2014 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

Found this on HF: Connor Chatham - Forward - Plymouth Whalers

Chatham is a real big kid who came into the year with some reasonably high expectations because he was a late '95, had already had a successful year in the USHL and was highly rated by NHL Central Scouting. But that certainly wasn't the case early on where he had only 5 goals in his first 33 games. The physical component to his game was there during that time, but he looked timid offensively and was not very effective with the puck. He slowly improved over the season though and as his confidence blossomed, so did his offensive contribution. In the final 26 games of the year (including playoffs), Chatham had 11 goals, and 10 assists. He used his size (6'3, 225lbs) to drive the net hard and became a very effective offensive player off the rush because he's also a solid skater for a big man. The only negative thing for me is that as he got better offensively, I found him to be less engaged physically. Like any power forward prospect, he'll need to find a way to use his size and tenacity away from the puck to fuel his offensive game with more consistency.

This is a pick I will complain about because while I imagine that most of the legit skill players are off the board, it's hard to imagine high upside on these stats.

And this is what the complaining should be about. Another big kid with no offensive upside. I just don't get what the scouts see in these players.

Edit: I get what they see, but rather...why do they think it is imperative that they keep drafting these players.

Edited by devilsrule33

And this is what the complaining should be about. Another big kid with no offensive upside. I just don't get what the scouts see in these players.

Edit: I get what they see, but rather...why do they think it is imperative that they keep drafting these players.

This is where i have a problem with these picks... If we'd have a good nhl team with no holes well wtv... Pick wtv... But were desperately lacking scoring skills.. All thoses "good player who play the game right way and can contribute once in awhile" players are imterchangeable and evennnn if they'd reach their full potential... We have tons of those guys theres no room. Same with our dmen... Take a damn chance here.

I said it the other day but this is why we watch our team play well all game but we cant finish so we feel we "dominate" games but cant score so we still lose. we have too much of the same thing

This is where i have a problem with these picks... If we'd have a good nhl team with no holes well wtv... Pick wtv... But were desperately lacking scoring skills.. All thoses "good player who play the game right way and can contribute once in awhile" players are imterchangeable and evennnn if they'd reach their full potential... We have tons of those guys theres no room. Same with our dmen... Take a damn chance here.

I said it the other day but this is why we watch our team play well all game but we cant finish so we feel we "dominate" games but cant score so we still lose. we have too much of the same thing

"We just need to stay the course". -- Lou Lamoriello

Chatham isn't a 'safe pick'.  It's just an attempt to find a skill player in a big body.  If Lou or Conte uses the word Milan Lucic I'm going to lose it.  It's just a flawed assessment of how hockey games are won and lost and how goals are generally scored.

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils:

Claude Lemieux on Devils' passing on his son, Brendan in first round: “You’ve got to respect their view and their choice. I think they...

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils:

Claude Lemieux: "... made a mistake, but it’s good for Buffalo and time will tell.”

Honestly, this has to be one of the more depressing days I've had as a Devils fan.  We'll see about Quennesville, but otherwise Lou and Conte have done absolutely nothing to improve the team's long term prospects. 

We just drafted this guy in the 5th: http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_draftprospect.htm?dpid=93979
Ryan Rehill, D Kamloops (WHL)

He seems completely useless.

Honestly, this has to be one of the more depressing days I've had as a Devils fan.  We'll see about Quennesville, but otherwise Lou and Conte have done absolutely nothing to improve the team's long term prospects. 

I'm sure this Tuesday will surpass today's depression.

This draft is the worst, so no matter what the scouting report says of each player, it was always going to be hard to do that.

This draft is the worst, so no matter what the scouting report says of each player, it was always going to be hard to do that.

I can live with draft busts, and I wasn't expecting miracles.  At the same time, just take a godamned chance on someone with some upside after the first or even the second round.   Someone that's fast, has an unusually good shot, skates well, just anything.

Our second round pick is a defenseman that, if Lou/Conte buy their own propaganda, only should make the big club if their highly touted defensive prospects either bust or get hurt.  Our third round pick is a guy that might be Mike Rupp.  Our fifth is another defenseman that gets into a lot of fights. 

lol you guys are just a ball of sunshine.

I'll withhold judgment until the dust settles.  But if both of Volchenkov and Salvador are on the team, Fayne is gone, and no improvement is made to the forward group (much less an awful signing like Brian Gionta), I would really say that if the Devils do not make the playoffs, Lou needs to go.