Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

I also hate this whole "let's turn this into a college rival game atmosphere" with silly, juvenile chants with huge egos and sense of entitlement.

"Sense of entitlement"??? What are you talking about? Only sense of entitlement is within the group of people that think the goal song should change because their delicate ears can't handle some jeering after a goal. Entitlement is one person thinking another group should change because they don't like it.

Just the fact that there is a whole segment of fans who cannot let go of a stupid chant and are threatening boycotting the team because of it just shows where a good chunk of this fanbase is mentally.

I agree.. That's just dumb and I've seen a few people say it, mostly on HFBoards.. They sound like little 12 year old girls that didn't get the cell phone they wanted for Christmas.

Edited by DJ Eco

There are those like myself who have enjoyed going to Devils games less and less each year and the #1 reason for that is other Devils fans.  While the old days at CAA was indeed quiet, at least the other fans were classy and respectful and only had issues with Rags or Flyers fans came in.  Now, it seems as though a large segment of the fan base believe that if they pay for a ticket, it gives them license to act like complete douches and drunken idiots.  I also hate this whole "let's turn this into a college rival game atmosphere" with silly, juvenile chants with huge egos and sense of entitlement.

Maybe I sound like an old fart saying this but there are plenty of others in my age range (late 20's to early 30's) who also find going to Devils games becoming more and more irritating because of other Devils fans.  Hell when I buy tickets now, I pay a little more so I do not have to sit near certain sections and to me that is a bit of a shame but it is what it is.

Just the fact that there is a whole segment of fans who cannot let go of a stupid chant and are threatening boycotting the team because of it just shows where a good chunk of this fanbase is mentally.

Sadly, this has become true in a lot of places.  See Flyers fans who sucker-punch anyone who dares to wear an opposing jersey in their arena...because they think the "Broad Street Bully" thing extends to them somehow.  What used to be some good-fun ribbing goes to the next step far too often.

I'm not into the chants either, not even a little (just not my thing, never was), but at the same time, I think this is a battle the ownership shouldn't have fought so quickly.  Let a cautious, unsure fanbase warm up to you first...though it's clear that these guys are in a much stronger financial position than VBK, fans are still trying to figure out who these guys are...would've been nice if they had built up a little trust first.  And the way they've gone about some things in the early going, they're actually making a fair number of fans pine for VBK.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

"Sense of entitlement"??? What are you talking about? Only sense of entitlement is within the group of people that think the goal song should change because their delicate ears can't handle some jeering after a goal. Entitlement is one person thinking another group should change because they don't like it.

The group of fans on HFboards, here, facebook and twitter who really believe that if they keep submitting R&R pt2 then ownership HAS to bring it back, even after ownership has said multiple times they won't even count those votes and the song isn't coming back ever.  This is the mentality of the group who have rarely (if ever) heard the word "no" in their lives.

That's entitlement.

If they really....truly....and honestly wanted a "classier" fan base, they should stop selling $10 beers at the games....yeah....good luck with that.....but until they do it, any attempt to mute the audience just sounds like a bad WWE storyline playing out in the arena.....I'm glad I chose to spend my money playing ice hockey rather then attending this mess :P

The group of fans on HFboards, here, facebook and twitter who really believe that if they keep submitting R&R pt2 then ownership HAS to bring it back, even after ownership has said multiple times they won't even count those votes and the song isn't coming back ever.  This is the mentality of the group who have rarely (if ever) heard the word "no" in their lives.

That's entitlement.

....sounds more like paying customers airing their gripes to me....one of the downsides of everyone being on the internet these days....it means EVERYONE'S on the internet.....

That's entitlement.

C'mon now, that's a stretch..... It's stubbornness or just being immature. I'd chalk these reactions up to more what Colorado Rockies 1976 is saying, a mistrust of the new ownership, or even more, just a residual effect of all this losing. 

My brother's in his mid-30s and even he took part in the "You suck!" chant over "Seven Nation Army".... It's not a kids vs. adults thing. Most of my section in 119 was saying it, a lot of the arena seemed to be saying it. It's just a battle the new ownership did NOT have to make their top priority first thing in a season, and ill-timed during a losing streak.

Thinking you should be able to say "You suck!" at an arena is not "entitlement", and I've heard that word misused many times.

