Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

LOL. Sorry but this is too funny. Pot...kettle.

I know.  Probably has something to do with the fact I said the only reason the YS chant was hearable is because it was the Rags.  I'll own up to that as well.

if they are gonna do the bell after the goal, they should have it correspond to the number of goals, 4 goals=4 dings

That would be cool.

For our entire existence the biggest knock against our club was the lack of fans, attendance, arena atmosphere, etc...The you suck chant was a chant that organically grew and brought the majority of fans screaming in unison to taunt the opposition. It wasn't noise encouraged by the Jumbotron or some marketing campaign, but rather thru a natural enjoyment from the fans to cheer their team. And you couldn't get a chant more Jersey. Taking this away to appease a few stuck up individuals is a reminder that the club isn't for the fans.

Yup. Yes sir.

They played the first bell tone from Hells Bells after the 1st and 4th goals, if I recall correctly. I wouldn't mind that becoming a thing, to be honest. Just another unique thing the Devils could do to distinguish their goal celebration.

Yeah I thought that was good too. Imagine if the crowd counted along with the bells...

***ring*** "ONE!" ***ring*** "TWO!" ***ring*** "THREE!" ***ring*** "FOUR NOTHING!" (the whole arena)...

• Like 1

Yeah I thought that was good too. Imagine if the crowd counted along with the bells...

***ring*** "ONE!" ***ring*** "TWO!" ***ring*** "THREE!" ***ring*** "FOUR NOTHING!" (the whole arena)...

Makes me think of Mike Miller on the radio. "And it's THREE.............NOTHING!!!............NEW JERSEY!!!!" I know that had nothing to do with what you were talking about, but it brought that to my mind and I felt the need to type it.

The one cool thing the Thrashers used to do:  add extra little foghorn blares after the goal horn stopped, depending on how many goals had been scored.  Always liked that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

At this point there's going to be a group of fans who are going to try to incorporate "You Suck"or some variation in any song they try. 

The only way to avoid it is to use something that you can't chant to. Just a regular upbeat song, although even then I'm sure they'll find a way.

Letting the fans pick was a terrible decision. It was obviously going to be 3 generic popular sports songs. Every single sports team I support uses 7 Nation Army in one form or another. If there was a good reason for the change, the new song better be original and better be from a New Jersey artist.

Makes me think of Mike Miller on the radio. "And it's THREE.............NOTHING!!!............NEW JERSEY!!!!" I know that had nothing to do with what you were talking about, but it brought that to my mind and I felt the need to type it.

There's a section somewhere in the arena that does that as a chant after every goal. I think it may have been in 208/209. At least a dozen or so people do it just like Mike Miller in that section, if I recall correctly.

Letting the fans pick was a terrible decision. It was obviously going to be 3 generic popular sports songs. Every single sports team I support uses 7 Nation Army in one form or another. If there was a good reason for the change, the new song better be original and better be from a New Jersey artist.

They didn't let the fans pick until after management did. And management had picked a song from a NJ artist.

That just doesn't work. How many recognizable NJ musicians are there? JBJ, Springsteen, some other random bands that half the arena has probably never heard of. It's not enough of a pool of songs to work from.

They didn't let the fans pick until after management did. And management had picked a song from a NJ artist.

That just doesn't work. How many recognizable NJ musicians are there? JBJ, Springsteen, some other random bands that half the arena has probably never heard of. It's not enough of a pool of songs to work from.

there are a lot of bands out there and i am not even including rap in this list....

Skid Row

Yo La Tengo

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Bouncing Souls 

Gaslight Anthem

Titus Andronicus

Saves the Day

Midtown

Misfits

Blues Traveler

Smithereens

Screaming Females

honestly coming to an agreement on this is pointless because everyone has different musical tastes so not everyone is going to be happy. plus we can hardly agree on who should start let alone choose a song

there are a lot of bands out there and i am not even including rap in this list....

Skid Row

Yo La Tengo

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Bouncing Souls 

Gaslight Anthem

Titus Andronicus

Saves the Day

Midtown

Misfits

Blues Traveler

Smithereens

Screaming Females

honestly coming to an agreement on this is pointless because everyone has different musical tastes so not everyone is going to be happy. plus we can hardly agree on who should start let alone choose a song

My argument still stands. I've heard of, out of that list, the Misfits, Blues Traveler(all of their one song anybody knows) and that's about it. I've heard of the Bouncing Souls and Gaslight Anthem, but could not name a song by either of them and I highly doubt that I'm not at least somewhat representative of the fan base here.

Edited by ATLL765

My argument still stands. I've heard of, out of that list, the Misfits, Blues Traveler(all of their one song anybody knows) and that's about it. I've heard of the Bouncing Souls and Gaslight Anthem, but could not name a song by either of them and I highly doubt that I'm not at least somewhat representative of the fan base here.

You've never heard of Skid Row? Even I've heard of Skid Row and I haven't heard of anybody.

My bad, missed that one. Was never a fan really and they were popular a bit before my day. Not into a lot of the 80s "metal" bands.

Skid Row's best known album was released when you were like 1 or 2. They weren't an 80's band  :thumbsup:

I'm an 80's and 90's child and as i get older i get more and more amazed at the generation gap. Probably my parents said the same thing and so on and so forth. But it seems there's such a divide in society between 18-25 and the 35+ anymore. I think you're seeing that in the goal song, you suck and just about anything. It's just noticable maybe because 15-20 years ago the way things were then is just so dramatically different and that's only a short time when you really think.

Um.  Rock and Roll 2 has been played even more to death.

