Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

No, it's different. If you don't understand that 20 years ago there was no internet, social media to run your life, and your cell phone (if you were lucky/privledged enough to have one) was the size of a walkie talkie. Oh, but had pagers. Yippie! 

In other words, what you wake up and have today as a norm, in 1992 was a pipe dream, movie-like created technology even. Now gathered, at your age, you don't even have a remote clue (just like i had no clue about my fathers 8 track tapes and 45 records and such) what it's like to give through a generation gap, because you haven't. But to say things aren't "drastically different" is not only ignorant it's silly.

Baloney. When they didn't have video games and cell phone and the internet to parent their kids, they just used TV. Tech changes, not the people.

And what planet were you on that you were clueless as to what an 8-track was/is or a 45 record?

Edited by ATLL765

R&R2 is a goal song. It just fits for whatever reason.  Seven Nation Army is a song thousands of brosefs can fist pump a Bud Light and yell "ohhh ohh oh oh ohh ohhh!" to.  It's played at almost every situation in a football or basketball game. 1st down, 3rd down, 0:30 seconds left no timeouts and on and on.  It just doesn't fit as a goal song.  R&R2 is hardly ever heard outside of a post-scoring situation whereas SNA is everywhere all the time.

I think you can tell I'm a lil anti-SNA ;)

I see the same thing when I see the crowd chant's "you suck" to R&R pt2

Baloney. When they didn't have video games and cell phone and the internet to parent their kids, they just used TV. Tech changes, not the people.

And what planet were you on that you were clueless as to what an 8-track was/is or a 45 record?

The tech available now is off-the-charts though.  You've got multiple channels that show NOTHING but children's programming, and you can DVR the shows they like out the wazoo, if so inclined.  And most houses in the era I grew up in had two TVs, tops, and very few kids had a TV in their rooms.  TVs are cheap now, in relation to what they cost back in my day, and much easier to get around.  It's a LOT easier to plunk a kid down in front of a TV for hours on end than it used to be. 

Back in the day, the technology wasn't good enough that parents could almost completely shirk being real parents...some degree of interaction was forced (very long car rides, for example).  Now, in a way, technology almost IS good enough where interaction can effectively (and quite sadly) be minimized.  As long as I buy my kids lots of toys and gadgets, all I have to do is make him a killer playroom or bedroom where he can disappear, enroll him in lots of activities, and my job is done.  I'll get a DVD player for the car, because heaven forbid there might be discussion between me and my children during a long road trip!     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I remember the first time i saw my father's 8 track collection. I laughed. Try having a Madonna "Material Girl" teen look at an 8 track tape for the first time and not understand that's what my dad listened to "are you for real"? no need to take me being "clueless" to something literally instead of figuratively.....

Edited by TheRedStorm

They didn't let the fans pick until after management did. And management had picked a song from a NJ artist.

That just doesn't work. How many recognizable NJ musicians are there? JBJ, Springsteen, some other random bands that half the arena has probably never heard of. It's not enough of a pool of songs to work from.

They picked a song from a New Jersey artist who is a Rangers fan. Is there any more deplorable kind of person? And there are plenty of artists from here, what are you talking about? Im just going to throw this out again, True Believers by the Bouncing Souls would be perfect.

They picked a song from a New Jersey artist who is a Rangers fan. Is there any more deplorable kind of person? And there are plenty of artists from here, what are you talking about? Im just going to throw this out again, True Believers by the Bouncing Souls would be perfect.

There's plenty of artists, I was just saying, when you limit yourself to artists from one state, you're limiting yourself. Would be the same if it was musicians from PA or anywhere that isn't NYC or LA.

I remember the first time i saw my father's 8 track collection. I laughed. Try having a Madonna "Material Girl" teen look at an 8 track tape for the first time and not understand that's what my dad listened to "are you for real"? But, it's nice to know you took me being "clueless" to something literally instead of figuratively.....

I was unaware of the other definition of clueless, because from what I understand, the word means totally lacking knowledge or understanding. You can't change the definition of a word by saying you meant it "figuratively".

It's 100% deep fried horse sh!t to say that kids these days are somehow different. Social standards are different, culture slightly different(not drastically), but people are the same. There were bad parents 10-20-30-50 years ago, there is now. You really think there's more absentee parents now then there was before? I don't buy that. If parents wanted to ignore their kids 50 years ago, they did it and probably did it just fine without the internet.

And if they could manufacture cell phones like they do now, back in 1970, people would have been all over them like white on rice.

If you REALLY think that kids are less caring/socially conscious, more obnoxious, *insert negative statement on young people by an old person here*, or that they are somehow fundamentally different from the person you were at that age, you're in denial. If you plucked a 22 year old you from time and dropped him in the present, you'd not be so baffled that you wouldn't get by. You'd be like oh wow, wtf is an iPad, but you wouldn't be thinking who are these people and why do they act so weird.

58 pages about what song to play for 20 seconds after a goal. Sad that some of you don't care this much about the product for the other 2 1/2 hours. Even worse are the people who threathen to stop buying tickets because of it.

Glad I'm not young and dumb.

I'm young and dumb but I still don't understand what the big deal is with the song either way. It's a song, not the franchise or logo or anything.

They could play the Barney theme song for all I care just as long as it's playing often as that means we're scoring.

