Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

My take is that they already picked what they wanted and all of this is just a dog and pony show to try and appease the fans. Even if you take R&R pt. 2 out of the mix (as it most likely was the biggest vote getter of round one) I find it hard to believe the three songs used were 2-4.

I'm not a R&R Pt. 2 hardliner, I know its over for that one, but they could have at least been honest about things and said here pick from these three songs and not bothered with the bogus 'round one'

We're pretty much on the same page, but I also don't like that the new ownership seems to think that they're one-up on us little people.  We're not dummies.  Most Devils fans know that these three "fan choices" were anything but.   

Well, as long as we're going down that road, this oughta be the goal song:

I hate you with a freaking fiery passion for posting this song and resurrecting it from the pits of hell

EDIT: For old time's sake, "will someone close that goddamn gate already!?"

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

I do not however agree with #3 that just because they own the team and whoever runs the arena can now go on a crackdown to kick out people who start dropping f-bombs, starting chants that involve negativity or sexual innuendo or more or less telling us we have to all be nice to each other. Everyone is offended by something, this is the 21st century. You aren't going to appease everyone. If negativity is so bad, like I saw someone ask on Facebook, "why are they still playing 'Big Girls Don't Cry' then when the other team takes a penalty?" It's all in good fun, and if you don't want to participate nobody's asking you to, but there is absolutely no need to start having Kevin Clark go making announcements about "foul gestures" and being nice to each other 3 or 4 times a game. That offends me. Not that I want to go doing that all the time, but that I'm no longer free to because "they said so"

I'm fine with anything that goes on in the stands so long as it doesn't lead to fist fights.

Want to crack down on people being inoffensive? How about kicking out Ranger fans who yell sh!t out during the National Anthem. That is offensive.

LOL! Yes, they can. :doh1: Are you even serious saying this? I had to bold it to make sure this thinking gets recognized for what it is. This is exhibit "A,B.C,D+++" about "making it your own living room" and "you can't tell me what to do" (and pretty much everything included). This post pretty much sums up the "you suck" crowd in a nutshell. 

Do you understand how to behave in a public place at all? You clearly have an issue regarding kids and families attending games and then you think you can do whatever the hell you like because it's a hockey game . :urg:  You're 31 years old for Christ Sake and you really think/act like this?  :huh:

Edited by TheRedStorm
  • Like 1

I agree with you guys, there's no way these were selected by the fans. They hand-picked which ones they wanted to include and "let us" vote for it.

The process to license these songs is both long and EXPENSIVE.. Maybe tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to license a goal song. I don't think they were going to let the public decide the song during this short period of time and possibly not come to terms on a license contract for that song with its record label, etc., or it be too expensive for them. These were prescreened and prearranged.

I agree with you guys, there's no way these were selected by the fans. They hand-picked which ones they wanted to include and "let us" vote for it.

The process to license these songs is both long and EXPENSIVE.. Maybe tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to license a goal song. I don't think they were going to let the public decide the song during this short period of time and possibly not come to terms on a license contract for that song with its record label, etc., or it be too expensive for them. These were prescreened and prearranged.

Then they should of had a list of "approved" songs to choose from. Fail from the organization. 

off topic but...whatever happened to "Devils Army" I used to love that moniker. RRRRISE Up Devils Army!!!

What are you some sort of Satanist? Can't have kids wearing "Devils Army" shirts. What would people think?!

We're pretty much on the same page, but I also don't like that the new ownership seems to think that they're one-up on us little people.  We're not dummies.  Most Devils fans know that these three "fan choices" were anything but.   

I'm going to disagree. Everyone thinks there is a bunch of unhip, uncreative execs choosing songs like the Bon Jovi one, but the average fan is no better. You ask a fan to pick a song and you'll get 7 Nation Army --the most common, overplayed song in all of sports (granted it is an excellent song to use, just beyond overdone) or one of the other 10 songs they have heard at sporting events like Song 2 or Zombie Nation.

Perhaps, there are ton of unique choices, but an outside the box choice is just that, outside the box, and you aren't going to magically get enough traction. That is why choosing amongst the most picked songs was never going to get anything great. There is a good chance the songs picked were some of the most common requested songs, but most never means the best.
Edited by devilsrule33

It represents way more than 1% of people who submitted votes though.  The fans that post on these forums are probably more dedicated than most, and so are the ones that send in goal song submissions.  If you think these were actually the top three in votes, even disregarding Rock and Roll Part 2, then you are way too gullible.  It seemed clear to me from the get-go that even though they said they were going to test out the three most voted songs, it was obviously going to be three songs that they found suitable.  Just like when you needed to register for a ticket for the equipment sale at the draft a few years ago, but after registering it just took you to a webpage to print out your ticket, all of which had the exact same barcode and number.  It was just a ploy to get more email addresses into their database.  Did you really think someone was sitting there tallying every vote for every single song?  Come on, now.

