NJDevs 2013 Fantasy Football draft finished!

aylbert

I would NEVER start a draft this early..... cases in point why:

Michael Crabtree....out for the year

Willis McGahee....cut today

Victor Cruz....holding out

the general rule of thumb is I start the draft when I get home from Gen Con (August 19-20 depends on the drive home and if I have an ice hockey game that night....since I'm like Captain and all), and then everyone freaks out OMG THIS IS GOING TOO SLOW....and we finish on the day the season starts....as intended :evil: .....and life goes on :)

Starting on August 20 (assuming we have the draft order/keepers done by then and nobody drags their keeper selection on infinitely) would give us 17 days...all the drafts seem to last about that long although one year we started with three whole weeks and still had to come in at the wire.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Starting on August 20 (assuming we have the draft order/keepers done by then and nobody drags their keeper selection on infinitely) would give us 17 days...all the drafts seem to last about that long although one year we started with three whole weeks and still had to come in at the wire.

That's usually what happens....we pick the draft order in the SUPER SECRET DOUBLE TIERED LOTTERY SELECTION, picks and keepers are declared and the glorious nonsense begins the next Monday :)....my guideline is one round per day usually, and not like I don't have everyone's contact info to push people along

Is Gen Con like Comic Con??

Ok so when is the lottery to pick the draft order??

Kinda....more gaming....less comics.... this and my ice hockey road trip to Vermont are what I'm calling a vacation this year

the lottery will be down the road.....this is the part of the season where any rules changes get suggested and duly argued about and we set the table for the draft!

Ah, the draft. I've been a lot less active on the forum than I used to be, but I wouldn't miss the insanity of the forum draft (and the league) for the world. Gotta avenge my loss to Red in the finals.

Here's something that needs to be ironed out...receivers are only given one point per twenty yards receiving in the scoring (as opposed to RB's, who still get one point per ten yards rushing).  I was wondering why the listed WR point totals were so low so I checked out the scoring system and found that.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Here's something that needs to be ironed out...receivers are only given one point per twenty yards receiving in the scoring (as opposed to RB's, who still get one point per ten yards rushing).  I was wondering why the listed WR point totals were so low so I checked out the scoring system and found that.

This is wrong....it should be 10 for either, Calvin Johnson aside your top back will end up with more yards in a season then your top WR, I'll take a peek into last year's results and check this

*confirmed*

Last year's settings:

Passing Yards 25 yards per point; 3 points at 400 yards  

Passing Touchdowns 6

Interceptions -3

Rushing Yards 10 yards per point; 2 points at 150 yards  

Rushing Touchdowns 6  

Reception Yards 10 yards per point; 2 points at 150 yards  

Reception Touchdowns 6  

Return Touchdowns 6  

2-Point Conversions 2  

Fumbles Lost -2  

Offensive Fumble Return TD 6  

Field Goals 0-19 Yards 3  

Field Goals 20-29 Yards 3  

Field Goals 30-39 Yards 3  

Field Goals 40-49 Yards 4  

Field Goals 50+ Yards 5  

Point After Attempt Made 1  

Default Value Sack 1   Interception 2  

Fumble Recovery 2   Touchdown 6  

Safety 4  Block Kick 2  

Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns 6  

Points Allowed 0 points 10  

Points Allowed 1-6 points 7  

Points Allowed 7-13 points 5 

Points Allowed 14-20 points 3

Points Allowed 21-27 points 1

Points Allowed 28-34 points -1  

Points Allowed 35+ points -4

Edited by CRASHER

That's what it was last year but it got changed in this year's settings for whatever reason.

I fixed them to the correct (last year's settings)....any changes can be proposed and voted on in the next six weeks

I would like to see less emphasis on passing yards... 1Pt per 50 yards would've ideal.

I'm not against this....

here's an idea....let's set Aug 1 as the date to propose rule changes....voting can last all week and it gives plenty of time to make changes and updates as needed

Counting just   yards, tds, intereception and fumbles  (true QB)- I'm fine with rushing qb stats;

The top 10 overall QBs did:

406.08 373.8 373.08 371.36 334.76 229 226.76 301.12 244.72

50 yards for 1pt drops the same top to:

302.54 287.9 276.54 278.18 240.38 165 149.38 203.06

Dropping to 3pt td's:

277.08 256.8 271.08 260.36 238.76 169 169.76 217.12

I'm supportive of really either option;  but I'd prefer 1 for 50; as it makes more nailbiters;  will he or wont he throw the fantasy winning TD; as opposed to needing 150 yards late in a game.

Its a passing league now.  Can't de-emphasis this.

Would love to see more points per 30+ yard completion.

The way you de-emphasize it; is by de-emphasizing it.

As long as the rules are known before the draft, I'm open to any changes or non changes :)

Edited by aylbert

Its a passing league now.  Can't de-emphasis this.

Would love to see more points per 30+ yard completion.

The way you de-emphasize it; is by de-emphasizing it.

As long as the rules are known before the draft, I'm open to any changes or non changes :)

He means the reality of the NFL now, more then it's fantasy effect....

I'm very much against lowering a passing TD...to me a TD is a TD, and now you over-value the Vicks and Newtons of the world who run in TDs

I'm very much against lowering a passing TD...to me a TD is a TD

Agreed, but the QB point totals are probably too high in general so I'd be inclined to go along with the point per 50 yards suggestion (keeping fractional points so you don't get completely screwed with 49 yards lol).

Agreed... I'd very much prefer a TD be a TD be a TD... but very much want QBs total lowered more.

I think 1 per 50 (with fractions like we have) works better and keeps everyone happier.

Plus like I mentioned...   I'd much rather have the game come down to a TD pass than praying for some hail marys at the end of a game.

Regarding QB Scoring, I have two other suggestions:

1) Small bonus for completion percentage.  

In my league, every QB gets +0.1 pts for a completion and -0.1 pts for an incompletion.  While in my league I may play slightly with the numbers to have the break-even point be 55% instead of 50%, I would suggest the same idea to give a small bonus to more accurate QB's, and, in a small way, penalize QB's who just chuck over and over again at thin air.

2) Small Pick-Six penalty

Interceptions suck, but there is nothing more painful to a team than a QB throwing a Pick Six. Nothing huge...-1 pt for each Pick Six is what I suggest.

In my cash league we do -3 for a pick six... with the -3 interception;  effectively taking a way a TD from the QB... which I feel is fair.

I like the idea of adding accuracy if we keep it minimal impact...  it looks like it would add 30pts to Rodgers if we kept it .1/-.1;  it would really depend what we are taking away from QBs first.

I would also like to see kickers penalized for missing short yardage....   maybe -2pt for 0-19, and -1pt for 20-29...   30-39 yards I don't think should be penalized...    but it could always be -3, -2, -1