Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

Agree on this being a real possibility. With Lou now gone from the business side of things, this can now go on without really much to say from Lou

Lou has been really against third jerseys for years. Hell just to bring back the Christmas ones took JVB to really force it through Lou as Lou has said in the past at jerseys shows he doesn't like the old colors because it represents the "old losing devils." I think Lou gave in as it wasn't really a huge step in a different direction at all and we are far enough removed from the switch in 92 that its basically a distant memory now. However I can see Lou possibly drawing a line with the ownership and new CEO if a completely different jersey is force upon his team and we could see some behind the scenes fireworks going on.

There is nothing I can imagine that could be worse than if they ever changed the jerseys. 3rd jersey's SUCK unless they're actual jersey's from the past. Even then it's eh.

There is nothing I can imagine that could be worse than if they ever changed the jerseys. 3rd jersey's SUCK unless they're actual jersey's from the past. Even then it's eh.

The worst part is due with the NHL's contract with Reebok, any design changes would most definitely have and would require input from Reebok "designers."  I shudder at even thinking what that brain trust would come up with.

I shudder to think what management wants to make the Devils. Ugh. This team needs/needed a rich version of Vanderbeek. Not this.

But it's better to be in bankruptcy and league controlled rather then get your way with a goal song, a juvenile chant and a bunch of imaginary thoughts and fears about things that aren't even feasible right now like uniforms. OK!  :thumbsup:

But it's better to be in bankruptcy and league controlled rather then get your way with a goal song, a juvenile chant and a bunch of imaginary thoughts and fears about things that aren't even feasible right now like uniforms. OK!  :thumbsup:

This is the way I see it for the most part.  I mean I'd rather have some stiff suits run the team than a guy who while as nice as he is, can barely hold on to the team and is nickel and diming everything.

Hey if you rather attendence be like it was last night and have a completely dead atmosphere because you are worried over a goal song there you go, you saw the results. I never said I wanted Vanderbeek back. I said for a rich owner with deep pockets that is actually a fan of the team and cares about the fanbase. These guys come off as way too corperatey.

Like I said. Those who are willing to sh!t-can their ticket plans over the goal song are completely vaild in their reasoning. The atmosphere of a building is just as important as the on-ice product and right now both are complete sh!t.

Edited by TheMazz

Unfortunately, everything CR1976 says is pretty dead on. They want this to be THEIR team with THEIR idea of fans, and that idea doesn't seem to involve the hardcore fans who appreciate the tradition of the franchise and team (and no, I'm not referring to 'you suck' when I say tradition). I mean this is a team that oozed hard work and discipline on the ice and was the antithesis of the flashy Rangers with their army of uninterested suits in the lower bowel. Sadly, this seems to be the crowd that these new guys are primarily going for. To take away an admittedly controversial but mostly enjoyed (or ignored) chant, and then to go after the people who try to make noise and get the crowd involved and threaten to take their tickets, it just smacks of corporate take over.

Within the next year, Lou will leave. He won't watch them tearing down what he built. They will have their 3rd jerseys, and maybe even 'update' the regular ones for their 'brand'. It's about a lot more than the goal song.

There is nothing I can imagine that could be worse than if they ever changed the jerseys.

Completely agree. I had a nightmare once that they changed the logo. A literal nightmare. If they ever changed anything, i might actually throw up. The thing is, Lou is the one thats always been very stern about keeping the 2 traditional jerseys and leaving them alone. I think if he tells ownership that its simply how things are here, and they will face serious negative fan reaction if they ever do that, theyll probably listen. Theyre getting a first hand account of how Devils fans value their traditions with this goal song fiasco, im sure they could bet this is a minor reaction compared to what they would face if they touched the jerseys.

Hey if you rather attendence be like it was last night and have a completely dead atmosphere because you are worried over a goal song there you go, you saw the results. I never said I wanted Vanderbeek back. I said for a rich owner with deep pockets that is actually a fan of the team and cares about the fanbase. These guys come off as way too corperatey.

Like I said. Those who are willing to sh!t-can their ticket plans over the goal song are completely vaild in their reasoning. The atmosphere of a building is just as important as the on-ice product and right now both are complete sh!t.