R&R2 is a goal song. It just fits for whatever reason.  Seven Nation Army is a song thousands of brosefs can fist pump a Bud Light and yell "ohhh ohh oh oh ohh ohhh!" to.  It's played at almost every situation in a football or basketball game. 1st down, 3rd down, 0:30 seconds left no timeouts and on and on.  It just doesn't fit as a goal song.  R&R2 is hardly ever heard outside of a post-scoring situation whereas SNA is everywhere all the time.

I think you can tell I'm a lil anti-SNA ;)

Edited by gardenstatepkwy

58 pages about what song to play for 20 seconds after a goal.  Sad that some of you don't care this much about the product for the other 2 1/2 hours.  Even worse are the people who threathen to stop buying tickets because of it.

Glad I'm not young and dumb.

Skid Row's best known album was released when you were like 1 or 2. They weren't an 80's band  :thumbsup:

I'm an 80's and 90's child and as i get older i get more and more amazed at the generation gap. Probably my parents said the same thing and so on and so forth. But it seems there's such a divide in society between 18-25 and the 35+ anymore. I think you're seeing that in the goal song, you suck and just about anything. It's just noticable maybe because 15-20 years ago the way things were then is just so dramatically different and that's only a short time when you really think.

They were on the edge of the 80s-90s and their style is a very 80s pop metal sound, so I lumped them in.

The generation gap is the same as it's always been, that's just you being old and nostalgic. I can't stand when people talk about different generations like they're different species of animals. No, things are not drastically different now then they were 20 years ago. There's different tech, different music, different looks, people are exactly the same. If you think there weren't immature drunk a$$holes in 1985 then I don't know what to tell you.

They were on the edge of the 80s-90s and their style is a very 80s pop metal sound, so I lumped them in.

The generation gap is the same as it's always been, that's just you being old and nostalgic. I can't stand when people talk about different generations like they're different species of animals. No, things are not drastically different now then they were 20 years ago. There's different tech, different music, different looks, people are exactly the same. If you think there weren't immature drunk a$$holes in 1985 then I don't know what to tell you.

Almost EVERYONE waxes nostalgic about the time period they grew up.  You'll always have people who grew up in the 40s and 50s telling you how swell it was growing up back then, how people respected each other to the hilt, etc.  They'll leave out the parts about Jim Crow, what Jackie Robinson and others who broke color barriers had to go through, how homosexuality wasn't tolerated at all, how opportunities for women weren't anywhere near what they are now. 

I basically grew up in the 80s (was 9 on January 1, 1980, and 19 on December 31, 1989), and on one hand, I can tell you it was a much simpler time, but I can also tell you that a lot of that had to do with where I grew up (Hillsborough, NJ).  It was a small, relatively peaceful place, and not terribly built up yet (it's much more so now).  It was the kind of town that churns out "innocent and simple" kind of memories.  For people who grew up in rougher areas, I'm sure it was a lot different. 

With younger people (I'm 43...I'm talking about roughly 15-25ish types), I find there's a lot more disconnect.  Sometimes it seems like they've always got their faces shoved in gadgets, be it a portable gaming system, iPod, cell phone...I have a number of 20-somethings working for me, and during their breaks, out come the gadgets...almost no conversation.  I think people HAVE changed, but I think technology has facilitated a lot of the change.  And I think a lot of parents my age haven't helped...so much easier to buy the kids gadgets and have them hang out in their rooms all day, than it is to actually talk to them, play with them, and spend quality time with them...heaven forbid!  A lot of my parents my age suck...they have their kids, then act like everything they have to do for them and with them is a major inconvenience.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

No, it's different. If you don't understand that 18-20 years ago there was no internet, social media to run your daily life, and your cell phone (if you were lucky/privledged enough to have one) was the size of a walkie talkie then i don't know what to tell you. Oh, but we had pagers and then had to find a phone and have change or a call card. Yippie! 

In other words, what you wake up and have today as a norm, in 1992 was a pipe dream, movie-like created technology even. Now gathered, at your age, you don't even have a remote clue (just like i had no clue about my fathers 8 track tapes and 45 records and such) what it's like to live through a generation gap, because you haven't yet. But to say things aren't "drastically different" is not only ignorant it's silly. 

Edited by TheRedStorm

Almost EVERYONE waxes nostalgic about the time period they grew up.  You'll always have people who grew up in the 40s and 50s telling you how swell it was growing up back then, how people respected each other to the hilt, etc.  They'll leave out the parts about Jim Crow, what Jackie Robinson and others who broke color barriers had to go through, how homosexuality wasn't tolerated at all, how opportunities for women weren't anywhere near what they are now. 

I basically grew up in the 80s (was 9 on January 1, 1980, and 19 on December 31, 1989), and on one hand, I can tell you it was a much simpler time, but I can also tell you that a lot of that had to do with where I grew up (Hillsborough, NJ).  It was a small, relatively peaceful place, and not terribly built up yet (it's much more so now).  It was the kind of town that churns out "innocent and simple" kind of memories.  For people who grew up in rougher areas, I'm sure it was a lot different. 

With younger people (I'm 43...I'm talking about roughly 15-25ish types), I find there's a lot more disconnect.  Sometimes it seems like they've always got their faces shoved in gadgets, be it a portable gaming system, iPod, cell phone...I have a number of 20-somethings working for me, and during their breaks, out come the gadgets...almost no conversation.  I think people HAVE changed, but I think technology has facilitated a lot of the change.  And I think a lot of parents my age haven't helped...so much easier to buy the kids gadgets and have them hang out in their rooms all day, than it is to actually talk to them, play with them, and spend quality time with them...heaven forbid!  A lot of my parents my age suck...they have their kids, then act like everything they have to do for them and with them is a major inconvenience.   

This is 100% true.  Cannot agree more.