NFL Week 4!!!!

CRASHER

I didn't even watch the second half...I'm just glad they didn't pull this **it last week when I was there :P

But yeah the optomism train got derailed big-time today.  If they can't even show up against the Titans, how are they supposed to beat the Falcons/Saints/Pats/etc?  And they can't live with Geno turning it over three times a game indefinitely.

Edited by NJDevs4978

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But yeah the optomism train got derailed big-time today.  If they can't even show up against the Titans, how are they supposed to beat the Falcons/Saints/Pats/etc?  And they can't live with Geno turning it over three times a game indefinitely.

You're selling the Titans short....they don't turn the ball over....they get turnovers....that's how they've won all year

the Jets turn it over too much....and never get it back.....the matchup nightmare was there all day

You're selling the Titans short....they don't turn the ball over....they get turnovers....that's how they've won all year

the Jets turn it over too much....and never get it back.....the matchup nightmare was there all day

The Titans strike me as one of these teams that's going to squeeze out a 9-7, 10-6 record by doing the little things and taking advantage of a weak schedule, then get stomped in their first playoff game - a la the Chiefs a few years back.

I didn't think we'd win but getting BLOWN OUT is where I'd have concern.  Tennessee's not the type of team that should blow out anyone.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm basically a hater of Baltimore,philly,jets,steelers and pats.

And who are you a fan of, exactly?

Hate is a strong word. I could seeing being frustrated by traditional powers like Balt/Pitt/NE. I can't see anyone hating traditionally inept teams like Philly or the Jests. They are no threat to any other teams.

Not a big fan of Locker, they are competitive in spite of him. But as an organization, they are building a franchise from the front lines. They will be a tough team in a few years like Seattle.

Hate is a strong word. I could seeing being frustrated by traditional powers like Balt/Pitt/NE. I can't see anyone hating traditionally inept teams like Philly or the Jests. They are no threat to any other teams.

hahaha. you're entire existence is based on hating the Jets. You've gone out of your way to snipe them for YEARS and you talk about them more than any other franchise!!!

How do you criticize somebody else for hating them??? He's just like you!

Edited by '7'

Put it this way. The tri state like hate here in hockey with. NY,Pitt, and Philly as devils fans. To me doesn't stop in hockey. Its all sports. In general

Edited by CarterforPresident

Sports-hate is different then conventional hate and it does exist....I see....and express it :P ....all the time.....

Not a big fan of Locker, they are competitive in spite of him. But as an organization, they are building a franchise from the front lines. They will be a tough team in a few years like Seattle.

any team that can win in this league in SPITE of its QB does deserve a good amount of credit now.....

Don't fooled by the 57 points-against number the Pats have put up through four games...though the Pats have a way of giving up less points than it feels like they should, the Genius' D once again provided little resistance at the end of a game, and found itself unable to pick up where the offense left off.  Yeah, you had a special teams gaffe (the onside kick fumble), and Brady's fumble, but heaven forbid the Patriot D EVER pick up the rest of the team.  Three straight deep drives in the fourth quarter.  Yes, the Pats did hold Atlanta to a field goal instead of a TD when it was 30-20, and Talib (the saving grace on D last night) made a big play in the end zone with Atlanta having a chance to tie it up, but I've seen that sh!t so many times...same ol' Pats D.   

On the obvious plus side, they haven't lost a game yet.  Thompkins looks like a guy who will always be fighting the ball, but at least he's starting to make some plays.  I didn't think they'd win last night, so to me this is the first "bonus" win of the season.  Taking it and moving on.

Don't fooled by the 57 points-against number the Pats have put up through four games...though the Pats have a way of giving up less points than it feels like they should, the Genius' D once again provided little resistance at the end of a game, and found itself unable to pick up where the offense left off. Yeah, you had a special teams gaffe (the onside kick fumble), and Brady's fumble, but heaven forbid the Patriot D EVER pick up the rest of the team. Three straight deep drives in the fourth quarter. Yes, the Pats did hold Atlanta to a field goal instead of a TD when it was 30-20, and Talib (the saving grace on D last night) made a big play in the end zone with Atlanta having a chance to tie it up, but I've seen that sh!t so many times...same ol' Pats D.

