Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

Honestly, I think that's the best way to do it. Say you can have RR pt 2 back, but no you suck chant..........Then reach out to this board and give us all $100 food and beverage cards to appease us. That would be alright. Didn't the Red Bulls do something like this recently?

Why would they have to bribe you to not chant it?  We all know that without a bribe at least 80% of the fans would never agree to it.

Again with the literal interpretation of it!! I'm sure the fans would like to chant 'Hey, you are not welcome in our house and our team is far more well liked than you visiting lot, so here is our passionate fan base yelling to make you feel unwelcomed!' But yelling 'you suck' is a simpler, truncated version of that. Can the embarrassed few who dont like the chant stop taking it so literally? We yell suck after player intros too, told hof player Brett Hull he sucked in the 2000 scf intros. Does it mean he really does sucks or that we are just an uninformed fan base about his abilities? Lol.. It's a chant that has to do with energy not something that is supposed to hold up in the court of law.

You equate "You suck" to "Hey, you are not welcome in our house and our team is far more well liked than you visiting lot, so here is our passionate fan base yelling to make you feel unwelcomed"? 

That might be the problem. That's not what it means. "You suck" is generally interpreted at "You are bad at what you are trying to do". It can be used to get under someones' skin even if they don't suck. I get that. But it serves no purpose other than to make us look like a stupid fanbase to chant it when we are getting spanked. That's my issue.  

Edited by mrthemike

I can't believe so many people are up in arms about the "You Suck" chant. Get over yourselves. This is hockey, not golf. Have any opposing players ever complained about it? Saying "You Suck" is not as bad as some other fans (like throwing a banana on the ice).

With three other major teams in our area (with huge fanbases), we needed something that would make our fans loud and energetic during games and chanting "You Suck" was a big part of that. I don't know what’s more embarrassing, chanting a slightly derogatory phrase (even when we are losing), or having opposing fans in our own building be louder than we are half of the time.

I think we all can agree it needs to be changed, either back to RR pt 2 or something else that can be voted on by fans.

Why would they have to bribe you to not chant it?  We all know that without a bribe at least 80% of the fans would never agree to it.

They wouldn't have to bribe me. I just want free stuff for nothing, lol. I did think it would appease some people though. Might work. Might also be a big waste because everyone took the bribe then chanted you suck anyways.

Wow... can't believe this thread got this long so quickly.  I liked the old song.  I liked it with the "You suck" and everything.  If we're worried about what people are going to think of us based on a chant at a game, that's messed up.  Half the shows TV and cable air are a lot worse.  Does that mean they shouldn't be aired anymore because people will think the networks are foolish?  I don't think so.  It's just a chant that  actually gives most of the fans a chance to make some noise because they're happy.  Doesn't even necessarily mean that we really think they suck.  Its just for entertainment.  Don't see what the big deal is.  Besides, as a fan base we could really stand to make a little more noise anyway. 

People shouldn't take things so seriously.  Just my 2 cents.

Edited by dmon2010

Wow... can't believe this thread got this long so quickly.  I liked the old song.  I liked it with the "You suck" and everything.  If we're worried about what people are going to think of us based on a chant at a game, that's messed up.  Half the shows TV and cable do a lot worse.  Does that mean they shouldn't be aired anymore because people will think the networks are foolish?  I don't think so.  It's just a chant that  actually gives most of the fans a chance to make some noise because they're happy.  Doesn't even necessarily mean that we really think they suck.  Its just for entertainment.  Don't see what the big deal is.  Besides, as a fan base we could really stand to make a little more noise anyway. 

People shouldn't take things so seriously.  Just my 2 cents.

best post yet

Wow... can't believe this thread got this long so quickly. I liked the old song. I liked it with the "You suck" and everything. If we're worried about what people are going to think of us based on a chant at a game, that's messed up. Half the shows TV and cable do a lot worse. Does that mean they shouldn't be aired anymore because people will think the networks are foolish? I don't think so. It's just a chant that actually gives most of the fans a chance to make some noise because they're happy. Doesn't even necessarily mean that we really think they suck. Its just for entertainment. Don't see what the big deal is. Besides, as a fan base we could really stand to make a little more noise anyway.

People shouldn't take things so seriously. Just my 2 cents.

Again for the 1000th time, it has nothing to do with you suck being a dirty word. I don't think anyone here who is against it think that you suck is dirty one bit.

Again for the 1000th time, it has nothing to do with you suck being a dirty word. I don't think anyone here who is against it think that you suck is dirty one bit.

Actually it is about "you suck" being a dirty word. The new owners want it to be a more family friendly environment. ONE person complained about "you suck" and that's why they need to get rid of it. The ushers were told to stop the fans from saying the word "SUCK".

Which I personally think is REDICULOUS.

Actually it is about "you suck" being a dirty word. The new owners want it to be a more family friendly environment. ONE person complained about "you suck" and that's why they need to get rid of it. The ushers were told to stop the fans from saying the word "SUCK".

Not buying this, unless the one person complaining is one of the new owners or buys three rows of club seats or something.  I certainly agree that the new owners could want to change the song for that reason, but I doubt it's on the back of one complaint.

Are there any sources or quotes where the owners have said, "We want to change the culture so that it is more family friendly". 

Suck isn't a bad word, no one cares about saying sucks.  That's not the point.

Are there any sources or quotes where the owners have said, "We want to change the culture so that it is more family friendly". 

