Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

I do think NJ should have more than 1 mask though.  The one he has now he will wear when the team is winning.  Another one for when the team is losing and it is him with a pissed off look.  It does sometimes bug me when the Devils are down 5-1 and he has that stupid smirk on his face.

HAHA!!!  That's a great idea.  Time to demand the change. 

And now, the Pfister Energy profane goal scoring chant....

Now that's thinking like an executive...you should work for the Devils.  If they could monetize you taking a dump in the bathroom at the Rock, they would. 

It can't be because of one email, or the new owners, for that matter. Last year they started putting "You Rock!" on the video board during the goal song to stop people from saying "you suck"..

I was told the song was changed because of Gary Glitter. Where did you hear about this one email thing?

I love the analogy of some fans standing for a concert and some sitting. Our anti you suck fans are the sitting fans yelling the standing fans that they have to sit as well because they are blocking the view of those that are sitting.

One week in and we're not talking hockey, we're arguing about a frigging song.

Some of us at the concert came to see the band and not the guy yelling freebird who thinks he is funny.

One week in and we're not talking hockey, we're arguing about a frigging song.

Some of us at the concert came to see the band and not the guy yelling freebird who thinks he is funny.

There's been nothing else to talk about since this happened. If we weren't talking about this, you'd definitely have people saying the sky is falling cuz we're 0-1-1. I'll take this over that any day of the week.

I copied this from the Section 233's Facebook page....

News on the Devils goal song....Today the Devils organization had a meeting and they will use a different song over the next 3 home games and have some kind of fan vote from what I was told. So its up to us fans on what the next goal song will be. It will NOT be the Hey song. They stressed it is not coming back. So Devils fans we have to forget about the hey song and move on from this. They want to change the culture. Having a song where the fans say "YOU SUCK!" they feel is not right anymore. Its not a good fit.

There have been many complaints by the fans about changing the goal song since opening night. The Devils do not want to bring back that song and they do not want to hear the "YOU SUCK!" I tried to explain to them this has been the Devils culture for years now with the Hey song and we have been through this once before and it failed miserably. They understand the fans are unhappy and do not like change but the Hey song is not coming back. I said if you want to see the Devils fans happy then bring back the Hey song! Some fans have called in and emailed to the Devils they are thinking of boycotting the games until the Hey song comes back which I think that is a bit overboard there. To each is own I guess and its their money and tickets.

We will have to wait and see what they are going to do and which songs they are going to use during the next three home games. It will be interesting. Still think this is going to fail once again but the Devils are set on not bringing the Hey song back!

Oh goody, I can't wait to see what no doubt sh!tty "Jersey" song they bust out next. What are the odds on Bruce?

At least they are listening to the fans (somewhat).  Unfortunately for them, I think this is also doomed for failure as eventually the "you suck" chant will make it back in one form or another, regardless of the goal song that is played.

The fans that like and miss the chant will find a way to do it.  For example...right after puck is dropped on the faceoff following the goal and the new goal song is turned off, the crowd chants, "Hey...You suck!"  I can see something like that developing over time. 

I copied this from the Section 233's Facebook page....

News on the Devils goal song....Today the Devils organization had a meeting and they will use a different song over the next 3 home games and have some kind of fan vote from what I was told. So its up to us fans on what the next goal song will be. It will NOT be the Hey song. They stressed it is not coming back. So Devils fans we have to forget about the hey song and move on from this. They want to change the culture. Having a song where the fans say "YOU SUCK!" they feel is not right anymore. Its not a good fit.

There have been many complaints by the fans about changing the goal song since opening night. The Devils do not want to bring back that song and they do not want to hear the "YOU SUCK!" I tried to explain to them this has been the Devils culture for years now with the Hey song and we have been through this once before and it failed miserably. They understand the fans are unhappy and do not like change but the Hey song is not coming back. I said if you want to see the Devils fans happy then bring back the Hey song! Some fans have called in and emailed to the Devils they are thinking of boycotting the games until the Hey song comes back which I think that is a bit overboard there. To each is own I guess and its their money and tickets.

We will have to wait and see what they are going to do and which songs they are going to use during the next three home games. It will be interesting. Still think this is going to fail once again but the Devils are set on not bringing the Hey song back!