On the obvious plus side, they haven't lost a game yet. Thompkins looks like a guy who will always be fighting the ball, but at least he's starting to make some plays. I didn't think they'd win last night, so to me this is the first "bonus" win of the season. Taking it and moving on.

As respectfully as I can say this, I don't know what's worse, the superarrogant Ma$$hole Pats fan, or the Pats fan that can manage to complain about everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

As respectfully as I can say this, I don't know what's worse, the superarrogant Ma$$hole Pats fan, or the Pats fan that can manage to complain about everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

First off, some have started to say, based off Weeks 1-3 (depsite facing two rookie QBs and a third that is on the outs), that the Patriot D, by virtue of keeping the PA down, is somehow "for real".  The Patriot D has been a sore spot for several seasons now, but buoyed/covered up for by the offense.  Last night, they were asked to make stops to close out the game, which I can guess you can say they did...in a bases-loaded, two runs in, deep fly ball out to win the game kind of way.  But that doesn't mean the fourth quarter wasn't frustrating as hell to watch, and that, after watching the Patriot D fail to close out games (or just barely get it done) when they're asked to, I can't vent a little.   

There were positives last night, and I pointed them out:  Thompkins making some plays (but he had a couple of right-in-his-hands drops and just seems like he's always fighting the ball), Talib playing a terrific game, going 4-0 while overcoming growing pains and jelling issues...Atlanta plays terrific at home, and yeah, last night to me was a major "bonus" win, under the circumstances...Falcons needed that win in a big way, and I think most people were expecting the Patriots to be exposed in that game defensively...sadly, they were, but were able to hang on and overcome it. 

Maybe you can't understand this, but time is running out for Brady.  He's one of the best ever to play, and of course, there's no guarantee that you'll ever see your team get another guy like that ever again...there's only so many Montanas, Bradys, Mannings, etc...look at all of the QBs Miami has been through post-Marino.  Is it awesome to see your team in the hunt every year, winning 10+ games season after season after season, almost constantly in the playoffs?  Of course it is...I know, at some point, the Patriots will hit a dry spell, the way all teams do...my Mets just turned in their 5th straight losing season.  I guess I really just want to see Brady get one more ring, even though it's not like he's blameless for the Patriots not getting it done as of late in the playoffs...and it's just frustrating to see the same weaknesses on display again...especially on D, with a guy who's supposed to be a defensive mastermind as the head coach.  Will the Patriots make the playoffs this season?  Yeah, probably.  Will they be exposed the same way it seems like they've been a lot lately, come playoff time?  Yeah, probably.

I understand where you're coming from, in that you're a Dolphins fan who at this point would just be happy to see his team make the playoffs...I'm in the same exact place as a Mets fan, as far as the Mets are concerned.  Kind of even in the same place as a Devils fan too, after last season.  Maybe you think I should just be happy that the Patriots always seem to be a team that's a Super Bowl contender going into each season, and I get that...it's not like I'm suffering...but I can't help feeling aggravated by what I see at times.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

First off, some have started to say, based off Weeks 1-3 (depsite facing two rookie QBs and a third that is on the outs), that the Patriot D, by virtue of keeping the PA down, is somehow "for real".  The Patriot D has been a sore spot for several seasons now, but buoyed/covered up for by the offense.  Last night, they were asked to make stops to close out the game, which I can guess you can say they did...in a bases-loaded, two runs in, deep fly ball out to win the game kind of way.  But that doesn't mean the fourth quarter wasn't frustrating as hell to watch, and that, after watching the Patriot D fail to close out games (or just barely get it done) when they're asked to, I can't vent a little.   

