Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

Not to mention the group they're pleasing is the clear minority and they're annoying the vast majority. This is what's comical about this thread and the one on HF, the minority refuses to believe they are a minority when it's clear as day.

That's not the issue here. They're free to enact any rule they want, just like fans are free not to buy a ticket if they don't like it.

The issue is whether they're needlessly poisoning the atmosphere by starting an adversarial relationship with the fans over something a majority of them do not find offensive. Not to mention the way they've gone about this has engendered even more of a lack of trust than the actions themselves.

And it wasn't just changing the goal song at the last minute without telling anyone that's caused the lack of trust either, the new broker rules (which they also didn't tell anyone about beforehand) also affected a number of people like Satans Hockey.

So just because the pro you suck chant people are whining louder on a couple of forums makes them a clear majority? I know a ton of people who are happy that they don't have to hear that chant again. They are not saying anything because they are satisfied and have nothing else to say.

People were booing the goal song on Thursday, but it wasn't all that much at all. Just mostly a couple of sections.

So just because the pro you suck chant people are whining louder on a couple of forums makes them a clear majority? I know a ton of people who are happy that they don't have to hear that chant again. They are not saying anything because they are satisfied and have nothing else to say.

People were booing the goal song on Thursday, but it wasn't all that much at all. Just mostly a couple of sections.

I didn't see all these protests last year or any other year they had the song.  If both sides were even close to being equal in number I'd think there would have been nine billion posts, tweets, calls, e-mails protesting the song last year but there weren't.

The other night nobody was making any noise period.  Opening Night it was pretty clear what side was the majority.  I didn't see thousands of people booing the song last year.

There's a difference in passion between the two sides, obviously.  No one who was against the goal song (at least here) was stridently against it, but I know there are posters here who didn't like the You Suck chant (including me) and the debate would come up here once every six months.  I think the fact that the song has long association with the team even before the dumb chant was added to it means Devils fans have a fondness for it.

Let me explain. I am going to lump you in with your age group. Why? First, it's whom you're defending and arguing back at. Second, you are either very "pro-suck" or you're doing a god awful job of fence sitting. You're not alone, so don't think it's just you. There's a few other people here are doing it in the vain attempts at being neutral and coy trying to see both sides yet having an opinion(s) that sway one way. You can't see this argument/issue/problem from a neutral perspective. You're either on one side or the other. It's just one side leans heavily in one particular age group and it's undeniable when you read around and then see it at games.

But, i'll tell you one ignorant thing you did post which led to my comment. That shot at NASCAR not being a sport. NASCAR is the most popular spectator sport in the country. How many times is it on the national news in terms of fan behavior considering you've got 80,000+ people in one place nearly every weekend from Feb to (roughly) Oct? MLB had a fan beaten into a coma. In the NFL there's courts in the bowels of the stadium in Philly, extra security outside each section in Oakland and a Jets fan hitting a woman last weekend. Euro soccer there's beating, stabbings, riots and refs killed. But, i forgot those sports embrace and encourage wild fan behavior like you did say......

I still do not get why people such as yourself can not understand that in a public place there are codes of conduct. Instead, the comeback is "don't take your kid there" or "they'll hear it someplace else". It goes back to the argument about entitlement. It's not about the "masses", either. It's about proper behavior and maturity which sadly is lacking across society in general.

I said awhile back that you can not have kids live in a bubble but you can pick or choose where to bring them and do your part as a parent. See, you can only do so much to educate children and try to protect them knowing full well they'll learn it one way or another, eventually. It's a double edged sword, but it shouldn't be in a public place. Especially where there are codes of conduct and a simple respect for others. A person does not have the right to make a public place, be it a game or a visit to the mall or food store, their own personal living room to do and say what they want.

How difficult is this, really, to understand? 

Maybe it's how indignant you're acting and the fact that you just made a ridiculous claim that there's no way to be neutral on this issue and that everyone who is, is just hiding that they're not on your side.

