2014 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

I won't repeat after you because the Devils have Reid Boucher who put up extremely impressive numbers at Sarnia and had about as good a rookie AHL season coming of junior as any Devils prospect has in the last 10 years.  On his callup he didn't look out of place, either.  A long NHL career is likely.

The Devils probably think that one of Bell, Kujawinski, Coleman, Matteau, Black, Johnson, Thomson, Wood, Pietila, or Kerfoot will be something at the NHL level.  They may add to that list with a free agent as well.

Elite level scoring, obviously they lack, outside of Boucher who likely will not become a consistent 30 goal guy.  They were going to lack that anyway after this draft.

Again, you're missing the point.  No one is saying that any of the players available are a certainty to turn into goal scorers at the NHL level.  The point is that passing people that put up more than 90 points over what they took is a good way to ensure that the scoring is not going to get better.  It also shows that Lou and Conte are taking a "What, Me Worry" attitude in that department.

PP players are quite easy to pick up through UFA. What NJ seems to find are players who can outplay the opposition 5 on 5. I am going to work in a 3 year chunk since it is impossibe to possibly look that far ahead.

3rd RW Brunner 28-31 (Low NHL miles)

1st/2nd LW Henrique 24-27

3rd CJosefson 23-26

2nd C Zajac 29-32

2nd/3rd LW Matteau 20-23

3rd/4th RW Silso 26-29

1st/2nd RW/LW Boucher 20-23

2nd/3rd C Quenneville 18-21 (won't make team now)

3rd LW Sekac 22-25 (Possibly)

This is not to mention toolsy shooters like Pietila, Black, Johnson and Coleman who will likely be ok possession players at the minor league level or roles at he NHL level.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

This draft was very underwhelming. And now we wait for Lou to do nothing during FA (outside of signing Gionta) and watch him refuse to use the buyout on Volch. I wish Fayne all the best...

I started out the day thinking you were a troll, now I'm fearing you have psychic powers. 

PP players are quite easy to pick up through UFA. What NJ seems to find are players who can outplay the opposition 5 on 5. I am going to work in a 3 year chunk since it is impossibe to possibly look that far ahead.

3rd RW Brunner 28-31 (Low NHL miles)

1st/2nd LW Henrique 24-27

3rd CJosefson 23-26

2nd C Zajac 29-32

2nd/3rd LW Matteau 20-23

3rd/4th RW Silso 26-29

1st/2nd RW/LW Boucher 20-23

2nd/3rd C Quenneville 18-21 (won't make team now)

3rd LW Sekac 22-25 (Possibly)

This is not to mention toolsy shooters like Pietila, Black, Johnson and Coleman who will likely be ok possession players at the minor league level or roles at he NHL level.

I don't understand this post at all. Are the numbers their ages? Why are they listed like that? Are these people supposed to be good 5 on 5? If so, how do you know?

Also, what happens if MIles Wood isn't all this college hype and puts up 35 points in 40 games while Dudek puts up 27 points in 40 games the following year. Our forward prospect pool looks all that much stronger.

I don't understand this post at all. Are the numbers their ages? Why are they listed like that? Are these people supposed to be good 5 on 5? If so, how do you know?

Quite a few of them project to be good 5 on 5 players and it shows NJ has plenty of 2nd/3rd line depth moving forward with current 1st line players.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

If Henrique sticks at wing, clearly the biggest need for the franchise is not winger, where they have a bunch of guys who can at least plausibly play the position, but center, where they have Zajac and maybe Josefson and a whole lot of nothing going forward.

Stastny would be winning the lottery. No reason for the Devils not to be the highest bidder. If he doesn't come here, it can't be because of money

I started out the day thinking you were a troll, now I'm fearing you have psychic powers.

No hard feelings. I'm no troll. I've been watching this team since the days of Claude Vilgrain but I'm fed up with Lou's stubbornness and Conte's blindness and I'm growing increasingly pessimistic with every subpar move they make. And the fact that we left Barbashev and Point on the table in exchange for goons just confirms my pessimism. Lou and Conte believe the way to build a team is by resurrecting the "Crash Line", saturating the team with non-offensive fowards, and hoping Jagr and Elias can play into their late 40's.

