2014 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

Boo. When this was announced I looked him up on youtube. All there was on there were fight clips. I don't know where Lou gets Henrique from. He did put up decent points this past season. I hear he needs to work on his skating so I'm thinking nay Henrique more like Clarkson. Way to fvck it up, Lou. I swear I wouldn't be surprised if we had number 1 pick next season and Lou passes on McDavid.

Are you really that dense? You looked up a bunch of Youtube clips, saw that they were fights and decided he's a bad pick? There's so much wrong with this I don't even know where to begin.

This pick angers me even more as I think about it.  Maybe TG can ask Lou if he feels that he doesn't figure that most of the defenseman he's invested draft picks in in the past few years will not be on the team long term. 

Maybe Lou really is getting too old. 

Edited by Daniel

I still didn't get my rant in from last night because the site was down.

I can't believe I sat there for three hours and missed my teams pick. fvck that. And to think if every GM just went up to the podium and made their pick instead of fvcking around and talking about their draft party then we probably wouldve gotten the last three picks in. fvckin bullsh!t

This pick angers me even more as I think about it.  Maybe TG can ask Lou if he feels that he doesn't figure that most of the defenseman he's invested draft picks in in the past few years will not be on the team long term. 

Maybe Lou really is getting too old. 

Well he probably is, but he defers to Conte completely for the draft. It's very possible the Devils need new blood in their scouting department, but I imagine that Conte will be here as long as Lou is.

Well he probably is, but he defers to Conte completely for the draft. It's very possible the Devils need new blood in their scouting department, but I imagine that Conte will be here as long as Lou is.

I can't say whether scouting, as such, is the issue.  This guy can be a very good prospect for all we know, but there's just no room for him, and we need forwards in the worst way.  It's on Lou to manage assets, and that's been really shaky as of late.

It almost seems that Lou's stuck in the early 2000s when the team didn't have that many holes, and you could do a straight best player available draft. 

I can't say whether scouting, as such, is the issue. This guy can be a very good prospect for all we know, but there's just no room for him, and we need forwards in the worst way. It's on Lou to manage assets, and that's been really shaky as of late.

It almost seems that Lou's stuck in the early 2000s when the team didn't have that many holes, and you could do a straight best player available draft.

A D-for-forward trade is loooooong overdue now. I'm really hoping something happens in the next few days. Edited by MadDog2020

I can't say whether scouting, as such, is the issue.  This guy can be a very good prospect for all we know, but there's just no room for him, and we need forwards in the worst way.  It's on Lou to manage assets, and that's been really shaky as of late.

I think scouting has been an issue, especially for forwards. Since Zajac in the first round of 2004, you got Adam Henrique and that's it. They look to be drafting bigger north-south players and totally bypassing skilled offensive players.

Found this on HF: Connor Chatham - Forward - Plymouth Whalers

Chatham is a real big kid who came into the year with some reasonably high expectations because he was a late '95, had already had a successful year in the USHL and was highly rated by NHL Central Scouting. But that certainly wasn't the case early on where he had only 5 goals in his first 33 games. The physical component to his game was there during that time, but he looked timid offensively and was not very effective with the puck. He slowly improved over the season though and as his confidence blossomed, so did his offensive contribution. In the final 26 games of the year (including playoffs), Chatham had 11 goals, and 10 assists. He used his size (6'3, 225lbs) to drive the net hard and became a very effective offensive player off the rush because he's also a solid skater for a big man. The only negative thing for me is that as he got better offensively, I found him to be less engaged physically. Like any power forward prospect, he'll need to find a way to use his size and tenacity away from the puck to fuel his offensive game with more consistency.