I really don't know how you can blame last nigh's atmosphere and attendance on the stupid goal song?  Are you serious?

Again the Devils are bottom 5 in the league, lost 2 star players along with 1 fan favorite in the span of 1.5 years, playing a team that the Devils see at most once a season on a weeknight in October.  That's the reason why it is so dead, not some dumb goal song.

For years Devils fans have defended their defensive style of play which lead to many boring games but left us with many wins and cups against dumb Rags fans.  Many Devils fans then argued the one-ice product was more important than having an atmosphere that includes a packed house.  Now it is the reverse or just as important all of the sudden because they changed the goal song?  Can't have it both ways.

Edited by DevsMan84

If you're even trying to insinuate that the goal song has anything to do with attendance, you're more far gone then i gave you credit for.

The attendance is down for at least 5 reasons (all previously mentioned) before the goal song/chant/whatever is even a rational thought. 

Harris and Blitzer are what this organization needs to survive. Get used to it, grow up or go cheer for the Rangers. 

I really don't know how you can blame last nigh's atmosphere and attendance on the stupid goal song?  Are you serious?

Again the Devils are bottom 5 in the league, lost 2 star players along with 1 fan favorite in the span of 1.5 years, playing a team that the Devils see at most once a season on a weeknight in October.  That's the reason why it is so dead, not some dumb goal song.

Again. It's because of bad play and bad atmosphere in the building. Give it time and attendence will either be stagnant or dip a little bit more. The team to be fair is in a terrible division so they can always slowly pull things together. Especally with the Hurricanes (who are in 2nd place) and Cam Ward being out of action for some time.

No one wants to go to a hockey game or any sporting event really and be told how to act on that level. There should be a general set of guidelines so it isn't anarchy but it shouldn't be treated like a preschool. That's common sense.

Completely agree. I had a nightmare once that they changed the logo. A literal nightmare. If they ever changed anything, i might actually throw up. The thing is, Lou is the one thats always been very stern about keeping the 2 traditional jerseys and leaving them alone. I think if he tells ownership that its simply how things are here, and they will face serious negative fan reaction if they ever do that, theyll probably listen. Theyre getting a first hand account of how Devils fans value their traditions with this goal song fiasco, im sure they could bet this is a minor reaction compared to what they would face if they touched the jerseys.

There have been many fans who would go out and buy a new design in a heartbeat.  Look at how many people buy those Black Ice jerseys (both official and knockoffs).

If you're even trying to insinuate that the goal song has anything to do with attendance, you're more far gone then i gave you credit for.

The attendance is down for at least 5 reasons (all previously mentioned) before the goal song/chant/whatever is even a rational thought. 

Harris and Blitzer are what this organization needs to survive. Get used to it, grow up or go cheer for the Rangers. 

MSG is more of a morgue then the Rock is. Give that time as well as we'll be right along there. Sorry. Last night was pathetic on all fronts.

Edited by TheMazz

Again. It's because of bad play and bad atmosphere in the building. Give it time and attendence will either be stagnant or dip a little bit more. The team to be fair is in a terrible division so they can always slowly pull things together. Especally with the Hurricanes (who are in 2nd place) and Cam Ward being out of action for some time.

No one wants to go to a hockey game or any sporting event really and be told how to act on that level. There should be a general set of guidelines so it isn't anarchy but it shouldn't be treated like a preschool. That's common sense.

Devils played in 2000 against Florida to a laughably small crowd given that it was the playoffs.  Yet we still won and we won a lot.  Would you stay home back then because of the bad "atmosphere?"

Last night was the atmosphere Devils fans played in for October games for pretty much every season except the last 2.  Why is it such a huge deal all of the sudden?

Answer:  It's because people can't get over the goal song.

Devils played in 2000 against Florida to a laughably small crowd given that it was the playoffs.  Yet we still won and we won a lot.  Would you stay home back then because of the bad "atmosphere?"

Last night was the atmosphere Devils fans played in for October games for pretty much every season except the last 2.  Why is it such a huge deal all of the sudden?

Answer:  It's because people can't get over the goal song.

And last night reminded me a lot of CAA minus the winning. Music that is 2-3 decades old and a very quiet arena with hardly any energy from the fans.