No way Stastny comes here. He's staying put in Colorado. Roy, Cammellerri, Pacioretty, Vrbata...none of them are coming here either. I have a bad feeling Gionta is. And I have an even worse feeling Lou feels these other players aren't necessary for the team to score.

Edited by slasher72

So being at the draft these past two days was interesting. Couple notes:

1) Flyers fans hate the Penguins. I mean, they REALLY hate the Penguins.

2) It's pretty special to watch these kids get their names called. We were actually seated right next to a kid who went to Colorado today (3rd round, blanking on the name. Kid was from Quebec, parents were speaking french) but watching the celebration was awesome. The parents in particular were just besides themselves.. water works and everything. You can tell this really means a lot to them (obviously).

3) Lou and Conte apparently just don't get it..or have a very interesting way of going about building this team. One highlight from the day - I was sitting on the side closest to the Devils table, and around the...5th or 6th round, Conte got up to leave the floor (presumably to go the bathroom or something) and I actually yelled as he walked by "COME ON CONTE, WE NEED SCORING FORWARDS!" like a total moron. He actually stopped, turned around to look at me and mouthed something...I thought I saw him say "don't worry about it" or something along those lines..but the people I was with were certain he said something a little less...uh..friendly. He probably thought I was an idiot but I don't care, I was just pleased to have gotten his attention.

4) That Wells-Fargo Center has aged really well. Still seems like a really, really nice arena and it's what..15+ years old now? And Xfinity Live! is a blast. Wish the Devils had a place like that near the arena.

xfinity live is a license to print money.

Stastny would be winning the lottery. No reason for the Devils not to be the highest bidder. If he doesn't come here, it can't be because of money

After today's debacle it wouldn't shock me if Lou hasn't spoken with any UFAs in the past few days, or that he has even thought about offering anything significant to someone like Stastny. 

Edited by Daniel

After today's debacle it wouldn't shock me if Lou hasn't spoken with any UFAs in the past few days, or that he has even thought about offering anything significant to someone like Stastny. 

Chere said Lou described free agent discussions as "distracting." Not a good sign.

My guess is that he plans to bring back Brian Gionta, along with CBGB, and that's it.  Or at least that's according to a source on this board.

My guess is that he plans to bring back Brian Gionta, along with CBGB, and that's it. Or at least that's according to a source on this board.

I may jump over the rail in the 100s if we end up getting stuck having to watch Brian shoot straight into the logo on the goalies jersey all season long. Ugh.

Chere said Lou described free agent discussions as "distracting." Not a good sign.

It probably is very distracting when it's the same week as the draft. That doesn't seem like a very bad statement at all. In fact if Bryan Murray or dean Lombardi someone said it, we'd probably not even notice.

It probably is very distracting when it's the same week as the draft. That doesn't seem like a very bad statement at all. In fact if Bryan Murray or dean Lombardi someone said it, we'd probably not even notice.

Dead Lombardi could litterally just forfeit all his picks from this year and next year and still be in great shape. 

Lou and Conte definitely didn't go into this draft with BPA in mind. If I'm Lou I go with BPA for the simple fact that we don't have much in the way of prospects if a trade is needed.

I keep hearing that FLA is looking for two veteran d men. Perhaps we can trade Volch or Sal plus something else for a guy like Brad Boyes.

Lou and Conte definitely didn't go into this draft with BPA in mind. If I'm Lou I go with BPA for the simple fact that we don't have much in the way of prospects if a trade is needed.

I keep hearing that FLA is looking for two veteran d men. Perhaps we can trade Volch or Sal plus something else for a guy like Brad Boyes.

You sure do love Brad Boyes.  I think that's four years in a row you never stop talking about trading for him or signing him.

Pretty much went BPA for both picks. Unless Petterson, England or Mason were ranked ahead of Quenneville they went with the top two players on their list by far. Anything after the second round, it would be nice if they went for skill but given how well NJ has done in those rounds in the past, I seem to trust them.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

You sure do love Brad Boyes.  I think that's four years in a row you never stop talking about trading for him or signing him.

He only makes 2.75 million and he was good for 21 goals last season.

I was big on him and Mason Raymond last off season. I'm still high on both. Raymond put up 19 goals and 45 points last season. I would have preferred him over Brunner.

Edited by CarpathianForest