Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

I have no idea who (if anyone) voted for that. I've never even heard of the artist and I write for a music site. I thought Devils fans were pimping out FOB, My Chemical Romance and Gaslight Anthem. I was expecting one of those three tonight. Not some random ass "Monster Truck" song. (LOLWHO)

It sounded like a bunch of noise tonight. Random ass noise and I have no idea how anyone could say that was a good goal horn. It deserved the Bon Jovi response that it got tonight because I think managment is just pulling our chain and picking their own songs with a winner already in mind.

And this is a problem.  There's a lot of mistrust right now, as far as these new owners go.  They may have deep pockets, but they're coming off as cold, corporate, incompetent stereotypes, who don't seem to have much of a concept with how to deal with their fanbase.  I really think they would've been better served sitting back for a year, watching 41 home games (and hopefully some additional home playoff games), then implementing attempts at changing the atmosphere more subtlely and slowly. 

I don't know whose idea this was, but for some reason, they've decided to let go with both barrels, with the fanbase directly in the crosshairs.  And what makes is a bit scary is that the guys who think declaring war on their fanbase is good idea don't seem to have any idea of common-sense timing, or how to implement new policies.  The on-ice product is off to a slow start, and this coming off last year's finish has several fans leery enough as it is...let's face it, it's not like the Garden, where Ranger fans show up no matter how bad the team is.  This team is not giving much of the "I'm not doing anything tonight, maybe I'll go to the Pru Center and watch the Devils" crowd much motivation to go spend money.  So NOW it's time to crack down on "you suck" and everything else, and make fans feel like they're sitting in the principal's office?  And not only do they take away R&R Part 2, but they do it in a way that clearly had no regard for the fans?  Sure, they tried to follow up their colossal fvck-up with putting on the appearance of doing it "the right way", with a fan poll for a new goal song, but these two potential replacements I've heard so far reek of yet more out-of-touch corporate dweebs picking songs that THEY think will work, and trying to sell it off as "Hey, you fans picked these, not our fault!" 

As far as "you suck" and R&R Part 2 go, NJDevs4978 pretty much summed me up perfectly, in that I was pretty neutral.  I didn't parttake in "you suck" because it wasn't my thing.  I loved R&R Part 2, but would be OK with a change if it made sense.  But I think it's no longer about either "you suck" or R&R Part 2.  It's about an ownership that seems to be 100% clueless when it comes to dealing with "the little people" (because that's how they seem to regard their fanbase so far)...it's almost like they feel unmasked contempt towards them.  I wish I knew what it was exactly are they trying to accomplish.  Blow out the current fanbase and replace it with people who never swear and sip their beers? 

Sure, in a perfect world, like in, say, Fantasyland, fans would never get into fights with each other, would never use bad language in front of children, would know how much alcohol they could consume before the a$$hole switch flicks, etc.  But it's not very realistic...there will always be fans who take things too far.  And right now it doesn't seem like the atmosphere at the Rock is getting any better...granted, it's only been three home games, but I also think NJDevs4978 was spot-on when he said ownership is fighting a war which it's probably not going to win, especially since they completely bypassed any sense of diplomacy in declaring it.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think fight song by Marilyn Manson would be quite cool, but there is no way they go for that.

One step Beyond by Madness is pretty cool, but thats got a very English Football stadium feel about it, not sure sure it would translate well to Hockey, although Chelsea Dagger seems to have.

Chelsea Fans:

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Personally, I always wished that the Devils would play some tunes by Jersey-based Thrash metal veterans Overkill. They have a bunch of songs that would be perfect for certain in-game situations, such as "Powersurge" (if the Devs are making a great comeback), "Union We Stand" (if the Devs are fighting for their lives in the playoffs, such as going into a Game 7 or at the end of any game where the outcome is in doubt), "Wrecking Crew" (either before any game or during the game if the Devs are putting a beatdown on someone, ie. the Rangers or Flyers), or "Who Tends the Fire" (as they take the ice or actually at any stoppage of play).

An added bonus: their lead singer is an avid Devils fan.

I'd love to see the team take the ice to the beginning of this song):

Yeah, I'm on old metalhead, so sue me, haha.

I'm for it! I saw Bobby Blitz at a game only once. I've seen the entire God Forbid band at a game too.

I'm for it! I saw Bobby Blitz at a game only once. I've seen the entire God Forbid band at a game too.

Did Byron even fit into a seat?? i saw those guys live back in 2005 and the guy was huge!

