Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

I don't think it's nitpicking at all.  We shouldn't JUST make fun of the opposing team.  We should celebrate the goal first.

I actually agree.  But try convincing that to 17,625 other people.

Problem is, we don't do both.  We just go straight to "Hey!  You suck".  That's not celebrating the goal.

I just don't get the argument that you and...say 1-2 thousand at most. Maybe less. Maybe a bit more. Should topple over that massive majority. Chanting "THIS IS OUR HOUSE" after we are getting blown out is JUST AS SILLY as chanting HEY YOU SUCK. If you want to use that argument.

If you are going to change the song. Change it to something the fans actually will like because whether you want the song changed or not  HARDLY ANYONE liked Bon Jovi last night. Plus he's a Rangers fan.

The guy doing our new goal horn is a Rangers fan! Get the hell out of here. Use a Bruce track if you are going to be full on cheesy Jersey.

Edited by TheMazz

Chants like that also happen quite a bit in college.    They ain't winning on this.

you just made my head hurt..........im honestly not even going to get into an arguement about that idiotic comment.

Dumbass, I'm talking about hard liquor for a sports arena.   Go to the Captain Morgan bar at Giants Stadium and tell me what you think about THOSE prices.  $18 for a one shot drink.

And if you're going to use "idiotic", you'd be best served to realize there's no E after the U in "argument".

Problem is, we don't do both.  We just go straight to "Hey!  You suck".  That's not celebrating the goal.

Do you not hear how LOUD the crowd gets chanting and clapping followed by the buzz in the arena afterwards? That IS celebrating. There is pure jubilation during the goal horn and then the song kicks in and boom, there comes the heckling half of the equation. Last night you could've heard a pin drop during the new goal song from the crowd and then booing and then silence. R&R got people fired up not only for the celebration and heckling, but for a considerable amount of time after. The song didn't accomplish either of those things. About a minute after the goal it literally felt like nothing at all had just happened.

So when we all launch out of our seats and jump up and down while the goal horns blasting, high five our friends, neighbors, give out hugs, dance in the stands, etc... that's not celebrating?

Well it is.  My point is, no other fanbase uses the goal song as an opportunity to jeer the other team.  We shouldn't either.

I just don't get the argument that you and...say 1-2 thousand at most. Maybe less. Maybe a bit more. Should topple over that massive majority. Chanting "THIS IS OUR HOUSE" after we are getting blown out is JUST AS SILLY as chanting HEY YOU SUCK. If you want to use that argument.

If you are going to change the song. Change it to something the fans actually will like because whether you want the song changed or not  HARDLY ANYONE liked Bon Jovi last night. Plus he's a Rangers fan.

The guy doing our new goal horn is a Rangers fan! Get the hell out of here. Use a Bruce track if you are going to be full on cheesy Jersey.

Do you know what the term "rallying cry" or "rallying chant" means?  They are terms in reference to cheers or actions fans and players do in order to make a comeback.  You've heard of "rally caps" or the "rally monkey" in Anaheim, right?  Well when a team is behind, players and fans resort to "rally"ing as a means to get their team back into the game in which they are losing.

"This is our house" can actually be used in that manner.  "You suck" cannot in any way be used in that manner.

And what's worse?  Celebrating to a song written by a Rags fan, or celebrating to a song written by a pedophile?

Do you not hear how LOUD the crowd gets chanting and clapping followed by the buzz in the arena afterwards? That IS celebrating. There is pure jubilation during the goal horn and then the song kicks in and boom, there comes the heckling half of the equation. Last night you could've heard a pin drop during the new goal song from the crowd and then booing and then silence. R&R got people fired up not only for the celebration and heckling, but for a considerable amount of time after. The song didn't accomplish either of those things. About a minute after the goal it literally felt like nothing at all had just happened.

But like I just said, no other fanbase uses their goal song as a way to jeer the opposing team.  We shouldn't either.

MB how do you celebrate a goal? Do you actually like...cheer? Do nothing? Stand up. Do a few golf claps then sit down again?

I'm curious.

I stand up, clap, cheer, and do what everybody else does.  I'l also chanted "Hey" without the "you suck!".

MB how do you celebrate a goal? Do you actually like...cheer? Do nothing? Stand up. Do a few golf claps then sit down again?

I'm curious.

He looks up from his newspaper for a few seconds and nods approvingly.   LOL.     If this keeps going I'm going to end up fully siding with the drunken mob.

But like I just said, no other fanbase uses their goal song as a way to jeer the opposing team.  We shouldn't either.

Well to quote you earlier in this same thread, "There's nothing wrong with creating new traditions." 

Well it is.  My point is, no other fanbase uses the goal song as an opportunity to jeer the other team.  We shouldn't either.

Do you know what the term "rallying cry" or "rallying chant" means?  They are terms in reference to cheers or actions fans and players do in order to make a comeback.  You've heard of "rally caps" or the "rally monkey" in Anaheim, right?  Well when a team is behind, players and fans resort to "rally"ing as a means to get their team back into the game in which they are losing.

"This is our house" can actually be used in that manner.  "You suck" cannot in any way be used in that manner.

And what's worse?  Celebrating to a song written by a Rags fan, or celebrating to a song written by a pedophile?

