NJDevs 2013 Fantasy Football draft finished!

aylbert

Is 1 Pt for 50 yards too drastic a change??

Probably, but I think we all like the easy to digest numbers like 10, 25, 50, etc....plus most QBs get you points with their feet now too (a major reason QB scoring is so elevated now)....maybe that's a step to balance it out too....one point per 20 rushing for QBs since their job SHOULD be to throw the damn ball :P .....but that's what this thread is now....debate before we vote in August

• 2 weeks later...

A TD should never be less than 6pts

QB 1pt/50 seems like a lotta yards for nothin to me, but it may be interesting to see.

The only reason I'd consider either is its kind of silly for the 15th best QB to be as high a scorer as an elite WR/RB although a TD as less than six points is an absolute last resort IMO. The one point per 50 yards is a bit of a compromise.

A TD should never be less than 6pts

QB 1pt/50 seems like a lotta yards for nothin to me, but it may be interesting to see.

And that's the point...   it reduces the points a  QB gets in half for yardage; while keeping TDs at 6...    It scales back QBs a bit so they are sooo dominant in this league.  

I was actually going to come on here and argue the point on running quarterbacks being broken and not all QBs, but I took a second look at the top point scorers on the leaderboard.

21 of 25 of them are QB's, of all different varieties.

From a total fantasy point perspective...in our league, Matt Ryan and Tony Romo had a better season than Adrian Peterson, and Philip Rivers was the 25th best player in fantasy football despite being the 21st-ranked QB.

Based on that and the look at our scoring, I'm going to look at the yardage, but I am for sure behind raising the yardage for passing, though I'm not automatically sold on 50 without giving something back. Also, the 3 pts for 400 yards needs to go up to 450 or 500. I'm not sure how many people hit that, but I'm sure it was more times than originally intended.

I was actually going to come on here and argue the point on running quarterbacks being broken and not all QBs, but I took a second look at the top point scorers on the leaderboard.

21 of 25 of them are QB's, of all different varieties.

From a total fantasy point perspective...in our league, Matt Ryan and Tony Romo had a better season than Adrian Peterson, and Philip Rivers was the 25th best player in fantasy football despite being the 21st-ranked QB.

Based on that and the look at our scoring, I'm going to look at the yardage, but I am for sure behind raising the yardage for passing, though I'm not automatically sold on 50 without giving something back. Also, the 3 pts for 400 yards needs to go up to 450 or 500. I'm not sure how many people hit that, but I'm sure it was more times than originally intended.

This is baffling, but its a great argument to boost the value of running backs.

Well if 21 of 25 are QBs, then in essence the universal excellence does dilute the need to have one on your team and puts a premium on getting a top end back and/or WR

and it is a QB league now, this is just the fantasy stats reflecting this.....Brian, does this trend hold in our other two leagues also??

if it does, then it's not the scoring system and just a trend in the NFL

Shane's league is so ridiculously QB-stacked it's not funny, so yes, 21/25 are QB's (and only Peterson finished remarkably ahead of the pack - the rest of the rb's placed 23rd, 24th, and 25th). Notably Adrian Peterson finished like 5 total points ahead of Josh Freeman, and Ryan Fitzpatrick finished ahead of Arian Foster in total points.

The league I run...

Top 25 (in order) overall scorers based on 2012 scoring:

Aaron Rodgers

Adrian Peterson
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Robert Griffin III
Doug Martin
Arian Foster
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Russell Wilson
Marshawn Lynch
Brandon Marshall
Ray Rice
Calvin Johnson
Alfred Morris
Tony Romo
Jamaal Charles
Trent Richardson
Dez Bryant
C.J. Spiller
A.J. Green
Andy Dalton
Andrew Luck
Wes Welker

QB - 11 RB - 9 WR - 5

But that's such a tough reconciliation, because the offensive scoring systems are SO different (mine is below, in case anyone's interested). 

