Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

Flyers swallow is trashy too. "Flyers swallow " and "you suck" seem to have started around the same time. At least that is yelled randomly and not as a celebration ritual.

One is non-offensive the other is pretty much so. If you think kids don't say "sucks" in this day and age...ooooh boy. It's considered pretty tame and widely accepted these days. Not the 1950's anymore.

It's not the word itself.  It's the fact we use the phrase "you suck" as a way to celebrate a goal, and it's stupid.  

And if you think the dancers resemble strippers, I'd like to know what strip clubs you go to.  I'm not a fan of the dancers either.  But who cares?  Those girls love dancing, and they get a chance to do it professionally.  You don't have to look at them if you don't want to.

And if you don't wanna chant "you suck", you don't have to. Your hypocrisy is ASTOUNDING.

It's not the word itself.  It's the fact we use the phrase "you suck" as a way to celebrate a goal, and it's stupid.  

And if you think the dancers resemble strippers, I'd like to know what strip clubs you go to.  I'm not a fan of the dancers either.  But who cares?  Those girls love dancing, and they get a chance to do it professionally.  You don't have to look at them if you don't want to.

They're far from classy.   My point is if people are going to be prudish there's plenty of other logical places to start.   And yes, I would not be surprised if this was a "day job" for a few of them.

Clearly the majority of people feel differently. I always used to hear a few scattered complaints about "you suck" but tonight was most of the crowd reacting to something they disagreed with. We were all paying customers, we have the right to voice an opinion. If it's "just a song", then why do you seem so STRONGLY against it? Try to see another point of view sometime. It's an interesting concept.

I'm not against the song.  I'm not against any song.  I loved R&R part 2.  What I am against is the fan response to this change.  There's no reason for it no matter what the circumstances are.

I bet you that you did the chant too, if you say didn't your a lair because everybody does it in the arena

I used to do it.  But that was before I realized how dumb it was.  I haven't chanted "you suck" in years.

I'm not against the song.  I'm not against any song.  I loved R&R part 2.  What I am against is the fan response to this change.  There's no reason for it no matter what the circumstances are.

I used to do it.  But that was before I realized how dumb it was.  I haven't chanted "you suck" in years.

Okay.  Let's review.

1) A change because of a reaction is okay.

2) A reaction because of a change is bad.

I'm sorry if I'm being a dick to you but for someone who doesn't care, you care too much and you've got a bit of a logical fallacy going on

I bet you that you did the chant too, if you say didn't your a lair because everybody does it in the arena

I've been going to games long before flyers swallow was added to the rangers suck chant. It was funny the first few times "Gomez Swallows" was chanted when played us as a Ranger. But after that it's just overkill.

Also I'm not some Ned Flanders. Bad words don't offend me. It's just cringe worthy.

Edited by oofrostonoo

And if you don't wanna chant "you suck", you don't have to. Your hypocrisy is ASTOUNDING.

That's why I don't do it.

They're far from classy.   My point is if people are going to be prudish there's plenty of other logical places to start.   And yes, I would not be surprised if this was a "day job" for a few of them.

I would like to know how they are any different than other dance teams out there.

The fan response should tell you what the majority of paying customers want. Fan response should be top priority. If management doesn't listen to the fans then...I just don't know.

The fan response should tell you what the majority of paying customers want. Fan response should be top priority. If management doesn't listen to the fans then...I just don't know.

They have two weeks to get hit over the head with Captain Obvious's frying pan.  And I'm sure whatever they didn't hear from the crowd reaction they're going to read in hate posts on the Internet/Twitter/Facebook and angry fans calling and writing letters.  If they're not going to have R$R Part 2 then at least have something GUARANTEED to engender goodwill from the majority of the fans - Runnin' with the Devil maybe, or something from Springsteen.  Hell, play the Sopranos theme if you must.  But this song cannot be played again, the Benny Hill theme would have been better, at least that's a creative way to make fun of the other team :P

Wrote an e-mail to one of the Devils ticket reps. about the song and got a pretty immediate response. They indicated they'd "like to see how the fanbase reacts over the next few games".

I agree with a few of the other people on here. R&R part 2 or not, this song is not the way to go. Zombie Nation (which ended up failing) was 10 times better than this song as a "goal song". This one doesn't fit at all.

The fact Devils fans are so concerned over a stupid goal song is ridiculous. It's possible the new owners are behind this. In which case, Devils fans should be grateful since our debt is now gone. It's stupid to make such a big deal over a goal song.

They should be grateful that I pay for my season tickets. It's a 2 way street. It's their team, so they can change the goals song to itsy bitsy spider if they want. It is my right to boo their asinine selection and make my feelings known about it. And I will continue to do so until they change it back. It has nothing to do with the players and the team and management clearly knows that.

Okay.  Let's review.

1) A change because of a reaction is okay.

2) A reaction because of a change is bad.

I'm sorry if I'm being a dick to you but for someone who doesn't care, you care too much and you've got a bit of a logical fallacy going on

Unless you're offended by Bon Jovi, there's nothing worth complaining about.

This. So much this. This is the be all, end all response to this argument. The majority of PAYING CUSTOMERS booed it and want it changed. A business needs to do its best to please its customers, especially when they are fighting to get new fans from numerous other local businesses. Also, you need to keep fans happy because you need them to keep coming back and in a time when the on-ice product has struggled more than usual over the past few years, now is not the time to be picking this battle and pissing people off.

