Brodeur named Opening Night Starter

StormJosh

everyones talking on here like marty isnt starting goalie quality anymore... he is still a starting goalie, he just cant handle a full season work load like he use to be able to which is where corey comes in great.. schneider is going to have his day as starting goalie but come on guys.. lets not completely forget all about brodeur and sell him out short just because corey is here now.. the guy looked great monday and am super excited to have him this season but i think its clear marty is still our number one goaltender here... until he sucks horribly or hands it over.

its not just whos better but who the team plays better for and in front of.

last year i think moose looked worse cause nobody plays the puck in the Brodeurian style.

So now most players are used to playing for butterfly style but your going back and forth between two strategies.

everyones talking on here like marty isnt starting goalie quality anymore... he is still a starting goalie, he just cant handle a full season work load like he use to be able to which is where corey comes in great.. schneider is going to have his day as starting goalie but come on guys.. lets not completely forget all about brodeur and sell him out short just because corey is here now.. the guy looked great monday and am super excited to have him this season but i think its clear marty is still our number one goaltender here... until he sucks horribly or hands it over.

Arguable. Marty had a great run in the playoffs 2 years ago, but he wasn't great in the regular season that year, and he was bad last year. Last year may have been a result of a crappy team in front of him, and trying to come back from injury too soon because Moose was looking overmatched, but if that's not the case and he plays like he did down the stretch, Schneider better be getting the minutes.

last year i think moose looked worse cause nobody plays the puck in the Brodeurian style.

So now most players are used to playing for butterfly style but your going back and forth between two strategies.

Moose looked worse because he had an .880 SV% which means he should've been in the ECHL

I know the Devils coaches seldom give reasons for why they're starting Brodeur (just that they are, and always, and forever), but I can imagine the wonderful litany of excuses here when Brodeur lurches out of the gate as he has 2 out of the last 3 years.  'Well, he has to start in Vancouver, that's where Richard Brodeur played'.  'He has good numbers historically against Edmonton'.

There's just no way that Martin Brodeur should start the first two games of the season.  I don't care if he shuts out Pittsburgh or allows 6 goals, Cory Schneider should start Game 2.  

I really hope they give Schneider the game in Vancouver. I feel like it'd mean way more to him than to Brodeur's 10th or whatever game there. 

i'd bet $20 on the following:

game 1 - 3 marty

game 4 in van - schneider

game 5 marty

game 6 schenider

game 7 (rangers) - marty

marty's gonna have to fail bad early to not get 5 of the first 7. i hate it but that's what i'm betting. after that, we'll see what happens.

This is what I expect. I don't like it either

its not just who's better but who the team plays better for and in front of.

That was my point.  I dont think you can tell a team to "suck it up, Marty is great" if they don't have the confidence in him.  It's just nto as easy as that even if you've decreed it should be. and it'll make life tougher for Marty not help.

Players aren't great at self-policing and it seems like Lou has granted Marty carte blanche... although clearly Lou's signing Schneider send a message to the guy. 

And with all this put out there I am glad Marty is getting the start.  It's not inappropriate at all. 

I dont know.  I wish we all didn't have this mindset of blind fear merely because Marty was named ... so soon.... point blank.... sort of in a seemingly unbending way...as starter.  I understand it's a vote of confidence for Marty -- but it really is kind of rattling as a fan.  and I have to think the team could sort of feels the same way.  They have to.  I dont think it was necessary and I have to wonder how many more unnecessary rushed proclamations there are going to be.

I'd prefer that the organization keep the tight-lipped strategy rather than act like there is some blind commitment to Marty.  It's an unnerving choice.  Silence is preferable.  DeBoer needs to chill.  He needs to think about what this says about his diplomacy.  It's a TINY, so-what thing -- but it's saying something.  It's saying that DeBoer may well be tyrannical and unbending and un-open to facing facts of the game put in front of him. He will go down with a sinking ship rather than right it, when given the opportunity.

I'm just saying ---   I hope he's aware of this.  and doesn't justify it out with There are a lot of guys WAAAAY worse than me -- who gives a fvck friend.  YOU are who the team has to listen to, or more importantly choose NOT to listen to.

They are going into the season with Marty as the starter. If Schneider stays as solid as he's been the last few years (and Monday night), he will clearly be the better goalie as the season wears on. Wouldn't shock me to see Marty get starts in the Pit, and NYI games with Schneider's first being the Edmonton or Canucks game.

I think the Devils organization knows that Marty has been slowing down and that Cory is entering his prime. More than likely, they announced Marty as the starter of the opener now to avoid the inevitable questions if Marty doesn't have a solid pre-season. I imagine them stubbornly holding on to Marty as the starter, but hopefully Schneider makes it obvious who the guy is by January.

And that's no knock to Marty. I just think Marty needs to know he can retire with the team in safe hands, and Schneider and the Devils need to know he's THE guy. I think that would make a long term extension much easier to sign.

100% agree with everything you've said, especially the reason why they may have announced him the starter already.

And it's funny because two seasons ago, it seemed like the players would play better in front of Hedberg and get lazier in front of Marty.

And it's funny because two seasons ago, it seemed like the players would play better in front of Hedberg and get lazier in front of Marty.

Probably knew they had a little more slack in front of marty but had to play better in front of hedberg being he wasnt as reliable to stop the puck?

I know the Devils coaches seldom give reasons for why they're starting Brodeur (just that they are, and always, and forever), but I can imagine the wonderful litany of excuses here when Brodeur lurches out of the gate as he has 2 out of the last 3 years.  'Well, he has to start in Vancouver, that's where Richard Brodeur played'.  'He has good numbers historically against Edmonton'.

There's just no way that Martin Brodeur should start the first two games of the season.  I don't care if he shuts out Pittsburgh or allows 6 goals, Cory Schneider should start Game 2.  

Ironically enough, I believe Vancouver is the only team in the league that Marty's got a losing record against.