What's your favorite hockey movie?

roomtemp

Off season why not?

Just rewatched Goon and I probably loved it more this time around. So I'd say that but to be fair I was never too high on Slapshot. Yeah some nice quotes (mainly Hason brothers stuff) but I never thought it was got bustin and it still pisses me off how people corrput the concept of Old Tyme hockey into gooning it up instead of playing the fvcking game

My go-to movie is Miracle, however I love Goon. It's the perfect amount of heart, comedy, and hockey.

I have a lot of the hockey movies on tap to watch. Slapshot every now and again for nostalgia, I've watched Mystery Alaska, Sudden Death, The Mighty Ducks.

But yeah, Miracle and Goon.

I don't see how anything can ever top Slap Shot. Miracle is my 2nd favorite but it still doesn't come close to Slap Shot at all on my list. Slap Shot is in a league of its own.

Honestly, if Goon didn't have Stifler Seann William Scott in it, I wouldn't think much of it. Yeah, funny late night movie to have a few laughs at while killing time but it can't compare to Slap Shot in my opinion.

• Like 1

Goon was OK...very clearly an homage to the Flyers.

Slap Shot is a bit dated now...should probably be called Snap Shot, in that it captures what 70s-era hockey was like at times...pure and raw madness and lawlessness...and is a real window into what that era was like overall...it seems like everything had such an ugly look to it back then, as someone who was born in 1970, I can tell you that it really was like that.  I still like Slap Shot, but I think most people under 30 will find it a relic. 

Miracle is pretty by-the-numbers, but also very competent and really does a great job telling a great story. 

I'd say Slap Shot is probably still my fave after all these years...there's just something about it.  Paul Newman has admitted that of all the movies he ever acted in, this one was the most fun.  I believe him.  

• Like 1

I saw a movie some 35 or so years ago called that deadly season or the deadly season, where there was a story about a pro hockey player and a folk singer.  I vaguely remember it but I do remember that Derek Sanderson was in it.  Wish I could remember more.  Other than that, Miracle and Mystery were my favorite.

Never got the "Slapshot" love, either.  Sure, the Hanson Brothers are great, but I thought the movie as a whole was pretty dull.

Anyway, I'm casting my vote for "MVP:  Most Valuable Primate."

Hockey and monkeys?

Total win, baby.

Never got the "Slapshot" love, either.  Sure, the Hanson Brothers are great, but I thought the movie as a whole was pretty dull.

Anyway, I'm casting my vote for "MVP:  Most Valuable Primate."

Hockey and monkeys?

Total win, baby.

That monkey performed during the intermission at a game in the Meadowlands in 2000. He skated around on the ice and shot the puck a few times.

As for me, Mystery Alaska.

Slap Shot.  It just is.  At the risk of being offensive I do sort of think it sounds like you missed the point of the movie, roomy.  It's foul - but it's got it all, taking no stand, showing all sides.  :noclue:

I wanted more from Mystery Alaska - it was a miss for me - a mere glancing blow - but enough to throw it off for me.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Slap Shot, Miracle, Youngblood, Goon, Mystery Alaska.

And Sudden Death for the absurdity of it all. I mean a fight scene with the Penguins mascot?!? Classic.

+1 for Sudden Death! That movie had it all. Fight scene with a Penguins mascot, Mike Lange cursing, Luc Robitaille's Oscar-worthy performance, fake Ron Francis's kickin' mustache ... the list goes on and on.

Slap Shot.  It just is.  At the risk of being offensive I do sort of think it sounds like you missed the point of the movie, roomy.  It's foul - but it's got it all, taking no stand, showing all sides.  :noclue:

I wanted more from Mystery Alaska - it was a miss for me - a mere glancing blow - but enough to throw it off for me.

I agree. I think ya missed what the movie was going for.

Slapshot is the only choice here. Nothing else comes remotely close. Goon has Sean William Scott and ipso facto cannot be a quality film. Miracle is ok, but all they had to do was not screw that movie up, the story is too easy. Mighty Ducks is great for nostalgia for us 90s kids, but I'm not about to say they're great films.

Slapshot has it all. It's a slice of life of a minor league hockey team. Add in Paul Newman and it's a classic. I never saw the film as perverting "old tyme hockey" as gooning it up. The end of the film is what that's about. Ned skates naked because the game has become a sideshow circus and his naked parade isn't out of place at that point. At least that's how I saw it.

I saw a movie some 35 or so years ago called that deadly season or the deadly season, where there was a story about a pro hockey player and a folk singer.  I vaguely remember it but I do remember that Derek Sanderson was in it.  Wish I could remember more.  Other than that, Miracle and Mystery were my favorite.

I think you mean Winter Comes Early.   It was in the early 70's. :)