C'mon now, that's a stretch..... It's stubbornness or just being immature. I'd chalk these reactions up to more what Colorado Rockies 1976 is saying, a mistrust of the new ownership, or even more, just a residual effect of all this losing. 

My brother's in his mid-30s and even he took part in the "You suck!" chant over "Seven Nation Army".... It's not a kids vs. adults thing. Most of my section in 119 was saying it, a lot of the arena seemed to be saying it. It's just a battle the new ownership did NOT have to make their top priority first thing in a season, and ill-timed during a losing streak.

Thinking you should be able to say "You suck!" at an arena is not "entitlement", and I've heard that word misused many times.

Again it is entitlement when certain think the ownership is going to change their stance all because people are whining and threatening to cancel their season tickets over a friggin goal song.  Its basically a temper tantrum from children and man-children.

I think a lot of people who are in the pro you suck crowd really underestimate the number of people who are welcoming this change.  When stuff like this happens, usually the people who are satisfied are generally quiet as they are happy with what they received while naturally the whiners will be louder.

The drunken college fans are annoying, but nowhere near as annoying as the snooty librarian thought police who want everyone to bend to what their sensitivities can handle. 

The "snooty librarian thought police" gave in and are letting the fans pick the next song, just as long as it is not R&R pt 2.  The drunken college fans can't wrap their head around this and are throwing a temper tantrum about it.

Whats the argument about entitlement? entitlement is when a season ticket holder thinks he can do whatever he wants or can bend the rules solely because he is a season ticket holder.

Sorry, just throwing some worker rage in there ;)

lol I bet you have great stories from the arena

Again it is entitlement when certain think the ownership is going to change their stance all because people are whining and threatening to cancel their season tickets over a friggin goal song. Its basically a temper tantrum from children and man-children.

I think a lot of people who are in the pro you suck crowd really underestimate the number of people who are welcoming this change. When stuff like this happens, usually the people who are satisfied are generally quiet as they are happy with what they received while naturally the whiners will be louder.

Because there was plenty of silence at the arena when 95% of the crowd booed on Opening Night, right?

I think you're completely misjudging things here. The VAST majority of fans don't like the PR police actions. Even those of us like me and CR1976 who would be inclined to be neutral/understanding think the Devils are being ridiculously heavy handed with their approach.

And there's plenty of 'entitlement' on both sides of this debate.

Again it is entitlement when certain think the ownership is going to change their stance all because people are whining and threatening to cancel their season tickets over a friggin goal song.  Its basically a temper tantrum from children and man-children.

Okay, here's an analogy, and let me get this straight.

Let's say you're one of the 60% of beer drinkers at The Rock that spends a ton of money every year on Bud Light and Coors Light. I personally am not, I do the IPA and Bass/Stella stands usually, I hate Bud Light and Coors Light. So, hypothetically, imagine the new management comes in and one of the first things they do is take out Bud Light and Coors Light, so you're forced to buy $10 beers like Landshark or Goose Island IPA, a certain more refined "better" (in my opinion, and people that drink that stuff) taste that you honestly may not give a sh!t about.

So, the new management gets rid of the beer you wanted to drink and you decide to no longer spend money on concessions at The Rock until they bring it back. You're a paying customer right? And you disagree with what they've done to your arena experience, even though it's something as petty as prejudging or dictating your taste in beer.

Do you think this person is (buzzword) "entitled"?

Because there was plenty of silence at the arena when 95% of the crowd booed on Opening Night, right?

I think you're completely misjudging things here. The VAST majority of fans don't like the PR police actions. Even those of us like me and CR1976 who would be inclined to be neutral/understanding think the Devils are being ridiculously heavy handed with their approach.

And there's plenty of 'entitlement' on both sides of this debate.

If 95% of the arena booed on opening night it certainly didn't come across on TV.  I have heard varying estimates about that too so it depends on who you ask.

Okay, here's an analogy, and let me get this straight.

Let's say you're one of the 60% of beer drinkers at The Rock that spends a ton of money every year on Bud Light and Coors Light. I personally am not, I do the IPA and Bass/Stella stands usually, I hate Bud Light and Coors Light. So, hypothetically, imagine the new management comes in and one of the first things they do is take out Bud Light and Coors Light, so you're forced to buy $10 beers like Landshark or Goose Island IPA, a certain more refined "better" (in my opinion, and people that drink that stuff) taste that you honestly may not give a sh!t about.

