Kovy to Russian media: "Stanley Cup remains my target."

ghdi

SD, this pretty much sums up Kovy.  He was capable of great and dynamic moments, but wasn't really great overall.  In an odd way, if he hadn't suddenly become almost automatic in the shootout for a while, his shortcomings might have been brought up more.  His 2011-2012 numbers were definitely eye-friendly, but when picked apart, even that year isn't quite as good as it looked.   

I agree with Tri...overall the Devils got reasonably close to the value of Kovy's 1st three seasons (considering how these mega-deals can go, that's not bad), but I don't think they were going to get that kind of "almost" value in the seasons to come, which is why I'm not at all sorry that he's gone.  As for the original topic of this thread...I don't care about Kovy anymore, what he says, what he does...he's no longer a part of the Devils.  If he ever comes back to the NHL and the Devils play against him, I'll think about him then...but he simply doesn't exist to me as anything more than a past Devil.   

that was not really the question, Tri never said how much he thought a player like that is worth cap wize... look around at all the other players with bigger cap hits than his and you'll see that his is really not bad (or was) wtv.

Obviously guys like Malkin are superior but is he REALLY worth like 3m MORE per year than Kovy ? Thats a fvcking lot of money

Kovalchuk is going to come back to the NHL.  He won't care about the money, he'll just go to a great team, sign for cheap and chase the cup.

I know there are hard feelings for NJ fans, but I would very much want the team he choses to be my team.  Unless he really falls off he will still be able to contribute on the PP.  

Kovalchuk is going to come back to the NHL.  He won't care about the money, he'll just go to a great team, sign for cheap and chase the cup.

I know there are hard feelings for NJ fans, but I would very much want the team he choses to be my team.  Unless he really falls off he will still be able to contribute on the PP.  

thats what we thought Jagr would do... yet he just goes where the money is

I don't think this is true - I think the amount Kovalchuk makes is very important to him.  He had a contract holdout once in his career, signed a contract ruled illegal, and then signed another one for giant money.  He's getting paid a lot in Russia too.  I don't like to describe athletes as greedy, but I do think there is an element of status to being very well-paid and I think Kovalchuk enjoyed that status.

SD, this pretty much sums up Kovy.  He was capable of great and dynamic moments, but wasn't really great overall.  In an odd way, if he hadn't suddenly become almost automatic in the shootout for a while, his shortcomings might have been brought up more.  His 2011-2012 numbers were definitely eye-friendly, but when picked apart, even that year isn't quite as good as it looked.   

I agree with Tri...overall the Devils got reasonably close to the value of Kovy's 1st three seasons (considering how these mega-deals can go, that's not bad), but I don't think they were going to get that kind of "almost" value in the seasons to come, which is why I'm not at all sorry that he's gone.  As for the original topic of this thread...I don't care about Kovy anymore, what he says, what he does...he's no longer a part of the Devils.  If he ever comes back to the NHL and the Devils play against him, I'll think about him then...but he simply doesn't exist to me as anything more than a past Devil.   

The idea of a massive front-loaded deal is that you get enormous value out of the first few seasons.  Getting neutral value out of it isn't a good deal because the deal will turn sour in its later years.

thats what we thought Jagr would do... yet he just goes where the money is

Gambling addiction ain't cheap... (oh wait I just rememebered Jagr's a Devil now whoops... :giggle: ).  Also I think Jagr just wants to play primarily and doesn't care about the cup anymore.  He'll go where the opportunity is to play on the top two lines.  

I don't think this is true - I think the amount Kovalchuk makes is very important to him.  He had a contract holdout once in his career, signed a contract ruled illegal, and then signed another one for giant money.  He's getting paid a lot in Russia too.  I don't like to describe athletes as greedy, but I do think there is an element of status to being very well-paid and I think Kovalchuk enjoyed that status.

I don't think I have much insight into Kovy's psychology, and maybe Kovy does love the KHL because he loves being "the man" and having that status and only sees a big contract as a way to keep that status.  But imo money isn't the primary motivator for his decisions.  He turned down a $100 million dollar contract from Atlanta for example.  The reason Kovy took so long to sign in NJ was (imo) because he (and his family) really wanted to go to LA but the money difference was just too astronomical to pass up.  He doesn't seem to me to be a paper chaser, and I see him as being even less of one after making massive money for four years in Russia.

