NHL rule changes: Jersey tuck no longer permitted

aylbert

UNTUCK THAT JERSEY SIR!

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/9/16/4737012/nhl-rule-change-jersey-rule-alex-ovechkin

The NHL announced last week that uniform guidelines will be more heavily enforced during the 2013-14 season. According to the rules outlined by the league, players will no longer be allowed to tuck their jerseys into their pants, have their elbow pads exposed or cut their pants.

"This was a GM's initiative," NHL senior vice-president of hockey operations Kris King said. "Some of them [general managers] came to us last year and said they didn't like where it was going."

Think Lou was in on it?  Or do you think he just self-governs?

What will NHL13/14 do?   Ha!

Jagr is notorious for the back jersey tuck. One of the things that always annoyed the crap outta me. Good to see he won't be doing it to the Devils jersey. Honest question...why does it matter if a player tucks their jersey?

I've heard players say it helps with their mobility, but since the whole Edge thing, I don't think excess sweater material hindering movement is much of an issue anymore. Just a guess here, but I'd assume most guys who still tuck do it out of habit, superstition, style, or homage (Gretzky tucked, for example).

What's the point? Is it just a matter of tucking makes it harder to see the numbers? Or exposed equipment causing injury to other players? What made the GMs care about this all of a sudden?

I hope it's not so they can make it so ads on jerseys would be easier to see. /removes tin foil hat

One of the reasons why the manufacturer logo switched from the bottom back hem to the neck about 10-12 years ago was because a lot of players tucked their jerseys in.

A lot of Gretzky game worns have the manufacturer logo on both sides of the bottom hem because of his tucking in of one side and the manufacturer didn't want their logo obscured on the biggest name in hockey.

In the age of smaller more form fitting jerseys and neck tagging there really no reason to tuck except for habit or superstition.

Yes, it was made famous by #99. He always wore a size up in his jersey due to him having long arms, but the excess on the sides would impede his stick handling and shooting, so he tucked it in.  It's funny to see right handed players tucking in the same side as 99 since it has no bearing on performance. I guess it is just an homage.

Not really sure why the NHL is all about this. Maybe uniformity? Puck getting caught in the equipment?  I know it sounds crazy, but the NHL is all about maximizing goal scoring and if it leads to  even 1 more goal being scored Gary is happy.

Maybe prepping for adding advertisements?

Edited by hystyk28

I hope it's not so they can make it so ads on jerseys would be easier to see. /removes tin foil hat

I'd be pretty pissed. I just don't get the point of this. In hockey, it can be a bit tough to identify the players at a glance, as many times their faces are covered by a face shield, the helmet hides their hair, bulky equipment masks the body lines, etc. Tucking the jersey is something that can be used to identify more readily. Just seems like an odd thing to spend time thinking about.

One of the reasons why the manufacturer logo switched from the bottom back hem to the neck about 10-12 years ago was because a lot of players tucked their jerseys in.

A lot of Gretzky game worns have the manufacturer logo on both sides of the bottom hem because of his tucking in of one side and the manufacturer didn't want their logo obscured on the biggest name in hockey.

In the age of smaller more form fitting jerseys and neck tagging there really no reason to tuck except for habit or superstition.

True, but why bother stopping something that doesn't cause a problem? I just don't get what spurred the change or at least the additional attention given to the enforcement of the rule?

People complain because players have lost alot of individuality since helmets became manditory. That its harder to market them because they are not as identifiable thus harder for people to relate to and follow. But then this goes and happens.

My question is why the jersey thing but goalie helmets are fine to be what ever batsh!t crazy thing you want it to be? Why is one important to be uniform but the other doesn't have to be

There's really not much you can do with a hockey uniform IMO, the little bit that was happening (jersey tucking) they should have let go. Watching most major sports, the players look sloppy as fvck. It is not uncommon for an NFL or CFB lineman's entire, 320 pound stomach to be exposed, but I'm glad I don't have to see Jagr's hip pads :doh1:

There's really not much you can do with a hockey uniform IMO, the little bit that was happening (jersey tucking) they should have let go. Watching most major sports, the players look sloppy as fvck. It is not uncommon for an NFL or CFB lineman's entire, 320 pound stomach to be exposed, but I'm glad I don't have to see Jagr's hip pads :doh1:

FWIW, that's a byproduct of the new jerseys the NFL launched last year. Linemen across the league were complaining that the cut made the jerseys slip up over their guts throughout the game. For the most part, the NFL is actually pretty strict when it comes to enforcing uniformity on the field.

People complain because players have lost alot of individuality since helmets became manditory. That its harder to market them because they are not as identifiable thus harder for people to relate to and follow. But then this goes and happens.

My question is why the jersey thing but goalie helmets are fine to be what ever batsh!t crazy thing you want it to be? Why is one important to be uniform but the other doesn't have to be

Exactly. I don't see why the NHL felt the need to quash this little bit of individuality the players can display.