No, stop it. Please, i am asking nicely. Even if your theory is even remotely passable then those people i do not consider fans whatsoever.

"Hey, the team sucks, but instead of going to support them even through the bad i'm staying home because some big bad man in a suit told me i can't chant you suck and took my goal song away. But, he can't tell me what to do i'll show him. Besides, I paid my money it's my personal living room!" 

No one should have to tell you how to act. There is a general set of guidelines, go read the Prudential Center Code of Conduct. Hell, just read the state law on public codes of conduct if it's too hard to grasp. Again, when you feel you can walk into an arena and yell "you suck" or any F-bombs, walk into your local mall tonight and yell "you suck" and "F-you" at the first person wearing a shirt of a team you don't like. 

Edited by TheRedStorm

No, stop it. Please, i am asking nicely. Even if your theory is even remotely passable then those people i do not consider fans whatsoever.

"Hey, the team sucks, but instead of going to support them even through the bad i'm staying home because some big bad man in a suit told me i can't chant you suck and took my goal song away. But, he can't tell me what to do i'll show him. Besides, I paid my money it's my personal living room!" 

No one should have to tell you how to act. There is a general set of guidelines, go read the Prudential Center Code of Conduct. Hell, just read the state law on public codes of conduct if it's too hard to grasp. Again, when you feel you can walk into an arena and yell "you suck" or any F-bombs, walk into your local mall tonight and yell "you suck" and "F-you" at the first person wearing a shirt of a team you don't like. 

Because walking into the mall and booing random strangers is the exact same senario as walking into a sporting event and booing opposing teams and players from said opposing teams.

Whatever you say lady.

Edited by TheMazz

Because walking into the mall and booing random strangers is the exact same senario as walking into a sporting event and booing opposing teams and players from said opposing teams.

Whatever you say lady.

some people are down right dramatic..

Whatever you say lady.

It's about public behavior. You seem to think people should do whatever they want and then try to find some middle ground. It's black or it's white. If you can't go to a game, support your team in a capacity without acting like a juvenile then stay home. I'll respect that, but dont go around and act like spoiled children and man-children because you were *GASP* told what to do in a public place by the OWNERS of the place you were at! Amazing how sports fans have packed arenas and stadiums for a hundred years without chanting "you suck/swallow" and listening to a goal song. How did they ever survive?

Edited by TheRedStorm

You still do not get it and quite frankly you never will. It's about public behavior. You seem to think people should do whatever they want and then try to find some middle ground. If you can't go to a game, support your team in a capacity without acting like a juvenile then stay home. Amazing how sports fans have packed arenas and stadiums for a hundred years without chanting "you suck/swallow" and listening to a goal song. How did they ever survive?

If you call what we've seen the past few games as "middle ground" then :giggle:

Unfortunately, everything CR1976 says is pretty dead on. They want this to be THEIR team with THEIR idea of fans, and that idea doesn't seem to involve the hardcore fans who appreciate the tradition of the franchise and team (and no, I'm not referring to 'you suck' when I say tradition). I mean this is a team that oozed hard work and discipline on the ice and was the antithesis of the flashy Rangers with their army of uninterested suits in the lower bowel. Sadly, this seems to be the crowd that these new guys are primarily going for. To take away an admittedly controversial but mostly enjoyed (or ignored) chant, and then to go after the people who try to make noise and get the crowd involved and threaten to take their tickets, it just smacks of corporate take over.

Within the next year, Lou will leave. He won't watch them tearing down what he built. They will have their 3rd jerseys, and maybe even 'update' the regular ones for their 'brand'. It's about a lot more than the goal song.

Funny DD56, but the bolded...that's how this is feeling to me more and more...like a (hostile) corporate takeover.  And they're not as concerned with fixing or improving aspects of the franchise, or taking their time to accurately assess what the franchise currently is, as they are with making it their own brand...seemingly for the sake of making it their own brand.  And I think their attitude is "If you don't like it, too damned bad, this is how it's going to be."

