Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

There is a tremendous amount of tradition with that song and this franchise. I believe we were the first organization to use it when the team was still playing in Colorado, and it was the goal song for all 3 cup championships and 5 trips to the finals. It morphed into the you suck version after the 2005 lockout, but it has been a staple at Devils games for virtually our entire existence. There was going to be blow back no matter what they changed it to, but to use such a horrible, cliche song is the worst part. Give it a few games, either Rock and Roll part II will be back, or they will try something else because the booing and impromptu "you suck" chants aren't going to stop.

There is a tremendous amount of tradition with that song and this franchise. I believe we were the first organization to use it when the team was still playing in Colorado, and it was the goal song for all 3 cup championships and 5 trips to the finals. It morphed into the you suck version after the 2005 lockout, but it has been a staple at Devils games for virtually our entire existence. There was going to be blow back no matter what they changed it to, but to use such a horrible, cliche song is the worst part. Give it a few games, either Rock and Roll part II will be back, or they will try something else because the booing and impromptu "you suck" chants aren't going to stop.

Well the goal horn too was part of all 3 cups as well. Yet we don't have that. IMO, any tradition from CAA doesn't have to come over to the Rock. There's nothing wrong with creating new traditions considering it's a new building.

Posted my idea elsewhere so here it is....

You know what would be funny, they bring back R&R and right after HEY! they blast the goal horn and drown everybody out. The people crying about their song get it back and the people crying about the YOU SUCK! wouldn't hear it. Lots of teams blast their goal horns a bunch of times for no reason.

• Like 1

Holy christ could people understand that (at least) my objection, and most of the other objections expressed in this thread, have little to do with profanity?  It has to do with celebrating a goal by mocking the other team.  It'd basically be inexplicable to someone you were explaining sports to, or indeed, even someone you were bringing to a Devils game for the first time.  'Okay, now when the Devils score a goal, they do this chant, 'you suck' - but it's directed at the other team.'  'So, the other team sucks for giving up a goal to the Devils?  Doesn't that mean the Devils suck too, by implication?  I mean, if you suck for having given up a goal to them, then they probably suck too'  'No, no, they're great, it's complicated, it's tradition'

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

You know what would be funny, they bring back R&R and right after HEY! they blast the goal horn and drown everybody out. The people crying about their song get it back and the people crying about the YOU SUCK! wouldn't hear it. Lots of teams blast their goal horns a bunch of times for no reason.

Nah just like that jagoff Harry Reid is saying right now, "All or nothing". Tired of this wave of censorship at sporting events.

I saw this on HF.

i dont really get it to be honest. people are still going to yell use profanity get into fights sh!t talk other fans.. this thread is a little O.D. over a song. The crowd hates it and they still do the you suck bit so...

It's not about the profanity.  Chanting "you suck" is just not the proper way to celebrate a goal.

Holy christ could people understand that (at least) my objection, and most of the other objections expressed in this thread, have little to do with profanity?  It has to do with celebrating a goal by mocking the other team.  It'd basically be inexplicable to someone you were explaining sports to, or indeed, even someone you were bringing to a Devils game for the first time.  'Okay, now when the Devils score a goal, they do this chant, 'you suck' - but it's directed at the other team.'  'So, the other team sucks for giving up a goal to the Devils?  Doesn't that mean the Devils suck too, by implication?  I mean, if you suck for having given up a goal to them, then they probably suck too'  'No, no, they're great, it's complicated, it's tradition'

This!

Nah just like that jagoff Harry Reid is saying right now, "All or nothing". Tired of this wave of censorship at sporting events.

I actually think it's a good idea.  Other teams have random goal horns right in the middle of the song.  The Sharks being one team that does this.

So fanbases shouldn't sing-song the other team's goalie/star player either?  Cause that's basically the same thing - mocking someone else instead of cheering your own team (and at least with the goal song we cheer for the team first THEN start the mocking).  Ranger fans explaining why they're chanting Marty at MSG would seem just as odd in that context.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

Holy christ could people understand that (at least) my objection, and most of the other objections expressed in this thread, have little to do with profanity? It has to do with celebrating a goal by mocking the other team. It'd basically be inexplicable to someone you were explaining sports to, or indeed, even someone you were bringing to a Devils game for the first time. 'Okay, now when the Devils score a goal, they do this chant, 'you suck' - but it's directed at the other team.' 'So, the other team sucks for giving up a goal to the Devils? Doesn't that mean the Devils suck too, by implication? I mean, if you suck for having given up a goal to them, then they probably suck too' 'No, no, they're great, it's complicated, it's tradition'

100% agree

And you know it's bad when I agree with Triumph on something.

So fanbases shouldn't sing-song the other team's goalie/star player either?  Cause that's basically the same thing - mocking someone else over cheering your own team.  Ranger fans explaining why they're chanting Marty at MSG would seem just as odd in that context.  