If you think people swearing at a sporting event means they thinks it's their own living room, you're a big 'ol whiner. Yes, the chant is lame, but you are equally lame. I recall my parents being very upset that I yelled "suck" at a game, I think it was directed at the Senators, I was like 6. Some other fan high fived me. I, obviously, now swear at all times in public places and am forever scarred by my premature loss of innocence........................

Maybe it's how indignant you're acting and the fact that you just made a ridiculous claim that there's no way to be neutral on this issue and that everyone who is, is just hiding that they're not on your side.

If you think people swearing at a sporting event means they thinks it's their own living room, you're a big 'ol whiner. Yes, the chant is lame, but you are equally lame. I recall my parents being very upset that I yelled "suck" at a game, I think it was directed at the Senators, I was like 6. Some other fan high fived me. I, obviously, now swear at all times in public places and am forever scarred by my premature loss of innocence........................

There is no way to be neutral. The more you try the more you'll find yourself leaning one way. This whole "debate" is opinion and preference. There's no way to not have an opinion on it.

But, those who waxed about how it "don't bother me" or how "people can do what they want and i don't care" for example, is how arguably 1-3 members in this thread started off. They tried to be neutral or at least see it both ways. However, the more these people posted and got involved the more you saw what side they are on. Either by their own words, examples or who they "sided" with in replies. 

• Like 1

Look at the team's Facebook. There are several top comments on every posting which almost always detest the changing of the goal song. It's def the majority of fans.

Edited by devlman

Look at the team's Facebook. There are several top comments on every posting which almost always detest the changing of the goal song. It's def the majority of fans.

So what? It's facebook LOL. They can seek the attention among a bigger viewing audience then a team board like here or HF. Facebook is not the be all end all to the fan base.

It's the same strawman about the majority of people want the Washington Redskins name changed because you have a segment that's obnoxiously and obsessively vocal. It's simply not true.

• Like 1

So what? It's facebook LOL. They can seek the attention among a bigger viewing audience then a team board like here or HF. Facebook is not the be all end all to the fan base.

It's the same strawman about the majority of people want the Washington Redskins name changed because you have a segment that's obnoxiously and obsessively vocal. It's simply not true.

Ok but then combine Facebook with reddit and here and hf and it appears the majority of fans were rnr2 fans.

Wow, so suck is offensive to the majority of people, like yourself, but a derogatory term for Native Americans, people who oppose that are obnoxious and obsessive. LOL @ hypocrisy.

Wow, so suck is offensive to the majority of people, like yourself, but a derogatory term for Native Americans, people who oppose that are obnoxious and obsessive. LOL @ hypocrisy.

Nice try putting words in my mouth and flipping my post. Just like the other ilk you fall in line with, you're out of material and excuses.

"you suck" doesn't offended me. What i find most "offensive" is the overall behavior of the young portion of this fanbase and the man-children. The self-entitlement, selfishness, petulance and immaturity has finally come to light. The examples of flippant attitude like "i pay for a ticket i can do what i want", "we're NJ you can't make us" only makes these people look like fools.

• Like 1

1. I don't have a problem with the people who chant "You suck!"

2. I don't have a problem with the people who loved RR2.

3. I DO have a problem with the people who can't get over it so they have these "protests".

Thankfully most fans who are apart of 1 and 2 are NOT part of number 3.  The people in 3 is a very small minority.  Hopefully it stays that way.

I cant wrap my head around people who just have no understanding about the value of tradition.

What tradition?  RR2 isn't OUR song.  You suck isn't OUR chant.

You want a real tradition?  Look no further than Winnipeg's whiteout.  Or look at Yankees and the role call.

Gotta think of the children brah.

helen-lovejoy.jpg

Which people are being the children now?

Hint.  It's not the people who complained about the chant originally.

I cant wrap my head around people who just have no understanding about the value of tradition.

So what you are saying is the people who added "you suck" to the chant after keeping the goal song the way it was intended to be for about two decades have no understanding of tradition...

