NFL Week 2!!!

CRASHER

I don't think we'll see a Tuesday or Wednesday game, that's WAY too soon after Sunday. Players need time to heal. Hell, they don't even begin practicing until Tuesdays. 

I'm thinking when two teams are coming off a bye week this could be doable. Especially a Tuesday

anyway. what the NFL really needs is an extra bye week later in the season when injuries start piling up.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re the booing Wilkerson, I'll give the fans the benefit of the doubt and just assume they thought he was faking, and that they probably weren't thinking of the 10 second rule.  (When I was watching the game, I wasn't thinking about it until the color guy mentioned it).

I'm really starting to wonder whether the Pats get desperate and give Randy Moss, or, gasp, even Terrell Owens a call.  The receivers they have right now are just dreadful.  Can't catch and can't run routes effectively.  Amendola is just someone you can't count on to be healthy.  And who knows whether Gronk is really going to be ready anytime soon. 

I'm thinking when two teams are coming off a bye week this could be doable. Especially a Tuesday

anyway. what the NFL really needs is an extra bye week later in the season when injuries start piling up.

I agree but we all know what Roger will do: Add 2 more weeks and water down the NFL even more. He is leading the NFL on an inevitable path to decline.

Hey CR, why didn't the Pats re-sign Welker? Did they under-value him, or do they have a strict budget like the Devils do (or used to)?

While I don't know what their cap situation was, if I had to guess, I think arrogance from Kraft and/or Belichek had a lot to do with it.  The thinking being we've won if the past with mediocre receiving and we'll do it again.  And Welker was nothing before Brady was throwing to him, so we can find another guy to do the same thing.   Also at the time, they still thought that Hernandez would be playing. 

While I don't know what their cap situation was, if I had to guess, I think arrogance from Kraft and/or Belichek had a lot to do with it.  The thinking being we've won if the past with mediocre receiving and we'll do it again.  And Welker was nothing before Brady was throwing to him, so we can find another guy to do the same thing.   Also at the time, they still thought that Hernandez would be playing. 

This was some of it.  I know they're actually well under the cap, and could have afforded Welker without an issue...that team does not have any financial issues.

The fact of it was, for all of the high-scoring, front-running, regular-season prowess, that Patriot offense was getting shut down too often in the postseason recently...almost too easily, when compared against the regular season.  I think the higher-ups decided it was time for a change, for some new faces.

From what I saw, I think Welker and the Pats kept mis-reading each other...I think both Welker and the Patriots thought he'd remain a Patriot...until he didn't.  I actually don't have a problem with the Pats not bringing him back, even with all that he did there...I do think it was time to change things up.  It's more how they tried to replace him (you don't do it with a guy made of Teflon and surgical thread)...then of course, you have the whole Hernandez mess, which is where things really got screwed up. 

Basically, you had a perfect storm for a quagmire, and having an extremely arrogant head coach who thinks he can win with anyone doesn't help matters.  Like I've said repeatedly, Brady has been covering up for BB for several years now.  I'm curious to see how much progress the offense makes with the extended practice week.       

Welker and BB just didn't like each other. Welker was too outspoken, and BB is a control freak. I remember last season when BB basically phased Welker out of the offense, till all the injuries hit. Welker made light of BB in post game interviews last year, which was the death Nell in NE.

Manta's pretty much right on that one too...I remember Welker being nonexistent the first game and a half of last season until Hernandez got hurt, then all of a sudden they had to use him again.  It did get personal there, I mean they even incurred Brady's public wrath (for about five minutes) by letting him go.

Geez this has been one wild Sunday...nice day to stay in and watch RedZone for most of the afternoon lol

People talk about the Chip Kelly offense but how does that defense let up three TD's to Eddie Royal :lol:  And how if you're Carolina do you let Stevie Johnson get wide open in the corner of the endzone on the final play?  God, dr's gonna pitch a fit.

Ron Rivera...please be fired tonight. There is no fanbase that has been more tortured than Panthers fans over the last 5 years. There is being plain bad wich sucks, but you get to numb to it. Then there is being in every single game week in and week out and finding ways to lose. And Rivera after two seasons and two games of this sh!t, can't make any adjustments and stop playing it safe.