I don't think I have much insight into Kovy's psychology, and maybe Kovy does love the KHL because he loves being "the man" and having that status and only sees a big contract as a way to keep that status.  But imo money isn't the primary motivator for his decisions.  He turned down a $100 million dollar contract from Atlanta for example.  The reason Kovy took so long to sign in NJ was (imo) because he (and his family) really wanted to go to LA but the money difference was just too astronomical to pass up.  He doesn't seem to me to be a paper chaser, and I see him as being even less of one after making massive money for four years in Russia.

He said the team he wanted to win in the playoffs was a big market team so he would get more money back from escrow.  And yes, he passed on money from Atlanta, but with the hope that he would get that or more in free agency.  I'd be very surprised if he came back to the NHL for anything less than his perceived market value (which at that time will probably be around $8M/year)

He said the team he wanted to win in the playoffs was a big market team so he would get more money back from escrow.  And yes, he passed on money from Atlanta, but with the hope that he would get that or more in free agency.  I'd be very surprised if he came back to the NHL for anything less than his perceived market value (which at that time will probably be around $8M/year)

Not true, or at least what he said was that he was aware of the possibility that Atlanta would relocate. 

Oh I think Kovalchuk absolutely believed he would get multiple $100 million offers in FA.  That's why the KHL became a real threat when he only got 'one' $100 million offer and he had to get so much of that money in the first ten years of the deal.

If the reports are to be believed, he apparently got something like that from the Isles. 

Kovy? Who's that?

Oh I see, some dude who plays in the KHL... you can't win the Stanley Cup there so his goal is unlikely to be achieved.

Kovy? Who's that?

Oh I see, some dude who plays in the KHL... you can't win the Stanley Cup there so his goal is unlikely to be achieved.

hell yeah. POD. first drubk post and it feels great

how i wish we somehow win the cup without him while he's still in Russia and that he never come back and that if he does that he doesnt win it.

Crosby can win another 2-3 cups i dont even care, but i dont want to ever see Parise or Kovy lifting it.

Am I the only chronically optimistic poster here?  There's no precise timeline but Elias will make it happen.

Not true, or at least what he said was that he was aware of the possibility that Atlanta would relocate. 

If he signed elsewhere he was relocating anyway.

Gambling addiction ain't cheap... (oh wait I just rememebered Jagr's a Devil now whoops... :giggle: ).  Also I think Jagr just wants to play primarily and doesn't care about the cup anymore.  He'll go where the opportunity is to play on the top two lines.  

He loves the money.   He's a whore and there's no reason to over rationalize what he does.   He is going to make alot of "value" over there.   Maybe not an equal amount of money, but definitely well surpassing it in perks.

If he signed elsewhere he was relocating anyway.

He loves the money.   He's a whore and there's no reason to over rationalize what he does.   He is going to make alot of "value" over there.   Maybe not an equal amount of money, but definitely well surpassing it in perks.

He is making $15M/year for 4 years with a 13% tax vs 45% tax against what he was making under contract with the Devils plus whatever the league wanted to withhold. You do the math and after 4 years he can sign again if someone wants him.  Then there are the perks from Russia. 

I think he meant it. He's grateful Lou allowed him to take this opportunity.  Sure it's posturing too, trying to make sure it's not that Lou has merely given him enough rope as the saying goes. :uni:

The league thought Sutter was an a$$hole - I'm not sure anyone will want Kovalchuk back if he wants to come so much. Honestly lou probably is the only person who would give him another chance - if it worked for the team.  To quit the team cleanly isn't quite the same as to quit on the team while taking up valuable roster space, you know?

OK

now enough of this  :evil:  Case closed until he wants back in the league after Schneider proves himself and Larsson and Merrill (et alia really) bring back Devils D!

So over Kovalchuk.  Hope he has some fun seasons in the KHL and never steps foot on NA ice again.

I'd be okay with him coming back and getting speared on his first shift.