Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

Yeah ok, having a team that's name is a derogatory term for an entire race of people is the same as fan's chanting "you suck". I don't think there's one person outside of the Devils fanbase who gives two sh!ts about this. That is not the case for the Redskins, as there's a whole race of people they have offended either by intent or ignorance.

I never said they were the same thing, what I said they had in common is that the only reason people are arguing to hold onto them is tradition. To me that's not a good enough reason.

The only reason the Redskins thing is a big deal now is because there are liberal-minded people who feel they have to fight for something, and if there isn't currently a cause to fight for, make one up. I'm sure there was a problem waaay back when the team originally took the name, but obviously all this time it was never a big issue, even the Indian tribes said it was fine they knew it wasn't meant to be racist (so  what they do have red skin! what's so racist about pointing out the obvious!?)

Aaaaanywaay... these days some liberal jagoff decided to make a big stink about this and get people all riled up about something that is minor at best. Soon we won't even be able to use animal names because that will be racist, derogatory (relating people to animals) and also somehow bigoted, homophobic, etc... where do we draw the line at this crap? where does it end?

You could say god-fearing people are offended at our team being the Devils as it implies worshiping Satan. It sounds ridiculous, but it's exactly the same kind of narrow-mindedness going on with the Redskins thing. All this "equality" crap. People are different, get used to it!

The only reason the Redskins thing is a big deal now is because there are liberal-minded people who feel they have to fight for something, and if there isn't currently a cause to fight for, make one up. I'm sure there was a problem waaay back when the team originally took the name, but obviously all this time it was never a big issue, even the Indian tribes said it was fine they knew it wasn't meant to be racist (so  what they do have red skin! what's so racist about pointing out the obvious!?)

Aaaaanywaay... these days some liberal jagoff decided to make a big stink about this and get people all riled up about something that is minor at best. Soon we won't even be able to use animal names because that will be racist, derogatory (relating people to animals) and also somehow bigoted, homophobic, etc... where do we draw the line at this crap? where does it end?

You could say god-fearing people are offended at our team being the Devils as it implies worshiping Satan. It sounds ridiculous, but it's exactly the same kind of narrow-mindedness going on with the Redskins thing. All this "equality" crap. People are different, get used to it!

If you look in just about any dictionary, the term redskin is always defined as a derogatory term for native americans.  It's not about how many people are offended by it.

The only reason the Redskins thing is a big deal now is because there are liberal-minded people who feel they have to fight for something, and if there isn't currently a cause to fight for, make one up. I'm sure there was a problem waaay back when the team originally took the name, but obviously all this time it was never a big issue, even the Indian tribes said it was fine they knew it wasn't meant to be racist (so what they do have red skin! what's so racist about pointing out the obvious!?)

not to devolve this thread into this discussion, but the bottom line is is the name acceptable or not? The fact that it has been the name for 50 years is not a good enough reason in and of itself to keep the name, just as the fact that the goal song has been the same for a long time is not a good enough reason to keep it. Edited by dmann422

A lot of natives don't have an issue with the name. If you shine a light under teams namr you can find something offensive ala devils, Vikings, dolphins. Etc. It's stupid its be theit name for ever,through thick and thin. All a sudden lately it's a huge issue only because the media makes it. As the"media" does with almost everything in today's world.

I just looked at the Goal Song Contest Rules, check this out:

After the conclusion of the Original Song Finalist Period and the Published Song Entry Period, the Devils panel of judges will select, at their discretion subjectively based upon independent criteria, three song finalists from among the Original Songs and Published Songs that received the most registered votes.

So the top vote getters are essentially meaningless. Technically as long as a song was voted for at all, it could be picked. :rolleyes:

A lot of natives don't have an issue with the name. If you shine a light under teams namr you can find something offensive ala devils, Vikings, dolphins. Etc. It's stupid its be theit name for ever,through thick and thin. All a sudden lately it's a huge issue only because the media makes it. As the"media" does with almost everything in today's world.

lol if you think the name dolphins is on the same level as redskins then idk what to say unless of course you're being sarcastic. The name is wrong simply because the word itself is derogatory. Devils Vikings and dolphins are not derogatory, they are socially acceptable terms to use. A simple test would be would you be willing to call a Native American a redskin to his face? Probably not, but I'm sure you would have no problem calling a flipper a dolphin to his face.

And again, if the only defense for the name (and the song, cuz I want to try to keep this on topic) is "we'll it's been that way forever!" That's not a good enough reason to keep it.

Edited by dmann422

That's not the point.  It's still generally regarded as a racist term.  It doesn't matter how many people are offended by it.  BTW I'm not advocating to change the name.

I know that. I'm generally saying you can find those names offensive to a "group" of people somewhere sadly. The name may be racist. Yes. That's a fact. A good number of people want it changes as well as a good number who don't. Not saying which we should or shouldn't. I'm saying a group of people can find our devils names offensive as well. The media brought this to attention otherwise it wouldn't be a top headline consistently as it hanst over the duration of the its name.