Completions .1
Incomplete Passes -.1
Passing Yards 50 yards per point; 5 points at 500 yards
Passing Touchdowns 6
Interceptions -3
Rushing Yards 10 yards per point; 5 points at 200 yards
Rushing Touchdowns 6
Receptions 1
Reception Yards 20 yards per point; 5 points at 200 yards
Reception Touchdowns 6
Return Touchdowns 6
2-Point Conversions 2
Fumbles Lost -2
Offensive Fumble Return TD 6
Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

if we made a pick 6 - 6 would it change things much inthe rankings?

This is a ballache to figure out, because most of the sources I've seen don't track the stat officially (I'm actually stunned that Yahoo is offering it, probably a first in FF).

Here's what I can figure out from a small sampling of who threw an interception that resulted in a touchdown (please hold all "Fail Mary" cracks, this is seriouz fantasy football buzinezz) and their adjusted scores under -3 (aylbert) and -6 (redruM) rules.

Stafford: 4, 292.58, 280.58
Brees: 3, 409.58, 400.58
Freeman: 3, 279.50, 270.50
Romo: 2, 318.92, 312.92
Palmer: 2, 251.32, 245.32
E. Manning: 2, 266.92, 260.92
Newton: 2, 343.46, 337.46
Vick: 1, 162.68, 159.68*
Rodgers: 0, same, same

For reference, the top 3 at RB/WR:

RB:
Adrian Peterson - 321.40
Arian Foster - 266.10
Doug Martin - 264.60

WR: 
Megatron: 228.40
Brandon Marshall: 220.60
Dez Bryant: 209.70

TE's start in the 150's, and aside from Chicago Defenses start in the low 200's. Kickers are irrelevant.

Maybe with the change in yardage, this will help bring the high-volume QB's down towards the mean (assuming that we want the mean to be in the 250's with the rest of the "good" players' means). By itself it doesn't completely destroy the QB's dominance.

EDIT: Because I like extrapolating useless scenarios, Vick's numbers over 16 games project out to 227.62 (no change), 218.62 (-3), 209.62 (-6)

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

For reference, the top 3 at RB/WR:

RB:
Adrian Peterson - 321.40
Arian Foster - 266.10
Doug Martin - 264.60

WR: 
Megatron: 228.40
Brandon Marshall: 220.60
Dez Bryant: 209.70

TE's start in the 150's, and aside from Chicago Defenses start in the low 200's. Kickers are irrelevant.

Maybe with the change in yardage, this will help bring the high-volume QB's down towards the mean (assuming that we want the mean to be in the 250's with the rest of the "good" players' means). By itself it doesn't completely destroy the QB's dominance.

EDIT: Because I like extrapolating useless scenarios, Vick's numbers over 16 games project out to 227.62 (no change), 218.62 (-3), 209.62 (-6)

How did I squander this?   arg.

The more I think of it, the more I keep thinking that the QB Dominance is just a reflection of the actual play on the field now....it is a QB happy league, 4,000 yard QBs are a dime a dozen now, more teams are throwing the ball more then ever and it's just kinda how it is now, I think I'm ok with this too, it kinda self-balances because you have so many options to choose from, but we can start the actual voting and debating on Aug 1 !

Aug 1-12: rule change proposals and votes

Aug 12: the pre-draft order selection process and the keeper declaration

Draft Day is Aug 19

Draft to end Sept 5, right around 4pm :lol:

Still alive and kicking Crasher. Nice.

Ain't no grave keepin this body down....

....hell most people will DREAM of being as active as I am at 40!

When we vote... I would like binary votes; not the divided vote we've done in the past

Ie

Should QB scoring. Yes/No

Then, if yes... We have another poll with two or three options to change it.

Well if there is more than two options to a poll we are going to need two polls cause it's hard to come to a seven-person consensus on anything with more than two choices.  Like say the QB passing yards scoring.  If the choices are:

-Don't change

-Change to 30 yards passing per point

-Change to 50 yards passing per point

What happens if the voting comes out to 5-4-3?  More votes for don't change than any other single choice, but more people are actually voting 'for' change.

If there are only two options otoh (don't change and one of the two above) then there shouldn't be another poll needed.