Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

It was handled poorly on all ends but maybe if they didn't sneak attack the fans by throwing the goal song in without any warning (unless you read here, HF or comb TG's Fire and Ice comments you had no idea this was coming - and half the people thought TG was getting misinformation or an imposter was saying it anyway) it would have been different.  Or at least the stupid reaction would have happened in the preseason and everyone would have been able to react 'before' the regular season.

I guess they thought it was cool to unveil this new song during the opener. Its a shame too cause the intros with that videoboard for the players was cool. Its a shame that the Devils front office can never get it figured out

That was the worst goal song I've heard, just ridiculous. The we are jersey campaign, in my opinion, doesn't really work either. A majority of people who go to the games don't mind the "Hey, you suck!" chants, and that's what the Devils should be looking at, not the 10 or so people who complained! And it's not just the devils, other teams around the league have that song, and their fans chant "you suck" also, big whoop! If they don't bring the song back, the fans are still gonna chant it either way, just like last night.

I talked to my STH rep at the game last night, he said he loved R&R pt. 2, and hated the new song. He said to email him our complaints, and he can forward them to someone who can do something about it. I suggest you all do the same and get the word out to the Devils that this was one of the poorest decisions they have ever made......

I'd also like to add that they should get rid of that hell's bells ding that's played after every goal announcement, that was just stupid and it sounded out of place. While we're on the hells bells topic, they should bring that back for the intro video, just the beginning of hell's bells isn't good enough...

Edited by NJDEVS1730

To say that people would rather scream you suck at the other team versus chanting our goal scorer's name is an argument that can't be made unless you've actually tried it. So many people can sit here and say how stupid it is that we chant you suck when we score a goal but has anyone ever tried to do it otherwise? I doubt it considering that half of the people in the building just sit on their hands the entire game. What about when Marty makes a big save? Do we chant "GRAB-NER SUCKS! GRAB-NER SUCKS!" No, we chant MAR-TY MAR-TY because someone has tried it before and it stuck. If someone would've started chanting BRU-NNER! BRU-NNER! last night (after the outrage from the song died down) I'm sure that other people would join in.

Love the people saying only 10% if fans don't like the you suck chant. Sorry but a large majority of fans that i have seen over the age 30 don't do the you suck parts.

It's really an age/maturity thing. A large chunk of the under 30 fans want to turn the atmosphere into a sh!tty college game.

• Like 1

Love the people saying only 10% if fans don't like the you suck chant. Sorry but a large majority of fans that i have seen over the age 30 don't do the you suck parts.

It's really an age/maturity thing. A large chunk of the under 30 fans want to turn the atmosphere into a sh!tty college game.

I'm under 30 and I know a considerable number of fellow fans who cannot stand RRP2. its been 20 years, time to move the heck on

Funny none of the people who can't stand R&R 2 attended last night's game though.  I mean really, even the people that don't like it don't have to participate in the parts of the song they don't like, they can just stand and clap/cheer for the goals.  But ultimately the song is for the fans, like max said last night you don't exactly want to pick a fight with your fans after a lockout/bad season/highest-paid player leaving the country.

Funny none of the people who can't stand R&R 2 attended last night's game though.  I mean really, even the people that don't like it don't have to participate in the parts of the song they don't like, they can just stand and clap/cheer for the goals.  But ultimately the song is for the fans, like max said last night you don't exactly want to pick a fight with your fans after a lockout/bad season/highest-paid player leaving the country.

Someone on HF compared the two horns being played during our home openers. It's really telling on a basis of atmosphere and what people actually want.

Old horn:

New horn:

Edited by TheMazz

The Rock is absolutely horrible as drunks go.   It's also one of the most hard liquor friendly buildings I've been in.   It's too cheap relative to the damage it causes and the bartenders will overpour

you just made my head hurt..........im honestly not even going to get into an arguement about that idiotic comment.

I like the fact that they are trying to brand the team.  Let's face it, the Devil's need more fans and not all of them are gonna be as passionate as the die hard fans you find on the great interweb forums such as this place.  I really don't think the driving force behind the change is the chanting at all. Again, I think it just fits into their new marketing plan because you have cheerleaders in skimpy outfits and there is other music with risque lyrics being played in the building. 

With all that being said, I personally hate the song from a standpoint that it won't get the crowd fired up.  

I also wonder how much money they pay to use songs and if JBJ gave the new owners a discount or a freebie as part of some co-branding agreement.

Edited by hystyk28

This thread is hysterical

The fact is that song is absolutely brutal. What do we chant along to? What do we even clap to? It sounds terrible. You want to get rid of R&R 2 and get us away from saying "YOU SUCK" (Oh, it's so trashy and classless, that's why half of the other teams in the league are chanting the same stuff right? give me a break) then fine but at least GIVE US A SAY IN IT. Calgary recently held an online fan vote to get the FANS to choose what song they get from a handful of songs voted in. Why not just give us a friggin' vote and leave R&R 2 out of it. At least give us a say, because 'this is our house' isn't going to work.

1. No other team uses it to celebrate a goal.

2. I completely agree with letting the fans decide the song.

True, but fans or paying customers in any business have no say on how the owners are supposed to be running said business.

They can also tell you to go scratch. You can't force them to do whatever you want just because you pay for your season tickets.

First, if you actually read my post, you would understand that this is exactly my point. I thought i made it clear with the itsy bitsy spider example. But, they can't force me to buy tickets either. It's a 2 way street and ultimately, they need us as much as we need them.

If you think that consumers can't affect the decisions of a business owner, you obviously never took a business course in college.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Terrible choice of goal song. You could barely hear what it is, either the mastering's fvcked or they got a Youtube rip of it, not fan-friendly at all. There were 5 or 6 suggestions on this board alone that were miles better.

Agree, its not the artist that makes or breaks the song, its the driving beat or screaming that gets people pumped up.

maybe now that Mariano Rivera has retired they could use the beginning of enter sandman.

I had a random idea last night during the game that they should make an edit of Beastie Boy's "Fight For Your Right" with just the main guitar looped and the chorus 2 or 3 times. Everyone was singing along, had a big smile on their faces and were really into it. It's upbeat and fun and literally the entire arena sang along. Anyone else notice this?

this has that ass hat scott oniell all over it...its msg influence BS

not new york not philadelphia 

these new owners will doom this team im convinced

Yea lets bring back Vanderbeek so we can continue to be in debt and the team is eventually taken over by the league.