There's plenty of artists, I was just saying, when you limit yourself to artists from one state, you're limiting yourself. Would be the same if it was musicians from PA or anywhere that isn't NYC or LA.

Yea, theres a limited pool when you want your traditions to reflect the culture of the place the team plays in. The Devils are supposed to be the proud Jersey team, and that means a lot to a lot of people who are proud of where they come from. No reason for the team to not integrate the states culture as much as possible.

This is so ridiculous. It's just a goal song. The Devils should go back to RRII. It's part of tradition. They politicized a time where fans celebrate. If you can't enjoy when your team scores, then when can you have fun? My biggest issue with sports is that it's become too political. I understand it to a point regarding the chant. But I've heard/seen much worse. Games are where you go cheer your team. There's a much bigger issue with alcohol being served at games and security. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Apparently the Diablos section's going to be monitored and threatened with explusion if any one of them partake in the 'you suck' or other 'vulgar' chants.  Insane...they're starting a war on the fans they can't win, when they don't exactly have a waiting list of other fans dying to buy season tickets.

Apparently the Diablos section's going to be monitored and threatened with explusion if any one of them partake in the 'you suck' or other 'vulgar' chants.  Insane...they're starting a war on the fans they can't win, when they don't exactly have a waiting list of other fans dying to buy season tickets.

Well that's just nonsense.

Wish these new owners weren't such PC worrywarts.  Just let the fans have fun, it's relatively harmless.

For $100 season tickets they better fall in line.

wow. I mean I hate the "you suck" garbage as much as the next guy. They need to pick a song and be done with it. If you suck pops up again than that's that. You have to know when to concede, and Lou/Ownership digging their heels in here is a terrible move. Do you really want to take on the super fanatic section? You can't win that war

Even the Mets know that it's imperative to keep a good relationship with the 7 Line. The Jets rolled out the red carpet to fireman ed before he quit. Major mistake by the Devils. They're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Edited by '7'

wow. I mean I hate the "you suck" garbage as much as the next guy. They need to pick a song and be done with it. If you suck pops up again than that's that. You have to know when to concede, and Lou/Ownership digging their heels in here is a terrible move. Do you really want to take on the super fanatic section? You can't win that war

Even the Mets know that it's imperative to keep a good relationship with the 7 Line.

Is this really accurate?  I mean it started as a grass-roots thing when it was the supporters but to me the Diablos is something else that is propped up and supported by the team now.

Plus calling that section that is a slap in the face of others who are "super fanatics" but just do not wish to stand the entire game or associate with a lot of that crowd, which is geared mostly towards people who in the college age bracket physically, but also who are older but mentally still in college.

:doh1:

I guess anyone who bought the $100 season tickets sold their soul to the Devils...lol

If the Devils told them they can still chant but they have to now pay full price for the tickets, they would run for the hills.

• Like 1

That's probably the best way to put it.  I don't even think it's all that much about the song anymore...it's more about the heavy-handed approach they took, and it's become something to rally around.  VBK obviously had some issues, but at least came off as warm and fuzzy in ways, and as a guy everyday fans could relate to, in that he WAS a fan himself.  The new guys are coming off as humorless corporate stiffs who know nothing about their fanbase.  Their approach almost reeks of a corporate takeover...change everything, 'cause we're in charge now!  The hell with attempting to build any rapport with the fanbase, who's been here a lot longer than they have.

I still don't have a problem with trying to do away with R&R Part 2, or the Devils' reasons behind it, but the way they've gone about it from day one is making them look like incompetent, out-of-touch, stuffed-suit buffoons.  This "us vs. our fans" mentality they seem to have...I don't get it.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

That's probably the best way to put it.  I don't even think it's all that much about the song anymore...it's more about the heavy-handed approach they took, and it's become something to rally around.  VBK obviously had some issues, but at least came off as warm and fuzzy in ways, and as a guy everyday fans could relate to, in that he WAS a fan himself.  The new guys are coming off as humorless corporate stiffs who know nothing about their fanbase.  Their approach almost reeks of a corporate takeover...change everything, 'cause we're in charge now!  The hell with attempting to build any rapport with the fanbase, who's been here a lot longer than they have.

I still don't have a problem with trying to do away with R&R Part 2, or the Devils' reasons behind it, but the way they've gone about it from day one is making them look like incompetent, out-of-touch, stuffed-suit buffoons.  This "us vs. our fans" mentality they seem to have...I don't get it.      

There are those like myself who have enjoyed going to Devils games less and less each year and the #1 reason for that is other Devils fans.  While the old days at CAA was indeed quiet, at least the other fans were classy and respectful and only had issues with Rags or Flyers fans came in.  Now, it seems as though a large segment of the fan base believe that if they pay for a ticket, it gives them license to act like complete douches and drunken idiots.  I also hate this whole "let's turn this into a college rival game atmosphere" with silly, juvenile chants with huge egos and sense of entitlement.

Maybe I sound like an old fart saying this but there are plenty of others in my age range (late 20's to early 30's) who also find going to Devils games becoming more and more irritating because of other Devils fans.  Hell when I buy tickets now, I pay a little more so I do not have to sit near certain sections and to me that is a bit of a shame but it is what it is.

Just the fact that there is a whole segment of fans who cannot let go of a stupid chant and are threatening boycotting the team because of it just shows where a good chunk of this fanbase is mentally.