Suck isn't a bad word, no one cares about saying sucks.  That's not the point.

source is my boss who runs operations. They consider "suck" to be a bad word and of phallic imagery. I was told guests cannot use inappropriate language and that includes talking about "body parts" like "this guy (mouths the word) sucks". Yeah, they can get pretty PG and PC sometimes. And all it takes is one complaint about ANYTHING for them to put consideration into changing something, specially if it doesn't cost money.

source is my boss who runs operations. They consider "suck" to be a bad word and of phallic imagery. I was told guests cannot use inappropriate language and that includes talking about "body parts" like "this guy (mouths the word) sucks". Yeah, they can get pretty PG and PC sometimes. And all it takes is one complaint about ANYTHING for them to put consideration into changing something, specially if it doesn't cost money.

You work for the team? And your boss runs operations?

So why aren't our complaints about it being taken away taken with the same weight?

I have no reason not to believe this story, but I sure hope it isn't true.  If 1 complaining fan is all it takes to change long standing policy/tradition (I'm talking about the song and not the "you suck" chant) that affects the game day entertainment of 17,000 people, then we are going to play in a completely silent building. 

Almost every song played at the Rock is objectionable to someone, for some reason .  I am also personally offended by "PSE&G" sponsoring our power play since it promotes the use of fossil fuels rather than clean, renewable energy.  Think I will try to get that changed as well.  While I'm at it, maybe its time for NJ to go as well.  He clearly promotes satanic worship and is meant to target young and impressionable fans.  Can't have that now can we. 

So why aren't our complaints about it being taken away taken with the same weight?

Well to be fair we haven't had a game since, so know one knows if our complaints are being taken. But probably because they still consider "sucks" as a bad word. So it won't win.

I have no reason not to believe this story, but I sure hope it isn't true.  If 1 complaining fan is all it takes to change long standing policy/tradition (I'm talking about the song and not the "you suck" chant) that affects the game day entertainment of 17,000 people, then we are going to play in a completely silent building. 

Almost every song played at the Rock is objectionable to someone, for some reason .  I am also personally offended by "PSE&G" sponsoring our power play since it promotes the use of fossil fuels rather than clean, renewable energy.  Think I will try to get that changed as well.  While I'm at it, maybe its time for NJ to go as well.  He clearly promotes satanic worship and is meant to target young and impressionable fans.  Can't have that now can we. 

You might be talking about the song and not the chant, but the chant and the song are now married. So whether we're talking about the song or the chant is irrelevant since you cant get rid of the chant without getting rid of the song.

True story: Some preacher was performing (forgot who) and there was an hour delay to him coming on stage. Reason was because of all the Devils logos. He wanted them taken down. I'm not even kidding. He finally came on though.

This reminds me of concerts sometimes. Guy is standing up. Guy sitting behind him complains saying the standing fan is ruining his fun. Then guy standing says him having to sit will ruin his fun. Both are technically right with their complaints. But sitting guy wins because it's the easiest solution (standing guy sits down and isn't having fun, but he still sees the show, guy sitting down doesn't have to be moved to be behind someone who isn't standing)

Well to be fair we haven't had a game since, so know one knows if our complaints are being taken. But probably because they still consider "sucks" as a bad word. So it won't win.

You might be talking about the song and not the chant, but the chant and the song are now married. So whether we're talking about the song or the chant is irrelevant since you cant get rid of the chant without getting rid of the song.

True story: Some preacher was performing (forgot who) and there was an hour delay to him coming on stage. Reason was because of all the Devils logos. He wanted them taken down. I'm not even kidding. He finally came on though.

This reminds me of concerts sometimes. Guy is standing up. Guy sitting behind him complains saying the standing fan is ruining his fun. Then guy standing says him having to sit will ruin his fun. Both are technically right with their complaints. But sitting guy wins because it's the easiest solution (standing guy sits down and isn't having fun, but he still sees the show, guy sitting down doesn't have to be moved to be behind someone who isn't standing)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA @ a preacher complaining about the logos. WELCOME TO HELL!!

Seriously though, is he that clueless that he had no idea the NJ Devils were the primary tenant of the building?

And can this thread just be closed? I waited all offseason for threads that weren't about nothing, then this is the only thread getting action after the season starts. Damn.

RR pt 2 is clearly the best goal song choice due to tradition and it's a point in the game where the crowd gets reliably loud. Though someone suggested the "Hey! Hey! Hey!" section of Ain't Talkin' Bout Love. That was the only suggestion I liked, at all. It got energy, it's a rock song, it's got "Hey" in it.

The chant, while not offensive, is pretty lame, especially when we're getting crushed.

And JBJ sucks a fat one. Whoever chose a song by him should be fired, immediately.

I really hope they pick another song. I'm gonna flip out if this ends up being a story all year.

Edited by ATLL765
  • Like 1

Almost every song played at the Rock is objectionable to someone, for some reason .  I am also personally offended by "PSE&G" sponsoring our power play since it promotes the use of fossil fuels rather than clean, renewable energy.  Think I will try to get that changed as well.  While I'm at it, maybe its time for NJ to go as well.  He clearly promotes satanic worship and is meant to target young and impressionable fans.  Can't have that now can we

I do think NJ should have more than 1 mask though.  The one he has now he will wear when the team is winning.  Another one for when the team is losing and it is him with a pissed off look.  It does sometimes bug me when the Devils are down 5-1 and he has that stupid smirk on his face.

I do think NJ should have more than 1 mask though.  The one he has now he will wear when the team is winning.  Another one for when the team is losing and it is him with a pissed off look.  It does sometimes bug me when the Devils are down 5-1 and he has that stupid smirk on his face.

But not too pissed off looking. Wouldn't want to frighten the children.

• Like 1

And now, the Pfister Energy profane goal scoring chant....