The only one I can see even having the slightest chance would be 15 (for both MacLean and Langs), but I don't think that ever happens.  Suffice it to say 9 and 17 will be available for a loooooooooooooooong time. 

But yeah, I like "the high numbers only for guys who have long been identified with them rule" too.  Hope that never changes.