Kovy to Russian media: "Stanley Cup remains my target."

ghdi

I thought the main reason he went to the KHL was because he wanted to raise his family in Russia. Living in his home country became more important than having a shot at the Stanley Cup. It makes me wonder if the Devils organization is his problem.

If he wants to come back while he still has a decent chance of winning the Stanley Cup, he'll have a hard time being accepted by the NHL.

That's, of course, if there's any truth to this report. I can't comment on the legitimacy of the source, but Kovalchuk usually says the "right" thing, and I'm suspicious he would not have said that after signing a contract with a team that cannot win the Stanley Cup, regardless of whether that's how he really feels. Also, remember a few months ago: "I didn't retire from the NHL to talk about returning to the NHL." I can't imagine he's already regretting that decision.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat, he's a hell of a player.

Not me, he can go **** himself.  You can't rely on a nutty merc to be any kind of a key player for you.  Especially after he cost the Devils two draft picks and $3 million for exactly one and a half 'good' seasons.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Not me, he can go **** himself.  You can't rely on a nutty merc to be any kind of a key player for you.  Especially after he cost the Devils two draft picks and $3 million for exactly one and a half 'good' seasons.

Well I'd rather see the team be as good as possible rather than continue to be butthurt about him leaving.  It's not fair to say he cost the Devils those picks and $3 million, it's not like they knew they would have to pay that in order to sign him.  Actually that wasn't even for signing him since the league voided that contract anyway.  That punishment is so ridiculous the only people you can point the finger at is the NHL itself.

Well I'd rather see the team be as good as possible rather than continue to be butthurt about him leaving.  It's not fair to say he cost the Devils those picks and $3 million, it's not like they knew they would have to pay that in order to sign him.  Actually that wasn't even for signing him since the league voided that contract anyway.  That punishment is so ridiculous the only people you can point the finger at is the NHL itself.

Kovalchuk had to get his $90 million over 10 years or he was bolting to the KHL THEN.  If he was such an innocent they wouldn't have even had an issue with the second contract to the point where it was delayed another week.

Good team?  We missed the playoffs two out of his three full years and were Zajac and Henrique OT goals against an inferior team away from having the Kovalchuk era be a total black mark.  And that was BEFORE he pulled this, you think any of those guys would ever accept him back after he up and quit on them?

Kovalchuk had to get his $90 million over 10 years or he was bolting to the KHL THEN.  If he was such an innocent they wouldn't have even had an issue with the second contract to the point where it was delayed another week.

Good team?  We missed the playoffs two out of his three full years and were Zajac and Henrique OT goals against an inferior team away from having the Kovalchuk era be a total black mark.  And that was BEFORE he pulled this, you think any of those guys would ever accept him back after he up and quit on them?

The issue with the 2nd contract was that the NHL COULDN'T strike it down, not that it could.  It needed assurances that it wouldn't happen again.

Edited by Triumph

Kovalchuk wasn't worth his cap hit when he was here. What would someone have to pay him to get him to come to the NHL? More than he is worth, certainly.

If you're saying that you don't think he was worth the cap hit in the years he was here, i.e. not accounting for what he would have been paid down the road, you're clearly wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD