Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

At more than 30 pages in, this thread is like a really bad TV show -- I know I should want to ignore it, but I just can't bring myself to look away.

When all is said and done, it belongs in the NJDevs.com Hall of Fame.

The Diablos' chants are actually linked to the team/state/whatever, not what a 5 year old thinks is funny that's completely unrelated to the individual team or sport 

It's so much of a devils tradition other teams use it too!

I agree completely.  The Diablos show more care for the Devils than they do for the opposition.  They go to the games to actually cheer on our team.

I also agree with the 2nd part.  We don't own "Rock and Roll part 2".  We also don't own "you suck".  Yet it's our tradition?  I'm all for fan traditions and whatnot, but this case it's way overblown.

I like this mindset. When we did have Rock and Roll part 2, I personally have never gone to management demanding they change the song even though I absolutely loathe the chant. "It is what it is".

Now the tables have turned. The song has been officially changed. Why can't all of the Rock and Roll 2 lovers get over this change? If chanting "Hey, you suck!" is the only reason some people attend a hockey game, then I just don't know what to say.

There's hypocrisy on both sides. But here's the problem. Now that the song is changed, why is it so hard for people to get over it?

Because the new song ducks donkey nuts. Now, dont forget to grab a Zima before you head out to the Bon Jovi show tonight. :)

Can we just all agree that the new song sucks and has to change to something that gets the place rocking the way Rock and Roll Part 2 did? I'm down for them trying new songs that can get the crowd into it, but on the off-chance that none do, they should just go back to R&R. It's better than shanghai-ing that crowd with a sh!t song and seems like a reasonable compromise to me. I'm all for whatever goal song gets the crowd going the way it did before. If that's a new song, so be it. If it's RRP2, so be it. That's really what this is all about and the only way we're gonna get there is trial and error, hence why this should've been done in the preseason.

Can we just all agree that the new song sucks and has to change to something that gets the place rocking the way Rock and Roll Part 2 did? I'm down for them trying new songs that can get the crowd into it, but on the off-chance that none do, they should just go back to R&R. It's better than shanghai-ing that crowd with a sh!t song and seems like a reasonable compromise to me. I'm all for whatever goal song gets the crowd going the way it did before. If that's a new song, so be it. If it's RRP2, so be it. That's really what this is all about and the only way we're gonna get there is trial and error, hence why this should've been done in the preseason.

I can't disagree with this post one bit.  Kudos to you.

Well the song does suck.  But why does it HAVE to be Rock and Roll part 2?

It doesn't HAVE to be, I'm just pissed they changed it because of the "hey, you suck". That's really my biggest gripe. They're giving in to people who want to "purify" pro sports and rid all the profanity, because their little kids will hear. Next they'll be giving the Devils penalties because someone in the crowd yelled at a ref to F-off or something. Or fans will be immediately removed the moment they say anything not G-rated. Profanity, as long as it doesn't become every word that's said is part of the passion and experience of being a fan who actually cares. It's human nature to swear sometimes...just know when to control it.

That's my gripe with it being changed, otherwise if it was time for a new song, so be it. Just pick one that isn't just an artist from NJ for a silly tie-in or shameless promo.

Edited by Legion15

It doesn't HAVE to be, I'm just pissed they changed it because of the "hey, you suck". That's really my biggest gripe. They're giving in to people who want to "purify" pro sports and rid all the profanity, because their little kids will hear. That's my gripe with it being changed, otherwise if it was time for a new song, so be it. Just pick one that isn't just an artist from NJ.

I think they changed it more for Gary Glitter's allegations more than the "you suck".  That's what I was told anyways.

It doesn't HAVE to be, I'm just pissed they changed it because of the "hey, you suck". That's really my biggest gripe. They're giving in to people who want to "purify" pro sports and rid all the profanity, because their little kids will hear. That's my gripe with it being changed, otherwise if it was time for a new song, so be it. Just pick one that isn't just an artist from NJ.

Ugh! For the millionth time it has NOTHING to do with profanity or little kids or the purification of anything. What is it going to take for some of you to get this through your heads? My God.... :doh1:

Ugh! For the millionth time it has NOTHING to do with profanity or little kids or the purification of anything. What is it going to take for some of you to get this through your heads? My God.... :doh1:

I'm pretty sure parents with kids complained. They give you dirty looks when you sit in the row in front of them and drop and F-bomb in conversation with your friends. Sure ok, I'll buy the Gary Glitter story too, that story does make sense and yeah, you don't want to be associated with a guy like that...just what irritates me the most is who they picked as a replacement. It just seemed they picked JBJ because of some cliche Jersey tie-in and not because people liked the song. I mean I'd rather use "Raise your hands" from the 80s if you're going to pick his music.

I'm pretty sure parents with kids complained. They give you dirty looks when you sit in the row in front of them and drop and F-bomb in conversation with your friends. Sure ok, I'll buy the Gary Glitter story too, that story does make sense and yeah, you don't want to be associated with a guy like that...just what irritates me the most is who they picked as a replacement. It just seemed they picked JBJ because of some cliche Jersey tie-in and not because people liked the song. I mean I'd rather use "Raise your hands" from the 80s if you're going to pick his music.

I personally don't buy the Gary Glitter story as the reason.  Why would you go back to it after ditching it the first time?

Well, yeah, they'd complain about dropping F-bombs in earshot of their young kids. I would to. You think it's proper to drop F bombs and other lewdness in front of 5 year olds and 8 year olds just because you're at a hockey game in a public place? You can definitely tell those who aren't parents.

• Like 1

I like how the ones who like the you suck chant constantly harp on "tradition"

I bet if devils management went to them and said they can have R&R part 2 back on the condition that you can't say you suck most of them would reject it.

Again after going to about 100 games at the rock over the past 4 seasons alone I can say that at least 80% of the people chanting it are in their teens and twenties.

Well, yeah, they'd complain about dropping F-bombs in earshot of their young kids. I would to. You think it's proper to drop F bombs and other lewdness in front of 5 year olds and 8 year olds just because you're at a hockey game in a public place? You can definitely tell those who aren't parents.

There's absolutely nothing the organization can do about people going on f-bomb tirades.  Fans have to respect the decision made by the organization.

Fans have to respect the decision made by the organization.

And paying customers have the option to do exactly as they did Friday night and the organization will have to respect that decision as well.

So fanbases shouldn't sing-song the other team's goalie/star player either?  Cause that's basically the same thing - mocking someone else instead of cheering your own team (and at least with the goal song we cheer for the team first THEN start the mocking).  Ranger fans explaining why they're chanting Marty at MSG would seem just as odd in that context.  

It isn't this at all.  Do Rangers fans start chanting Marty immediately during their goal song?  Serenading goalies is fine, mocking opponents is fine, just save it for some time after a goal is scored.

That's fair.

But, Nashville plays a Tim McGraw song before they play Rock and Roll 2.  That makes a huge difference.  They don't overdo the "sucks" thing like we do.  Also the "you suck" isn't as audible on the tv when Nashville does it.

My suggestion is do the "Hey!" chant without the "you suck" chant.  Then follow that up with the "opposing team sucks!" chant.  It makes the overall goal celebration less awkward, and we can still tell the opposing team they suck.

What are your thoughts on the other chants? Are they "lowbrow"? Forget that you are a Devils fan here for a second. Simple question. Do you think those chants listed in that article are "low brow" and "classless"

What are your thoughts on the other chants? Are they "lowbrow"? Forget that you are a Devils fan here for a second. Simple question. Do you think those chants listed in that article are "low brow" and "classless"

I'm actually relieved that there are other teams that have fans that try to ruin the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nope.  Nor do I think "you suck" is classless.