That's not the point. It's still generally regarded as a racist term. It doesn't matter how many people are offended by it. BTW I'm not advocating to change the name.

With the constant you suck chants that will follow. If you saw the Ranger game fans were pretty into it, it made the atmosphere fun, people didn't boo the song and actually worked you suck into it creatively. However SNA isn't even about you suck to me. It has the same fun atmosphere as RRP2 did.

I feel like we are posting in the wrong thread haha. Oh wait we are. >.>

Yea but it was a much tamer YS chant.  Much like the whistle chant, it'll never be as resounding as it was with RR2.  There's a few reasons why.

1. The window to get in the chant is much smaller.

2. People can still just continue singing the song.

3. Getting 15,000 people to time it perfectly will be extremely difficult if not impossible.

I was at the Rags game.  It wasn't loud at all.  And I was sitting in front of the section where it started.

Hold on. Are people actually comparing the term YOU SUCK to the ACTUAL controversial team name of the Washington Redskins?

LOLOLOLOL

Oh brother.

sigh. How about actually reading the content of my post before shooting off nonsense that contributes nothing to the conversation?

I'm still waiting to hear a legitimate argument for keeping the song that doesn't involve "tradition". That is not a good enough reason to keep it.

I'm done talking about the name (and the song too because frankly I could not care less if it changes or not) but I was actually trying to highlight how tradition ultimately means nothing when it comes to this.

Do some research on it before you post....this isnt Fox news, there are Tribes and right wingers leading the charge to change the name.

Edited by The 29th Pick

The only reason the Redskins thing is a big deal now is because there are liberal-minded people who feel they have to fight for something, and if there isn't currently a cause to fight for, make one up.

Aaaaanywaay... these days some liberal jagoff decided to make a big stink about this and get people all riled up about something that is minor at best.

Looks like you're looking for a cause to fight for. You're missing out on a lot of facts. I wouldn't consider the Oneida Nation (Native Americans) a bunch of liberal jagoffs... They're the ones leading charge. Where do you get your news?

Edited by DJ Eco

Looks like you're looking for a cause to fight for. You're missing out on a lot of facts. I wouldn't consider the Oneida Nation (Native Americans) a bunch of liberal jagoffs... They're the ones leading charge. Where do you get your news?

I agree with you DJ

But we cant even agree on a goal song or chant as Devil fans....that Redskin thing is a whole different thing and really shouldnt be in this thread

Do some research on it before you post....this isnt Fox news, there are Tribes and right wingers leading the charge to change the name.

not that i know too much about whats going on with that but its ridiculous that they all of a sudden now are making a problem about the name of the team if i was a fan of that team i would be pissed after spending money on team things jerseys etc. and now all of a sudden they end up changing the name because a few people are deciding to make waves about it.. thats not right. But anyway i highly doubt the name will be changed anyways

A friend posted this on facebook.  I don't disagree with any of it.

http://speakingofthedevils.com/?p=5140

for the most of it that i read that guy has it spot on.. 100%. they think theyre pulling the sheet over fans eyes trying to make fans believe that those choices that they gave everyone were actually the most voted options that fans wanted to hear... its all horse sh!t in the end theyre just doing whatever the hell it is that they want to.. which isnt the right way to go about it people are not stupid and clearly everyone realizes whats going on with the situation.

Well written and my sentiments exactly.  However, I am unsure about if the song selection was rigged because with fan forums and technology, online balloting can be really problematic to determine a clean winner.  Just think of all the hanging chads...

I still don't buy any conspiracy. After such a bad reaction, I am sure whoever was in charge wanted the Devils fans to have their say, but 80% of the votes were prob wasted on voting for the very song they took away in the first place. There had to be some really interesting and unique choices, but maybe there was 1000 single votes for all these songs.

There is no way Seven Nation Army wasn't in the top 3. It's a song that has probably run its course in the sports landscape, but whenever it is played at sporting events, it always sounds awesome. As for the other two songs,maybe they garnered 25-30 votes each and that was enough.  

Edited by devilsrule33

for the most of it that i read that guy has it spot on.. 100%. they think theyre pulling the sheet over fans eyes trying to make fans believe that those choices that they gave everyone were actually the most voted options that fans wanted to hear... its all horse sh!t in the end theyre just doing whatever the hell it is that they want to.. which isnt the right way to go about it people are not stupid and clearly everyone realizes whats going on with the situation.

It's actually a girl who wrote that.  Jaime Grater, she's one of the generals.  She also posts on HF.  

I'm not 100% convinced they completely ignored the fans, but I also don't think they really listened to us either.  But the meat of that letter I agree with.  They should have done a better job of communicating with the fans on this.  Now this has turned into a huge mess.

I for one would 100% be all for bringing back RR2 if fans would stop chanting You Suck.  Granted, I never let the chant ruin my experience at the Rock.  So I guess you can say I'd be in favor of bringing the song back even with the chant.