So, the new management gets rid of the beer you wanted to drink and you decide to no longer spend money on concessions at The Rock until they bring it back. You're a paying customer right? And you disagree with what they've done to your arena experience, even though it's something as petty as prejudging or dictating your taste in beer.

Do you think this person is (buzzword) "entitled"?

Yes.  Beer, like the goal song, is such a small part of the game-day experience (at least to me) that I wouldn't give a sh!t.

Also in real life I would be happy if they got rid of Coors Light and Bud.  If it was a beer that I really liked, then I would shrug my shoulders and just not drink beer.  I do not need beer or a goal song to "enhance" my experience at the game (which is really what I paid to watch).

lol I bet you have great stories from the arena

Hah, you know it. Even for the Rangers game. Guy had duplicate tickets in section 20. His argument was that he was a season ticket holder. And here's the kicker, he was a STH in section 7!

If 95% of the arena booed on opening night it certainly didn't come across on TV.  I have heard varying estimates about that too so it depends on who you ask.

Are you talking about during the new goal song? I was sitting around row 10 in section 20 and could hear the boo's over the cheers from the song.

Yes.  Beer, like the goal song, is such a small part of the game-day experience (at least to me) that I wouldn't give a sh!t.

Also in real life I would be happy if they got rid of Coors Light and Bud.  If it was a beer that I really liked, then I would shrug my shoulders and just not drink beer.  I do not need beer or a goal song to "enhance" my experience at the game (which is really what I paid to watch).

Okay well at least you're consistent! haha.. I don't know, I just disagree, but in the end this one just comes down to semantics..

Not unless you're my brother. He's a diehard but doesn't like going to games if he doesn't have enough money for beer. Even when the ticket is free. Alcoholics are alcoholics.

If 95% of the arena booed on opening night it certainly didn't come across on TV. I have heard varying estimates about that too so it depends on who you ask.

Crowd noise never comes across well on MSG. I was there, the boos were loud. To the point where the Devils cranked up the music volume attempting in vein to drown out the booing.

Not unless you're my brother. He's a diehard but doesn't like going to games if he doesn't have enough money for beer. Even when the ticket is free. Alcoholics are alcoholics.

Indeed.  My gf works as an addictions counselor in a hospital and she sees it all from crackheads, cokeheads, alcoholics, sexaholics, meth addicts, etc...  These people cannot even bother with going anyplace unless alcohol is nearby and will describe themselves as being in physical pain if they cannot get a drink within a certain period of time.

Addictions are killer.

Indeed.  My gf works as an addictions counselor in a hospital and she sees it all from crackheads, cokeheads, alcoholics, sexaholics, meth addicts, etc...  These people cannot even bother with going anyplace unless alcohol is nearby and will describe themselves as being in physical pain if they cannot get a drink within a certain period of time.

Addictions are killer.

I guess I have some issues then.  I feel like parties suck when it is my turn to be a DD. 

As far as not having beer at an arena, my solution would be to pregame it in the parking lot.

I guess I have some issues then.  I feel like parties suck when it is my turn to be a DD. 

As far as not having beer at an arena, my solution would be to pregame it in the parking lot.

Or you could just not drink alcohol at all.  I have done it many times and doesn't lessen the enjoyment of the game.

I guess I have some issues then. I feel like parties suck when it is my turn to be a DD.

Ive been the dd plenty of times and still have the same amount of fun at parties.

Edited by bobilly45

Is this really accurate? I mean it started as a grass-roots thing when it was the supporters but to me the Diablos is something else that is propped up and supported by the team now.

Plus calling that section that is a slap in the face of others who are "super fanatics" but just do not wish to stand the entire game or associate with a lot of that crowd, which is geared mostly towards people who in the college age bracket physically, but also who are older but mentally still in college.

If the Devils told them they can still chant but they have to now pay full price for the tickets, they would run for the hills.

I do fully agree the Devils took the section and changed it into something that it shouldn't be. They missed their mark by not listening to me on how to properly expand the section. I wanted them to keep a few rows for partial plans and individual game tickets so there would be new faces in the section and this would have helped it grow.

Oh well.