Smantzas' Open Roster Discussion Thread

sundstrom

I agree. Urbom has looked ok in the few NHL games he's gotten. He's certainly not flashy, but seems to be more of a stay at home guy with good mobility. Henrik Tallinder-esque maybe? But he's been sitting in the minors for a while and I think deserves a real look.

I don't disagree, but I think the real reason he is still up is not because they want a longer look but that he is waiver eligible.  I could be wrong, but that is my opinion.

I don't disagree, but I think the real reason he is still up is not because they want a longer look but that he is waiver eligible.  I could be wrong, but that is my opinion.

I think it's almost definitely that. They can call up Gelinas at any time. Hell, I think they might do so before the season opener.

Forwards:

Elias

Zajac

Henrique

Zubrus

Jagr

Ryder

Clowe

Brunner

Loktionov

Olesz

Carter

Bernier

Josefson

Barch

Tedenby

Total:15

Defense:

Larsson

Greene

Salvador

Fayne

Volchenkov

Zidlicky

Harrold

Urbom

Total: 8

Goaltenders:

Brodeur

Schneider

Total: 2

That's 25 players, not including Gionta, who I don't think will make the team this year.

Lou will have to pull off a miracle to make a trade w/ the defense happen, or else let a really lopsided trade happen, like the Tallinder one, in order to hold on to Urbom. I think he would be claimed otherwise. As far as the forwards, Barch or Tedenby?

He's already 25 and has spent two full years in Albany. I don't think he ever makes it.

He's 2 years out of college.   His window is smaller but if he works on his defensive game he could be a fringe player.    I liked his feel for the offensive zone.   Execution wasn't always there, though.

Also, the most logical way to protect Urbom is to waive Harrold.   He's not as needed anymore, as they have an offensive defenseman in the minors and obviously with the glut of forwards, his "utility player" status is moot.   It doesn't make sense from a money standpoint but it's possible he gets claimed.

Also, the most logical way to protect Urbom is to waive Harrold.   He's not as needed anymore, as they have an offensive defenseman in the minors and obviously with the glut of forwards, his "utility player" status is moot.   It doesn't make sense from a money standpoint but it's possible he gets claimed.

The problem they have here is that while in theory Harrold isn't necessary, 7th D exist to step in if there's an injury - I wouldn't expect Harrold to get more than 20 games even if he is kept, he'd function more as an 8th defenseman.  Keeping Urbom up as a 7th doesn't make much sense to me, unless they're convinced he's ready and they'll swap him and Volchenkov from time to time and then he'll be the first guy in with an injury.  This doesn't seem to make sense either.

Indeed, Lou said he's not comfortable with someone making an NHL salary in the AHL, so that seems to make it even clearer.

Edited by Triumph

The problem they have here is that while in theory Harrold isn't necessary, 7th D exist to step in if there's an injury - I wouldn't expect Harrold to get more than 20 games even if he is kept, he'd function more as an 8th defenseman. Keeping Urbom up as a 7th doesn't make much sense to me, unless they're convinced he's ready and they'll swap him and Volchenkov from time to time and then he'll be the first guy in with an injury. This doesn't seem to make sense either.

Indeed, Lou said he's not comfortable with someone making an NHL salary in the AHL, so that seems to make it even clearer.

Gotta be a trade then, unless he thinks Urbom will pass through waivers

The problem they have here is that while in theory Harrold isn't necessary, 7th D exist to step in if there's an injury - I wouldn't expect Harrold to get more than 20 games even if he is kept, he'd function more as an 8th defenseman.  Keeping Urbom up as a 7th doesn't make much sense to me, unless they're convinced he's ready and they'll swap him and Volchenkov from time to time and then he'll be the first guy in with an injury.  This doesn't seem to make sense either.

It's not so much any of this making sense, it's just a way to protect Urbom from waivers.   But it's unlikely that Harrold gets claimed anyway.   Lou worked himself in a corner, they just have too many one ways and they've made too many signings.   They may be able to hide Tedenby for now, and hope they can play a shell game to prolong it, but Urbom's going to be tough.    It's possible he doesn't get claimed because he hasn't played much at this level, but you never know.   At least if they trade him, there wasn't that much of an initial investment, but Lou will look a little goofy pawning him off for nothing after pumping his tires for so long.

It's not so much any of this making sense, it's just a way to protect Urbom from waivers.   But it's unlikely that Harrold gets claimed anyway.   Lou worked himself in a corner, they just have too many one ways and they've made too many signings.   They may be able to hide Tedenby for now, and hope they can play a shell game to prolong it, but Urbom's going to be tough.    It's possible he doesn't get claimed because he hasn't played much at this level, but you never know.   At least if they trade him, there wasn't that much of an initial investment, but Lou will look a little goofy pawning him off for nothing after pumping his tires for so long.

There's no need to hide Mattias Tedenby.  Who is going to claim him?  Linus Omark just went right through waivers.  I think Urbom will go right through too - the teams that seem to lack a guy like Urbom (a guy right on the cusp of making the NHL) seem to have a bunch of D already signed.  He's not really worth anything in trade given his waiver-eligibility.

There's no need to hide Mattias Tedenby.  Who is going to claim him?  Linus Omark just went right through waivers.  I think Urbom will go right through too - the teams that seem to lack a guy like Urbom (a guy right on the cusp of making the NHL) seem to have a bunch of D already signed.  He's not really worth anything in trade given his waiver-eligibility.

They'd hide Tedenby because they're not going to pay him $600K to play in Albany.    Then you hope a spot opens up and you shell game all season, or he proves himself enough to where you either move him for more than you can now or move someone else.

They'd hide Tedenby because they're not going to pay him $600K to play in Albany.    Then you hope a spot opens up and you shell game all season, or he proves himself enough to where you either move him for more than you can now or move someone else.

Right, that's fair, but they can't really play a shell game all season with 15 forwards signed to one-ways and Stephen Gionta also around.  Something has to give somewhere, and probably soon.

I don't think Tedenby is worth anything at all, though I suppose his inexpensiveness could appear to a cap-strapped team at some point during the season.

I really hope Lou overrides PDB if need be to send Gionta down. I'd hate to lose Josefson over this. Just doesn't make sense from a talent or financial standpoint to keep Gionta.

Devils have expended countless resources on JJ, including a first round pick. I highly doubt they're going to risk losing the superior player with upside for a career minor leaguer