The funny thing is once the Panthers decided to go for a field goal instead of trying to end the game on 4th and 1 when you have the best short yardage fullback in Tolbert and the biggest QB in football, who by the way has never been stopped on a short yardage direct run on 3rd or 4th and whatever in his career, I knew 100% they were going to lose. And this is the same mistake over and over and over again.

How about those Ravens! We just crushed Cleveland :)

Loving the intensity of the SF/SEA game

Crushed??? Seriously?? Crushed....the purple haze fumes went back to your head :P

Then again I guess the pop-gun offense with no Ray Rice getting 14 points is a crushing :blink:

And I'm done with fraking lightning delays....play the stupid games already!!!

Already regretting calling the Bucs a sleeper. Josh Freeman sucks and it's amazing how many stupid penalties they take. 

Apparently him and Schiano do not get along at all, and Freeman wants a trade. I don't think many teams will want him but I can see him going to maybe Minnesota. 

Bill Barnwell on Ron Rivera: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9680034/bill-barnwell-week-2-nfl-season

Ron Rivera did it again. After passing on an opportunity to convert a fourth-and-1 to beat the Falcons last year, a move that ended up turning a near-certain win into a loss, Rivera faced another tough situation Sunday and chose the most conservative option available despite the nature of his team. And let's be clear: That's the biggest problem with Rivera's decision-making at the end of close games. It's not that he's making decisions that go against the numbers, nor is it that he's choosing the most tentative, risk-averse option available to him. It's that he refuses to recognize his team's strengths and adapt his decision-making to incorporate them. This isn't Thank You For Not Coaching; it's Thank You For Not Learning.

In short, Rivera passed up another fourth-and-1 game-sealer to put his defense in a situation where it needed to produce a stop to win. With 1:42 left, the Panthers were up three on the Bills, who were out of timeouts. Carolina was facing a fourth-and-1 on Buffalo's 21-yard line with two clear options. The aggressive choice was to go for it, a move that would have allowed the Panthers to kneel three times and end the game, with the downside of allowing the Bills to tie the game if they stuffed the Panthers and drove for a field goal (or lose if the Bills scored a touchdown.)3 The conservative option was to kick a field goal and force the Bills to drive down the field and score a touchdown, at which point they would (barring a failed extra point) win the game.

What is unquestionably true is that the Panthers are a wildly successful team in short yardage. Since Rivera took over and the Panthers drafted Cam Newton first overall, Carolina has run the ball on third-and-1 or fourth-and-1 43 times. It has converted 35 of those runs for first downs or touchdowns, meaning that its break-even rate on those plays has been a whopping 81.4 percent. Newton, in particular, has been near-unstoppable: He is 16-for-18 on those carries as a pro. You wouldn't want to risk sneaking him on every single short-yardage play just for the purposes of keeping him healthy, but with the game on the line, you simply have to turn to Newton. And even if you don't, Carolina's backfield is full of expensive running backs; Jonathan Stewart is hurt, but the Panthers could just as easily have handed the ball to DeAngelo Williams or Mike Tolbert. Even if you want to accuse that data of being too small to analyze, what do you think Carolina's "true" success rate is if it ran the ball a million times with a yard to go against an average defense? Would it convert 60 percent of the time? 70 percent? Literally, if the Panthers had to sit down and write a résumé, the first strength they would mention is their effectiveness in short yardage. And yet, Rivera turned down another opportunity to use that strength to seal a victory.

Edited by devilsrule33

I love Bill Barnwell and Robert Mays at Grantland (and also Chris Brown). Cool to see I'm not the only one who reads him/them.

MD2020: Agreed, between the long delay, the penalties, and SF doing zilch... I expected a lot better. 

Crash: I think the Jags were 6-point underdogs, which looked like the best bet of the week. Amazingly they couldn't even cover with a non-Gabbert QB starting for them. What a horrible team. 

Edited by nmigliore