I am bummed about losing our goal song and took part in the "you suck" chant, but "you suck" was not a tradition until recently.  Rock and Roll Part 2 was a long-standing tradition, and I hate to say it but the "you suck" chant is not a long-standing tradition and in retrospect, it marred what was perhaps the most tenured tradition of the franchise.

Nice try putting words in my mouth and flipping my post. Just like the other ilk you fall in line with, you're out of material and excuses.

"you suck" doesn't offended me. What i find most "offensive" is the overall behavior of the young portion of this fanbase and the man-children. The self-entitlement, selfishness, petulance and immaturity has finally come to light. The examples of flippant attitude like "i pay for a ticket i can do what i want", "we're NJ you can't make us" only makes these people look like fools.

You put it in your own mouth. Nice try to deflect by turning it around on me though. Good to now you're ok with offensive terms, so long as they're not offensive to you. Your posts read exactly like what you're whining about. WAH no one is doing what I WANT!!!

So what you are saying is the people who added "you suck" to the chant after keeping the goal song the way it was intended to be for about two decades have no understanding of tradition...

I am bummed about losing our goal song and took part in the "you suck" chant, but "you suck" was not a tradition until recently.  Rock and Roll Part 2 was a long-standing tradition, and I hate to say it but the "you suck" chant is not a long-standing tradition and in retrospect, it marred what was perhaps the most tenured tradition of the franchise.

Exactly how I feel.

NO! WE CAN'T CHANGE THE SONG! I FEAR CHANGE! LIFE WILL NOT GO ON WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO YELL "HEY! YOU SUCK!" AFTER THE DEVILS SCORE A GOAL AT HOME!

MY WORLD IS SHATTERED!

For most sane people it's not about what you yell after the song, it's the fact that they want to go all "PC Police" on you for doing it. I really couldn't care less whether someone makes up a chant, and whether it has obscenities in it or not, just that if it does, and I choose to participate, I should not be considered a "bad fan", should not be a target for removal from the stands by security and should not fear about the status of my ticket "privileges" because of it. Uptight people at the games just need to take a chill pill and stop looking for things to complain about. Don't like something? Don't participate, but don't go making a federal case about it either. Just accept it as part of going to a game and deal with it.

For most sane people it's not about what you yell after the song, it's the fact that they want to go all "PC Police" on you for doing it. I really couldn't care less whether someone makes up a chant, and whether it has obscenities in it or not, just that if it does, and I choose to participate, I should not be considered a "bad fan", should not be a target for removal from the stands by security and should not fear about the status of my ticket "privileges" because of it. Uptight people at the games just need to take a chill pill and stop looking for things to complain about. Don't like something? Don't participate, but don't go making a federal case about it either. Just accept it as part of going to a game and deal with it.

And in the same breath, maybe all those resisting should "accept it as part of going to a game and deal with it" and also "take a chill pill and stop looking for things to complain about" since the song is never coming back.

The sheer fact so many people are afraid of change is just as pathetic as all those who are complaining tooth and nail about those who don't like hearing you suck and their reasoning.

This thread is going to last all season, surpass Koval-gate and zero progress will be made because half will be okay with a new song and others will freak out, complain about a change, and still boo every time we score a goal at home because the song changed.

And in the same breath, maybe all those resisting should "accept it as part of going to a game and deal with it" and also "take a chill pill and stop looking for things to complain about" since the song is never coming back.

The sheer fact so many people are afraid of change is just as pathetic as all those who are complaining tooth and nail about those who don't like hearing you suck and their reasoning.

This thread is going to last all season, surpass Koval-gate and zero progress will be made because half will be okay with a new song and others will freak out, complain about a change, and still boo every time we score a goal at home because the song changed.

It's a temper tantrum. That's all it is. 

Right, the goal song is the tradition we're talking about. "You suck" was just an organic addition. There's just simply no reason to change it. If there was any legitimate basis, it wouldn't matter to me at all. People who cared about our oldest tradition are not the ones looking for something to complain about. The completely irrational people who are offended by the phrase "you suck", and think every environment needs to be bubble wrapped and policed so they don't have to explain adult language to their children are the ones who were looking for something to complain about.