All this being said, it is what it is.  Clearly the fan-who-grew-up-to-buy-the-team was in over his head financially.  This group is the one that stepped up to buy the team, and as we are getting to know them, we're seeing pros and cons.  The overwhelming pros are that these guys have money (lots of it), and from all appearances will be keeping the team in NJ.  And to be fair, those are MAJOR positives.  We're seeing the cons (and like you, I don't see sacking R&R Part 2 or trying to rid the Rock of "you suck" chants as part of that category).  I can't say for sure what the new owners' vision for the Devils is exactly, but I do think the one you're coming up with is probably in the ballpark.  I think multiple someones now with the Deivls decided they wanted to try to appeal to a different clientele, and they're taking the first steps in trying to make that happen. 

If the Devils are still successful, and the owners are putting money into the on-ice product, and the team is still in NJ and still called the Devils, we'll learn to live with "The New Order".  I'm neutral on most of the other stuff (I don't swill much beer at games (too damned expensive), I'm not a "you suck" participant, I try my best not to curse but sometimes one slips out, and if other fanbases can live without R&R Part 2, so can I).                   

I do wonder if any of you against "you suck" have ever attended an NFL game?  NBA game?  Nascar event?  Soccer match?  I don't care what sport (and I use that term loosely regarding Nascar) you follow, but sporting events typically embrace and promote the wild atmosphere.  People sometimes overstep their boundaries, but this is a freakin hockey game, not a tennis match.  I don't want people sitting in their seats quietly, I want people screaming, shouting and getting wild supporting the team.  And if some people do that in the form of saying 'you suck', then more power to them.  They're not harming me (OR ANYONE ELSE) by saying it, so what's the problem?  Jesus Christ some of you love to make mountains out of molehills.

You want a totally boring and sterile environment?  Stay at home in your living room to watch the game.  Don't try and tell me how to enjoy the game.

/end of overly dramatic post.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I do wonder if any of you against "you suck" have ever attended an NFL game?  NBA game?  Nascar event?  Soccer match?  I don't care what sport (and I use that term loosely regarding Nascar) you follow, but sporting events typically embrace and promote the wild atmosphere.  People sometimes overstep their boundaries, but this is a freakin hockey game, not a tennis match.  I don't want people sitting in their seats quietly, I want people screaming, shouting and getting wild supporting the team.  And if some people do that in the form of saying 'you suck', then more power to them.  They're not harming me (OR ANYONE ELSE) by saying it, so what's the problem?  Jesus Christ some of you love to make mountains out of molehills.

You want a totally boring and sterile environment?  Stay at home in your living room to watch the game.  Don't try and tell me how to enjoy the game.

/end of overly dramatic post.

Exactly. Hockey is and never really has been a family friendly sport. You want family friendly? Go watch baseball. Perfect example. Not only do I not watch baseball because it's boring game but I've been dragged to games and the "fans" there are more interested in sitting in their seats, texting, walking around the stadium then being loud and supporting their teams. I don't want that. Look at the club seats at the Rock. The people that ARE there don't sit in their seats because they are too busy stuffing their faces and watching the games on TVs.

The NHL is not a TV driven league like the NBA. We need the attendence to really shine through and we need that infectous atmosphere that we've had for a few years now. Right now it's boring on boring with the crap play and crap environment. The fact people are supporting this boggles my mind.

Just had an interesting conversation with my high-school buddy who attended the game last night with his 8 year old son.  Growing up, we went to tons of games, as the CAA/BBA was 10-15 minutes from our town.  He doesn't go to nearly as many games since they moved to Newark, but that's besides the point.

Anyway, after the whistle chant (with about 4 minutes to go in a tie game), his son literally asked him, "what does it mean when they say Flyers swallow?"  He told his son he didn't know, and the kid dropped it.  He's now made the decision that he won't be bringing his son to any more games, which basically means he won't go at all.  We talked about how we were pretty rowdy and yelled, screamed, etc back in our college days. but how we would never even consider yelling/chanting something obscene or pretty much R or X rated.  We also discussed how fans (especially younger generations) have this entitlement mindset that they'll do whatever they want, say whatever, etc. because "it's their money" and blah blah blah.

Since I don't have any kids, it's interesting to hear something from a different perspective that I may not have thought about.  And I agree with him 100%.