Good band, shame that the whole NWOAHM scene got stagnant pretty quickly.

Did Byron even fit into a seat?? i saw those guys live back in 2005 and the guy was huge!

Good band, shame that the whole NWOAHM scene got stagnant pretty quickly.

He's not really that big anymore. I didn't even noticed them at first. I noticed Doc while I had him waiting for play to stop and then he said the whole band was there. I told him I used to see them at the Birch Hill all the time (been closed for almost 10 years or something) and he just said wow and laughed

I saw Overkill at Best Buy Theater in NYC two years ago in the middle of the Devils-Rangers playoff series. Check out the whole first minute of this video from that show where Blitz tells the crowd he's a Devils fan and what he thinks of the Rangers fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFrj5g87_kI

The Devils organization giving the fans the illusion of control. We won't be picking sh!t, its getting picked for us.

No kidding.

This is one of the reasons why I think the fans who are thinking about cancelling ticket plans or boycotting games have a very vaild point. Who wants to go to a hockey game and be policed the moment they walk in the door. Told what to and what not to say and have to worry about saying the wrong thing. You are suppose to have FUN at a hockey game. The atmosphere is as equal in my opinion as the game itself. The atmosphere adds to the excitement of the action of the game. You are paying thousands of dollars to have these plans and in some cases hundreds and good hard money in general for single games. Who wants to go to each game with an atmosphere like last night? That wasn't a fun atmosphere. Sports are supposed to be a release from real life. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to sit down in my seat and have the feeling that I'm in the principal's office.

If we are a basement team this year and fans have to put up with managements antics all year then I wouldn't be shocked at all if attendance suffers.

And this is a problem. There's a lot of mistrust right now, as far as these new owners go. They may have deep pockets, but they're coming off as cold, corporate, incompetent stereotypes, who don't seem to have much of a concept with how to deal with their fanbase. I really think they would've been better served sitting back for a year, watching 41 home games (and hopefully some additional home playoff games), then implementing attempts at changing the atmosphere more subtlely and slowly.

I don't know whose idea this was, but for some reason, they've decided to let go with both barrels, with the fanbase directly in the crosshairs. And what makes is a bit scary is that the guys who think declaring war on their fanbase is good idea don't seem to have any idea of common-sense timing, or how to implement new policies. The on-ice product is off to a slow start, and this coming off last year's finish has several fans leery enough as it is...let's face it, it's not like the Garden, where Ranger fans show up no matter how bad the team is. This team is not giving much of the "I'm not doing anything tonight, maybe I'll go to the Pru Center and watch the Devils" crowd much motivation to go spend money. So NOW it's time to crack down on "you suck" and everything else, and make fans feel like they're sitting in the principal's office? And not only do they take away R&R Part 2, but they do it in a way that clearly had no regard for the fans? Sure, they tried to follow up their colossal fvck-up with putting on the appearance of doing it "the right way", with a fan poll for a new goal song, but these two potential replacements I've heard so far reek of yet more out-of-touch corporate dweebs picking songs that THEY think will work, and trying to sell it off as "Hey, you fans picked these, not our fault!"

As far as "you suck" and R&R Part 2 go, NJDevs4978 pretty much summed me up perfectly, in that I was pretty neutral. I didn't parttake in "you suck" because it wasn't my thing. I loved R&R Part 2, but would be OK with a change if it made sense. But I think it's no longer about either "you suck" or R&R Part 2. It's about an ownership that seems to be 100% clueless when it comes to dealing with "the little people" (because that's how they seem to regard their fanbase so far)...it's almost like they feel unmasked contempt towards them. I wish I knew what it was exactly are they trying to accomplish. Blow out the current fanbase and replace it with people who never swear and sip their beers?

Sure, in a perfect world, like in, say, Fantasyland, fans would never get into fights with each other, would never use bad language in front of children, would know how much alcohol they could consume before the a$$hole switch flicks, etc. But it's not very realistic...there will always be fans who take things too far. And right now it doesn't seem like the atmosphere at the Rock is getting any better...granted, it's only been three home games, but I also think NJDevs4978 was spot-on when he said ownership is fighting a war which it's probably not going to win, especially since they completely bypassed any sense of diplomacy in declaring it.

Good post.

The atmosphere looked dreadful on tv. To go from finally packing home games with loud crowds, to this...and it's only October. Can JVB slap some sense into the Philly and msg suits?

No kidding.