Ummmmmm.........Wow  :blahblah:

At least they are listening to the fans (somewhat).  Unfortunately for them, I think this is also doomed for failure as eventually the "you suck" chant will make it back in one form or another, regardless of the goal song that is played.

The fans that like and miss the chant will find a way to do it.  For example...right after puck is dropped on the faceoff following the goal and the new goal song is turned off, the crowd chants, "Hey...You suck!"  I can see something like that developing over time. 

Oh goody, I can't wait to see what no doubt sh!tty "Jersey" song they bust out next. What are the odds on Bruce?

2:1 on Bruce.  50:1 on Naughty by Nature.  1billion:1 on Killer Kherk Cobain

I mean, this is an acceptable compromise, I understand the crowd has to chant the word 'suck' 800 times a night, but it would definitely beat having it be part of the song.

• Like 1

I was told the song was changed because of Gary Glitter. Where did you hear about this one email thing?

That's supposedly why it was removed the first time, in the mid 00's (06 maybe?). It was a league-wide thing, but possibly not league mandated. I believe the NFL officially banned it. Once something was cleared up with royalties no longer going to Glitter, it began to reappear in the NFL and I think Colorado brought it back to the NHL.

We used Ole for a year or 2, and we had the god awful Zombie Nation song the first year or so at the Rock. Then one opening night, it was RR2 again.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

The Islanders got rid of R&R part 2 - in a month this will be mostly forgotten about.  I assume there will be a token You Suck chant but without the music to accompany it will fade.

Yeah, but alot of the audience gains the Devils have made are of the "Loudville" ilk.    This is not going to be let go of.    That... and because of the schedule, the team is being set up to play from behind in the standings all season, even in a decent scenario, so people will be good and cranky to begin with.

The team really should let go on this.   That it's still a topic is a pretty good sign it's been outright rejected.    They are misreading their audience.    Now maybe they want to CHANGE their audience but that would be an even poorer decision than misreading it.

Yeah, but alot of the audience gains the Devils have made are of the "Loudville" ilk.    This is not going to be let go of.    That... and because of the schedule, the team is being set up to play from behind in the standings all season, even in a decent scenario, so people will be good and cranky to begin with.

The team really should let go on this.   That it's still a topic is a pretty good sign it's been outright rejected.    They are misreading their audience.    Now maybe they want to CHANGE their audience but that would be an even poorer decision than misreading it.

If they're playing from behind in the standings all the time, there might not be many opportunities to chant 'You suck!'.  Whatever the case, my guess is that to a degree they want to change their audience and this is the first step.  

I know someone mentioned it was overplayed during the playoffs but FoB's Light 'Em Up really does work for the Devils....lighting up the goal light, mentioning fire, and a catchy bit the fans can chant with at the end...I don't care if it ends up being a god awful song as long as I'm hearing it a lot.

If they're playing from behind in the standings all the time, there might not be many opportunities to chant 'You suck!'.  Whatever the case, my guess is that to a degree they want to change their audience and this is the first step.  

Not sure who they want to replace them with, the obnoxious 20 something year old with discretionary income is the perfect "mark" for season tickets, it's how I got in and I hung on for a long time.  They also tend to mature as they get older.  Either way it's a bad misreading.

Edited by maxpower

Not sure who they want to replace them with, the obnoxious 20 something year old with discretionary income is the perfect "mark" for season tickets, it's how I got in and I hung on for a long time.  They also tend to mature as they get older.  Either way it's a bad misreading.

Scott O'Neill's opening remarks about coming on board as CEO seemed to indicate that they wanted to increase their corporate presence.  Obnoxious 20 somethings are certainly better than nothing, but they don't often buy club seats or boxes.

That's supposedly why it was removed the first time, in the mid 00's (06 maybe?). It was a league-wide thing, but possibly not league mandated. I believe the NFL officially banned it. Once something was cleared up with royalties no longer going to Glitter, it began to reappear in the NFL and I think Colorado brought it back to the NHL.

We used Ole for a year or 2, and we had the god awful Zombie Nation song the first year or so at the Rock. Then one opening night, it was RR2 again.

I'm pretty sure there's no way to prevent royalties being paid to someone when they're rightfully earned. Even if the guy is a convicted pedophile.

They would have had to prove the actual making of the song was linked to the crimes and was part of it and thus not legally earned income. I think. I'm not a lawyer though.

Edited by ATLL765