Yea but the sing songing of goalies takes place once play resumes.  They still have a goal celebration the proper way.  If we waited until play resumes to chant "you suck" then I'd have zero problems with it.

So Tri 16,000 people "potentially" chanting "THIS IS OUR HOUSE" being potentially down 1-4 in a game = perfect solution?

It's still better than "you suck".  The phrase "this is our house" can still be used as a rallying chant.

Yea but the sing songing of goalies takes place once play resumes.  They still have a goal celebration the proper way.  If we waited until play resumes to chant "you suck" then I'd have zero problems with it.

It's still better than "you suck".  The phrase "this is our house" can still be used as a rallying chant.

And so can "HEY YOU SUCK" with 10x the enthusiasm.

I understand that point of view but I feel like you are really over-analyzing the situation.

I honestly don't care what the Devils pick as long as it gets people to stop complaining about "you suck" and gives the fans something to either clap or sing along to which from what I can tell this Bon Jovi song doesn't. I think a fan vote online would be the way to go.

Didn't Ole win a fan vote? I'm pretty sure people hated Ole as well.

If they actually had the 'normal' version of Ole over the local band's knockoff version it might have worked.

But yeah I don't trust the fans to pick the right one either, or the team to pick the right ones to choose from.  The only solution left is Zubrus has to pick the next goal song :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

I understand that point of view but I feel like you are really over-analyzing the situation.

I honestly don't care what the Devils pick as long as it gets people to stop complaining about "you suck" and gives the fans something to either clap or sing along to which from what I can tell this Bon Jovi song doesn't. I think a fan vote online would be the way to go.

I think they should just let fans send in suggestions.  And then they should try different songs, and pick the one with the best reaction.  Preaseason would have been a perfect opportunity to try this.

Didn't Ole win a fan vote? I'm pretty sure people hated Ole as well.

I actually didn't hate Ole.  In fact I enjoyed it.

The feeling I get from some people in here is that jeering the other team is inherently wrong. That's more of a personality trait thing than anything (some people like to talk sh!t... others don't) So if you're someone who likes to jeer the other team, then what would be a more appropriate time then when we score a goal? It almost seems like some people would prefer that other fans in the building never say anything ill of the other team. That's an honest question. If you can't razz the other team when they let in a goal then when can you? What's a better time?

The feeling I get from some people in here is that jeering the other team is inherently wrong. That's more of a personality trait thing than anything (some people like to talk sh!t... others don't) So if you're someone who likes to jeer the other team, then what would be a more appropriate time then when we score a goal? It almost seems like some people would prefer that other fans in the building never say anything ill of the other team. That's an honest question. If you can't razz the other team when they let in a goal then when can you? What's a better time?

I have no problem with jeering the other team.  But most fanbases wait until after they're actually done celebrating their goal.  We use our jeering as a way of celebrating a goal, and I don't think it's right.

I have no problem with jeering the other team.  But most fanbases wait until after they're actually done celebrating their goal.  We use our jeering as a way of celebrating a goal, and I don't think it's right.

Isn't that some extreme nitpicking though? I mean should we wait til two minutes post-goal celebration? I just don't know when a more appropriate time would be. That's when the crowd is the most electric is right after a goal.

Why can't we celebrate a goal AND jeer the other team simultaneously? Kills two birds with one stone. Like, I don't get the reasoning that they have to be separate. If it's ok to jeer, then it's ok. You can't think it's ok but not until 15 seconds later. That just doesn't even make logical sense to me.

Isn't that some extreme nitpicking though? I mean should we wait til two minutes post-goal celebration? I just don't know when a more appropriate time would be. That's when the crowd is the most electric is right after a goal.

I don't think it's nitpicking at all.  We shouldn't JUST make fun of the opposing team.  We should celebrate the goal first.

i may not be popular but if everybody would chant with the song the this is our house chant would be awesome

I actually agree.  But try convincing that to 17,625 other people.

Why can't we celebrate a goal AND jeer the other team simultaneously? Kills two birds with one stone. Like, I don't get the reasoning that they have to be separate. If it's ok to jeer, then it's ok. You can't think it's ok but not until 15 seconds later. That just doesn't even make logical sense to me.

Problem is, we don't do both.  We just go straight to "Hey!  You suck".  That's not celebrating the goal.

Edited by Mike Brown

I don't think it's nitpicking at all.  We shouldn't JUST make fun of the opposing team.  We should celebrate the goal first.

Problem is, we don't do both.  We just go straight to "Hey!  You suck".  That's not celebrating the goal.

So when we all launch out of our seats and jump up and down while the goal horns blasting, high five our friends, neighbors, give out hugs, dance in the stands, etc... that's not celebrating?