I don't really see how what other fanbases do should correlate to what we should do. Do we need to follow their lead? We've done that for years. The fanbase is finally growing up and finally coming into their own. We're not quite selling out every game just yet but it's like Wysh said in his article on this topic today... Long gone are the passive and quiet days in the Meadowlands, replaced by raucous and energetic crowds at the Rock. Of course I'll stand up and scream, "Hey, you suck!" because it's fun to do that. You look around and everyone is yelling it, just going crazy, and getting into the spirit of things. Who is getting offended? Look at that video of Ovi. The players aren't offended. No ones offended. So if the word's not offensive then what is it? The fact that we're doing it while celebrating a goal at the same time? If it's all in good fun then what is the problem? If people don't have a problem with razzing the other team and don't take offense to the word "suck" then I really don't see what the issue is. Additionally, why would I care who composed the music? That is irrelevant.

I like R&R part 2 but hate that it was written by a pedophile and I hate the "You Suck" chant.  I'd like to see them find a new song.

As I said earlier. No one goes into a game thinking about the morals of the person that wrote our goal horn. As said above it's irrelevant. Considering it was a version in which Glitter got NO ROYALTIES FROM.

Stop trying to make the NJD crowd experience lame. This is hockey. Bring on the loud jeering and the fights. HUSTLE AND BUSSLE!

Just use "We Will Rock You." The whole crowd will be familiar with it, it's not degrading specifically to the other team and it is uplifting to our own. It's canned and cliched, yes, but in the absence of a better alternative it's done by a guy who would screw anything other than children and who is now dead so therefore can't be vilified.

I don't really see how what other fanbases do should correlate to what we should do. Do we need to follow their lead? We've done that for years. The fanbase is finally growing up and finally coming into their own. We're not quite selling out every game just yet but it's like Wysh said in his article on this topic today... Long gone are the passive and quiet days in the Meadowlands, replaced by raucous and energetic crowds at the Rock. Of course I'll stand up and scream, "Hey, you suck!" because it's fun to do that. You look around and everyone is yelling it, just going crazy, and getting into the spirit of things. Who is getting offended? Look at that video of Ovi. The players aren't offended. No ones offended. So if the word's not offensive then what is it? The fact that we're doing it while celebrating a goal at the same time? If it's all in good fun then what is the problem? If people don't have a problem with razzing the other team and don't take offense to the word "suck" then I really don't see what the issue is. Additionally, why would I care who composed the music? That is irrelevant.

Well here's the problem.  I hear all the time that Devils fans want to be different.  But then why are we stealing other fanbases' chants?

I'agree that the game atmosphere is great due to the crazier crowds.  I enjoy the hell out of it.  I just don't understand why we have to let everyone know they suck.  It screams inferiority complex.

Listen nobody is offended by the chant itself.  But celebrate a goal in this manner?  To me, it's just not necessary.

Just use "We Will Rock You." The whole crowd will be familiar with it, it's not degrading specifically to the other team and it is uplifting to our own. It's canned and cliched, yes, but in the absence of a better alternative it's done by a guy who would screw anything other than children and who is now dead so therefore can't be vilified.

Not to mention we play in the arena nicknamed "The Rock".

As I said earlier. No one goes into a game thinking about the morals of the person that wrote our goal horn. As said above it's irrelevant. Considering it was a version in which Glitter got NO ROYALTIES FROM.

Stop trying to make the NJD crowd experience lame. This is hockey. Bring on the loud jeering and the fights. HUSTLE AND BUSSLE!

You don't need to have "you suck" chanted in order for crowds to be "Not" lame.  I agree Gary Glitter's past shouldn't influence anything, but from a PR perspective, there's nothing wrong with any organization trying to disassociate from him.

Also, how is it he gets no money when we play the song?  Do you have a source?

But how else are they gonna know they suck if we don't tell them? Seriously though, I want the other team to feel as bad as possible after they get scored on. It's a bunch of grown men playing a game for a living, I think they'll get over it.

But how else are they gonna know they suck if we don't tell them? Seriously though, I want the other team to feel as bad as possible after they get scored on. It's a bunch of grown men playing a game for a living, I think they'll get over it.

We can tell them after the goal song stops.

See in my opinion, we're missing the most important part of the college version of the chant. After telling the other team they suck during the goal song you're supposed to point at the opposing team's goalie chanting "SIEVE! SIEVE! SIEVE! SIEVE!IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!"

I'm done. You have one point that you keep reiterating that is the definition of nitpicking. Bottom line is not only does the new song suck, but you are CLEARLY in the minority on the other side of the argument based on how loud and widespread the booing was last night. I seriously doubt the Devils management is dumb enough to not see this and it will hopefully be changed by the 19th. If it's not, I will boo again. And I will continue to boo until something is done. So if you're near section 117 and you hear someone booing Bon Jovi, it'll be me...and everyone else in the arena.

The only thing you are going to hear after the goal horn stopping is 16,000 fans chanting how much they dislike the new goal horn.

The Bon Jovi horn is the new coke & Microsoft 8 of goal horns.

Edited by TheMazz

I feel like I've said this every 8 pages.

The You Suck chant isn't so much the problem. It's when it's used at the wrong time. After a score to make it 5-2 to Winnipeg in a losing effort? Don't say it.

That's why the change.

And yelling "This is our house" when down 5-2 to Winnipeg would be better? Nevermind, I said I'm done. I have to stop reading this thread.

I feel like I've said this every 8 pages.

The You Suck chant isn't so much the problem. It's when it's used at the wrong time. After a score to make it 5-2 to Winnipeg in a losing effort? Don't say it.

That's why the change.

And chanting "This is Our House" in a losing effort brings the same result.

If they plan on keeping this as the horn then that argument is a void one.