This is one of the reasons why I think the fans who are thinking about cancelling ticket plans or boycotting games have a very vaild point. Who wants to go to a hockey game and be policed the moment they walk in the door. Told what to and what not to say and have to worry about saying the wrong thing. You are suppose to have FUN at a hockey game. The atmosphere is as equal in my opinion as the game itself. The atmosphere adds to the excitement of the action of the game. You are paying thousands of dollars to have these plans and in some cases hundreds and good hard money in general for single games. Who wants to go to each game with an atmosphere like last night? That wasn't a fun atmosphere. Sports are supposed to be a release from real life. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to sit down in my seat and have the feeling that I'm in the principal's office.

If we are a basement team this year and fans have to put up with managements antics all year then I wouldn't be shocked at all if attendance suffers.

The stiff atmosphere had more to do in the fact that it was October against a team, while somewhat high-profile, we don't have a rivalry with, only see at the Rock at most once a year and on a weekday night.  Also add that the Devils do not have a high-profile player in his prime playing with them anymore and the team hasn't been lighting their opponents up this season. Not only that but the Devils have seemed to cut down on the free or discounted ticket giveaways so that probably cut about another 1,000 people from going.

I think the new management is still feeling things out as they will soon learn a one-size approach to catering to crowds is not the best way.  However, they do in fact have the right to tell you how to behave the minute you walk in as it is indeed THEIR building.

the bad atmosphere wasn't because of the YOU SUCK or lack of it. There was nobody there at all last night. Even the upper deck was half empty. There were still doofuses trying to put in you suck into the new song (and embarrassing themselves more than usual) but the bad atmosphere wasn't because of the lack of R&R pt 2 as much as you'd like it to be because of that. It's because the team stinks and nobody's excited and there was nobody there

the bad atmosphere wasn't because of the YOU SUCK or lack of it. There was nobody there at all last night. Even the upper deck was half empty. There were still doofuses trying to put in you suck into the new song (and embarrassing themselves more than usual) but the bad atmosphere wasn't because of the lack of R&R pt 2 as much as you'd like it to be because of that. It's because the team stinks and nobody's excited and there was nobody there

Bingo.

When I was walking out of the arena last night, I heard a couple guys saying to each other it is because of R&R pt 2 not being played is why they lost at home.  Their reason was that the song "intimidates" the other team.

I turned around to see if they were joking but by the looks on their faces they were dead serious.

• Like 1

Our team loses Kovalchuk, Parise, and Clarkson in a matter of one season. The "bandwagon effect" from 2012 has officially worn off, BIG TIME. The average-Joe bandwagon hockey fan doesn't even know half the roster anymore, their jerseys are outdated, etc...

And chronic losing definitely doesn't help.

Our team loses Kovalchuk, Parise, and Clarkson in a matter of one season. The "bandwagon effect" from 2012 has officially worn off, BIG TIME. The average-Joe bandwagon hockey fan doesn't even know half the roster anymore, their jerseys are outdated, etc...

And chronic losing definitely doesn't help.

People have complained about this?

Bingo.

When I was walking out of the arena last night, I heard a couple guys saying to each other it is because of R&R pt 2 not being played is why they lost at home.  Their reason was that the song "intimidates" the other team.

I turned around to see if they were joking but by the looks on their faces they were dead serious.

There's no way to prove him wrong just as much as there's no way to prove him right.

You don't think hearing an arena chant "YOU SUCK!" in unison gets in the head of a goalie or a coach or a player, even just a little bit?

It was loud and clear during the Devils-Flyers preseason game and Steve Mason's play went from bad to worse to worst pretty quickly. It was embarrassing. Just saying...

No, the jerseys are a small part of it. I'm just saying the average bandwagon fan that we picked up along the 2011-2012 run doesn't really have any interest or knowledge of the new roster. Don't underestimate the amount of teen and young adult girls who thought Parise, Kovalchuk, and Clarkson were the heart throbs of the league. I know it sounds dumb, but that's extra jerseys sold and butts in the seats. It's all these obviously little trivial things that are compounding to affect our attendance negatively. And losing definitely doesn't help.

Edited by DJ Eco

The stiff atmosphere had more to do in the fact that it was October against a team, while somewhat high-profile, we don't have a rivalry with, only see at the Rock at most once a year and on a weekday night.  Also add that the Devils do not have a high-profile player in his prime playing with them anymore and the team hasn't been lighting their opponents up this season. Not only that but the Devils have seemed to cut down on the free or discounted ticket giveaways so that probably cut about another 1,000 people from going.