They probably didn't look through every song submitted, but to say they simply ignored the fans submissions is more ignorant than saying they counted each submission.

Geez, do you ever listen to the actual lyrics of songs?  Glory days is NOT about baseball. 

The first verse is about a guy who used to be a terrific pitcher in high school, but is now just another adult who no longer plays, but longs for his "glory days" when he was probably treated like a god by his fellow students. 

The second verse is about a woman who was clearly chased by many men, but is now a divorced mom who's having a hard time with her situation, and wishes she could go back to her youth.

The third verse is about the narrator himself, who used to be a bit of a party boy, but is now just an aging alcoholic (notice how he's drinking in every verse).  He's still caught up in his partying hey-day, and bores people with his "crazy" drinking and partying stories.  Everyone knows a guy like this...the guy who's pushing 40 yet keeps telling drinking stories from his mid-20s, because he can't accept the fact that he's getting older, and refuses to live in the present day.

The chorus basically states that your best days often fly right by you, and hints that you although you tend not to appreciate them as they are happening, you can easily spend the rest of your life pining for something you can never get back.

The song is hardly about baseball.  It's about people who have trouble letting go of their pasts, and are at odds with their presents.  The music and lyrics are actually oxymoronic...the song has a bright and cheerful tone to it, but the lyrics are pretty depressing...if you take the time to listen to them.     

Relax man.  I don't care if they don't play Song 2 anymore after wins.

I did a search to check, Righteous Smoke was literally mentioned one time on HF before it was announced the song was playing, and that was when someone asked whether the Flames played Light Em Up or not.  Literally nobody else mentioned it beforehand, so clearly it wasn't voted for there.

So the one person you know who actually submitted one of the three songs represents 20%?  Come on now.  You can believe what you want, it's probably better to be nieve.  So who, exactly was voting on the songs if it wasn't the fans who actually go to games (since most were universally booed) or the ones that post on message boards?

Well considering that very few boos happened during these games, I can guess that several of the people who do go to games did vote for these songs.

They probably didn't look through every song submitted, but to say they simply ignored the fans submissions is more ignorant than saying they counted each submission.

Relax man.  I don't care if they don't play Song 2 anymore after wins.

Well considering that very few boos happened during these games, I can guess that several of the people who do go to games did vote for these songs.

No one was there

So what? It's facebook LOL. They can seek the attention among a bigger viewing audience then a team board like here or HF. Facebook is not the be all end all to the fan base.

It's the same strawman about the majority of people want the Washington Redskins name changed because you have a segment that's obnoxiously and obsessively vocal. It's simply not true.

I was thinking about posting something about the redskins name here since I live in dc and it has been a non stop topic.

They both come down to tradition vs correctness. the song is part if the devils tradition- it's been there for the franchises greatest moments. But clearly, just like the redskin name, the chant has to go- it's reached a point where the energy and enjoyment it brings to the fans who chant it is overshadowed by a combination of other fans in the arena feeling uncomfortable and a bad overall image of the franchise.

Ownership probably could have handled it better but really there probably was no way to do away with the chant as long as the song stayed.

I was thinking about posting something about the redskins name here since I live in dc and it has been a non stop topic.

They both come down to tradition vs correctness. the song is part if the devils tradition- it's been there for the franchises greatest moments. But clearly, just like the redskin name, the chant has to go- it's reached a point where the energy and enjoyment it brings to the fans who chant it is overshadowed by a combination of other fans in the arena feeling uncomfortable and a bad overall image of the franchise.

Ownership probably could have handled it better but really there probably was no way to do away with the chant as long as the song stayed.

Yeah ok, having a team that's name is a derogatory term for an entire race of people is the same as fan's chanting "you suck". I don't think there's one person outside of the Devils fanbase who gives two sh!ts about this. That is not the case for the Redskins, as there's a whole race of people they have offended either by intent or ignorance.

The songs in the 2 games i've made it out to this season were awful.  The Nucks game on Thursday and the Bolts last night. AWFUL.  

Might as well just let the goal horn go off for a minute.  

GO BOUNCING SOULS OLE!

the other song that i believe is going to win if it hasnt already was the seven nation army song which really is no great choice either.. all 3 of the goal songs i was pretty disappointed with