Smantzas' Open Roster Discussion Thread

sundstrom

Clowe-Elias-Brunner

Olesz-Zajac-Ryder

Henrique-Loktionov-Zubrus

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Tedenby-Josefson-Jagr

those are the lines today. Still wonder what they are going to do.

There's ways to go around it but again i hope this is not just like the Maclean year when Elias was on IR with Lou not managing the roster well and putting some players at risk or putting a black cloud over the team knowing one has to go. He admitted himself that he fvcked up that year.

Clowe-Elias-Brunner

Olesz-Zajac-Ryder

Henrique-Loktionov-Zubrus

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Tedenby-Josefson-Jagr

those are the lines today. Still wonder what they are going to do.

There's ways to go around it but again i hope this is not just like the Maclean year when Elias was on IR with Lou not managing the roster well and putting some players at risk or putting a black cloud over the team knowing one has to go. He admitted himself that he fvcked up that year.

The fact that Josefson (whom I am assuming is not injured) is on the 5th line while Gionta is on the 4th really pisses me off.

The fact that Josefson (whom I am assuming is not injured) is on the 5th line while Gionta is on the 4th really pisses me off.

i'm not reading that much into it. i think JJ is safe. the larsson for urbom swap is one guy. i think that's fairly certain. IR tedenby for the first week waiting for injury or trade.

It probably has to do with chemistry... Carter/Gionta/Bernier have chemistry, while Teddy and JJ do too. I wouldn't let it piss you off. Lou said he didn't want 1W contracts in Albany, so Gionta is likely going to be sent down, regardless of having to pass through waivers. I trust that they are wise enough to put a 5 foot 7, 29 year old 4th liner on waivers over Josefson, who has so much more potential.

It probably has to do with chemistry... Carter/Gionta/Bernier have chemistry, while Teddy and JJ do too. I wouldn't let it piss you off. Lou said he didn't want 1W contracts in Albany, so Gionta is likely going to be sent down, regardless of having to pass through waivers. I trust that they are wise enough to put a 5 foot 7, 29 year old 4th liner on waivers over Josefson, who has so much more potential.

I agree. If Gionta gets through, you can always call him back up and know what you are getting. He is a perfect plug in guy if an emergency happens.

I'm hoping that if Gionta gets sent down, it's the last time we see him this year - unless there's a huge injury. Even though PDB seems to love the guy, Lou was wise enough to give him a two-way contract. I get the sense that they want to keep him in the organization and that sooner or later he'll be sent down, once everyone else has their rosters set. I could be wrong though. Maybe he is good enough to be claimed. But I think that most other teams see him as, like Wensink says, a plug-in guy.

Now that it's pretty clear that Josefson won't be starting out anywhere but the fourth line, hopefully he's the first guy to move up once injuries happen in the top 9.

guys , are you forget about some things

jagr is in just for one year

ryder is in just for two(if some of our joung will be grow up)

teddy may not be roster player in future

we don`t know anything about olesz future in our organization

etc

but in the next year and after year of next year we will still need of real good 4th line 

and one 4th good line we still have

gionta isn`t better than jj

but gionta-carter-bernier still better than most of fourth lines in league with real good chemistry

and when New Jersey Devils will gather to march for the cup

team will need in real good 4th line

and i think PDB and LL think about our future in that key

guys , are you forget about some things

jagr is in just for one year

ryder is in just for two(if some of our joung will be grow up)

teddy may not be roster player in future

we don`t know anything about olesz future in our organization

etc

but in the next year and after year of next year we will still need of real good 4th line 

and one 4th good line we still have

gionta isn`t better than jj

but gionta-carter-bernier still better than most of fourth lines in league with real good chemistry

and when New Jersey Devils will gather to march for the cup

team will need in real good 4th line

and i think PDB and LL think about our future in that key

Bernier and Carter are almost surely gone after this year...I don't wanna overpay them to be 4th liners. You can go find guys like them for free like how we got them in the 1st place

Edited by DH26

I somehow doubt a team would pickup Gionta.

it's irrelevant - that move can't be made today to help with the roster.

the team is at 25. They need to be at 23 in 30 minutes.

lou has only a few options:

1) send down larsson.(doing this only gets one space obviously)

2) IR people (one or two guys depending on larsson or option 3)

3) trade people for non-NHL roster assets (one or two guys depending on #s 1 and 2 above).

that's it. he can't send anyone besides larsson down today to get to 23 - that ship has sailed.

Edited by sundstrom

Let the abuse of the IR system begin ... to be sure, the Devils aren't going to be the only organization playing this game. But still, really?

As Lou would say, use what they give you. Only need 24 hrs to put someone on waivers after lineups are set. It will be much harder for a team to pick up a player off waivers. IMO it will be Gio and Urbom on waivers tomorrow, clear on Wed and sen down. Patty off IR. This Teddy thing I'm not sure of.