I think the new management is still feeling things out as they will soon learn a one-size approach to catering to crowds is not the best way.  However, they do in fact have the right to tell you how to behave the minute you walk in as it is indeed THEIR building.

Agree on the bolded, but they have gone about it all wrong from the very moment someone decided the atmosphete needed to change.  There's a divide growing that was never there before, and these guys should've at least recognized that the previous owner, for all of his faults, had the "true Devils fan" side to his personality that made him a guy fans could relate to.  And even though John McMullen could be pretty cold (as can Lou), McMullen had Jersey ties. 

Right now you've got a bit of a perfect storm brewing, with the team not playing well for roughly a half-season's worth of games, one of the remaining long-time faces of the franchise in Brodeur looking like he's not going to play much in the foreseeable future (and who may not play well when he does get to play...clearly this is not easy for Devils fans to accept), a bunch of new names that fans are still warming up to, some current names that aren't really producing (Henrique and Zajac)...and on top of all of that, now we've got an ownership group who seems to want to put their stamp on fan behavior, with no real plan on how to do it. 

I fully believe the franchise WILL get through all of this, but I don't think ownership is making it any easier.  

Believe it or not, I actually heard the guy behind me saying they need to modernize the jerseys.  At least his buddy disagreed with him.

You don't think hearing an arena chant "YOU SUCK!" in unison gets in the head of a goalie or a coach or a player, even just a little bit?

It was loud and clear during the Devils-Flyers preseason game and Steve Mason's play went from bad to worse to worst pretty quickly. It was embarrassing. Just saying...

Honestly, I really don't think so.  These guys are pros, many of them probably heard worse chanted towards them at away arenas before they reached the NHL.

Believe it or not, I actually heard the guy behind me saying they need to modernize the jerseys.  At least his buddy disagreed with him.

Honestly, I really don't think so.  These guys are pros, many of them probably heard worse chanted towards them at away arenas before they reached the NHL.

Sadly, this is something I can see this ownership group doing within the next three seasons, I really can.  A third jersey (that's not an X-mas one), at the very least.

Sadly, this is something I can see this ownership group doing within the next three seasons, I really can. A third jersey (that's not an X-mas one), at the very least.

Agree on this being a real possibility. With Lou now gone from the business side of things, this can now go on without really much to say from Lou

Lou has been really against third jerseys for years. Hell just to bring back the Christmas ones took JVB to really force it through Lou as Lou has said in the past at jerseys shows he doesn't like the old colors because it represents the "old losing devils." I think Lou gave in as it wasn't really a huge step in a different direction at all and we are far enough removed from the switch in 92 that its basically a distant memory now. However I can see Lou possibly drawing a line with the ownership and new CEO if a completely different jersey is force upon his team and we could see some behind the scenes fireworks going on.

Sadly, this is something I can see this ownership group doing within the next three seasons, I really can.  A third jersey (that's not an X-mas one), at the very least.

Our jerseys are among the best non original six jerseys in the league. Doesn't need "modernizing" at all. I don't want to see the Devils becoming "that team" that has a different jersey scheme every five years.

Edited by TheMazz

Our jerseys are among the best non original six jerseys in the league. Doesn't need "modernizing" at all. I don't want to see the Devils becoming "that team" that has a different jersey scheme every five years.

Me neither, and I wouldn't touch the current ones, but I am starting to get the gut feeling that this ownership truly wants to make the Devils THEIR own. 

To go from finally packing home games with loud crowds, to this...and it's only October

Exactly. We fought for years and years, withstood decades of an awful location and ownership unwilling to do anything to raise the exposure of this team in the community and get people in the building, we FINALLY broke through. The place was packed every night for a pretty terrible team. And we were seeing a real transition. I was never prouder to be a Devils fan when I saw a sold out place absolutely rocking for weekday games against not so high profile opppsition. It took 30 years to realize, and it took a summer and three games for it to come crashing down.

And with the culture of our crowd, all of the constant, organic chants that echoed through the building from the drop of the puck until the end of the third, theres not a better building in hockey when its full.

Edited by thecoffeecake

Me neither, and I wouldn't touch the current ones, but I am starting to get the gut feeling that this ownership truly wants to make the Devils THEIR own. 

I shudder to think what management wants to make the Devils. Ugh. This team needs/needed a rich version of Vanderbeek. Not this.

Edited by TheMazz