Edited by PWW

Wrote an e-mail to one of the Devils ticket reps. about the song and got a pretty immediate response. They indicated they'd "like to see how the fanbase reacts over the next few games".

I agree with a few of the other people on here. R&R part 2 or not, this song is not the way to go. Zombie Nation (which ended up failing) was 10 times better than this song as a "goal song". This one doesn't fit at all.

lmao if they take a wait and see approach it's only getting worse, not better.  Especially if the team dies on the vine on the West Coast and fans now have nothing else left to care about other than the darn goal song.

They have two weeks to get hit over the head with Captain Obvious's frying pan.  And I'm sure whatever they didn't hear from the crowd reaction they're going to read in hate posts on the Internet/Twitter/Facebook and angry fans calling and writing letters.  If they're not going to have R$R Part 2 then at least have something GUARANTEED to engender goodwill from the majority of the fans - Runnin' with the Devil maybe, or something from Springsteen.  Hell, play the Sopranos theme if you must.  But this song cannot be played again, the Benny Hill theme would have been better, at least that's a creative way to make fun of the other team :P

I told everyone what the goal horn should be if they were to change it.

I wasn't at the game tonight and to be honest I only got to see two of the goal scored while catching bits and pieces on the TV so I have no idea what took place with the fans. I do feel that the fans get into R&R song pt 2, if thats what its called, more than any other song. Like it or not its been part of a great run to the Stanley Cup and for someone like myself who lives in Newark, it feels uniquely Jersey. I can understand both sides but I guess I'm just a realist, until they find a song that gets everyone behind it RRpt2 is going to still elict the loudest and most enthusiastic response from the fans...and the you suck chant.

True, but fans or paying customers in any business have no say on how the owners are supposed to be running said business.  You don't have to put your money into the team if you don't want to.

They should be grateful that I pay for my season tickets. It's a 2 way street. It's their team, so they can change the goals song to itsy bitsy spider if they want. It is my right to boo their asinine selection and make my feelings known about it. And I will continue to do so until they change it back. It has nothing to do with the players and the team and management clearly knows that.

They can also tell you to go scratch.  You can't force them to do whatever you want just because you pay for your season tickets.

This. So much this. This is the be all, end all response to this argument. The majority of PAYING CUSTOMERS booed it and want it changed. A business needs to do its best to please its customers, especially when they are fighting to get new fans from numerous other local businesses. Also, you need to keep fans happy because you need them to keep coming back and in a time when the on-ice product has struggled more than usual over the past few years, now is not the time to be picking this battle and pissing people off.

But the goal song is such a minuscule thing though.  You don't buy tickets to listen to a song, you pay to watch hockey.

btw, the market demands it arguement is intersting because I also notice a change in the demographic that the Devils attract. The fan base has alot of "young adults" Gen Y and Gen X people there and it certainly feels like when I was at the preseason game against the Rags that we are getting fewer families with little kiddies. Just my thoughts but it seems that shift would also result in a different expectation of an evening at the Prudential Center.

That's your opinion. There are at least 17000 people in attendance tonight that don't agree with you. Plus, that song sucks giant donkey balls. It's cliche and is just plain terrible.

That's fine you don't like the song.  But people didn't like Rock and Roll part 2 either.

That's your opinion. There are at least 17000 people in attendance tonight that don't agree with you. Plus, that song sucks giant donkey balls. It's cliche and is just plain terrible.

the end of born to run is celebratory, legendary" and ends with sing a long woah ohhhhhhh. I'd like to hear that.

But the goal song is such a minuscule thing though.  You don't buy tickets to listen to a song, you pay to watch hockey.

This is a sport where grown men grow beards because they think it's lucky and won't touch a cup out of fear of losing a game. Anything goes. If people wanna get mad about a song, they will. Everything matters in sports to someone, and tonight a song just happened to be a big issue to about 17000 people. I don't understand how that's surprising to you in any way.

Also, one last point. Like I said, I'm totally fine with R&R Part 2 not coming back provided a song is found that can recreate that type of reaction. People got LOUD after a goal chanting along with that song. Tonight was a total 180 as it was crickets after we scored. No matter what happens there has to be another change because the new song just doesn't work. The fans don't care. If we weren't booing it would just be dead quiet which is probably even worse. Give the crowd a reason to yell and go crazy, whatever song does that is the answer here. The players feed off energy and a song that sucks the life out of the building is counterproductive in literally every way.

Edited by PWW

This whole thing (for you wrestling fans) reminds me of the "Corporate Makeover" bit with Daniel Bryan. These uptight anti You Suck trying to "class up" the Rock by having us change the goal horn, chant "You Rock". Next you'll see City Grill replaced by a high class caviar and wine stand.

This is a sport where grown men grow beards because they think it's lucky and won't touch a cup out of fear of losing a game. Anything goes. If people wanna get mad about a song, they will. Everything matters in sports to someone, and tonight a song just happened to be a big issue to about 17000 people. I don't understand how that's surprising to you in any way.

I'm not surprised people don't like the song.  I am surprised that our fans are this pissed off over it though.  Like I said though, what about the people who didn't like R&R2?  Do their opinions not count?