There were positives last night, and I pointed them out:  Thompkins making some plays (but he had a couple of right-in-his-hands drops and just seems like he's always fighting the ball), Talib playing a terrific game, going 4-0 while overcoming growing pains and jelling issues...Atlanta plays terrific at home, and yeah, last night to me was a major "bonus" win, under the circumstances...Falcons needed that win in a big way, and I think most people were expecting the Patriots to be exposed in that game defensively...sadly, they were, but were able to hang on and overcome it. 

Maybe you can't understand this, but time is running out for Brady.  He's one of the best ever to play, and of course, there's no guarantee that you'll ever see your team get another guy like that ever again...there's only so many Montanas, Bradys, Mannings, etc...look at all of the QBs Miami has been through post-Marino.  Is it awesome to see your team in the hunt every year, winning 10+ games season after season after season, almost constantly in the playoffs?  Of course it is...I know, at some point, the Patriots will hit a dry spell, the way all teams do...my Mets just turned in their 5th straight losing season.  I guess I really just want to see Brady get one more ring, even though it's not like he's blameless for the Patriots not getting it done as of late in the playoffs...and it's just frustrating to see the same weaknesses on display again...especially on D, with a guy who's supposed to be a defensive mastermind as the head coach.  Will the Patriots make the playoffs this season?  Yeah, probably.  Will they be exposed the same way it seems like they've been a lot lately, come playoff time?  Yeah, probably.

I understand where you're coming from, in that you're a Dolphins fan who at this point would just be happy to see his team make the playoffs...I'm in the same exact place as a Mets fan, as far as the Mets are concerned.  Kind of even in the same place as a Devils fan too, after last season.  Maybe you think I should just be happy that the Patriots always seem to be a team that's a Super Bowl contender going into each season, and I get that...it's not like I'm suffering...but I can't help feeling aggravated by what I see at times.       

The NFL (and MLB) are different from hockey in that it's much more difficult to make the playoffs in the NFL, much less win a game in the playoffs.  So it's not like the NHL (or NBA) where if you don't make the playoffs consistently it means you're truly a bad team, whereas if you usually make the playoffs it doesn't necessarily mean you're anything special.  Once there, it's almost entirely luck whether you win a Super Bowl.  The margin for error in a one game elimination is extremely small., especially now where the refs can basically call a penalty on every single play if they want to.  So if you're a team that makes the playoffs every single year and is expected to compete for a Super Bowl every single year it means your coach is doing something right. 

Also, people have to disabuse themselves of this notion that because a head coach used to be a defensive coordinator, it means he has less to do with offensive success.  The coaches that can only contribute to one side of the team do not last long as head coaches, see Dick Lebeau, Buddy Ryan, and pretty likely Rex Ryan after this year.   Belichik may not run the offense at a nuts and bolts level (or maybe he does, I'm just not sure) but he was prescient enough to see the value in the two super atheletic tight end set and adopting the up tempo offense.   This was a guy whose team managed to win 10 games with Matt Cassel as the QB.  Pats fans are extremely luck to have him.

In fairness, though the Patriots did manage to go 11-5 with Cassel as their QB in 2008, they did have a lot of pieces from the 16-0 team still in place.  Unfortunately, the biggest casualty from Brady getting hurt was Randy Moss, in that the guy who fought for every ball and played to the max of his talent in 2007 lost that edge.  The numbers in 2008 and 2009 were still very good, but you could just see a difference in him as a Patriot post-Brady torn ACL. 

Cassel was also familiar with the system in place, having been there for a while.  And he had success with KC in 2010, so it's not like the guy had no ability at all.  But yes, BB definitely did a great job that year, getting 11 wins of that team...wouldn't even attempt to argue that point.

I've never said "BB needs to go" or anything like that.  But he's also been blessed by the fact that he had a franchise, all-time QB (that he or no else even knew he had until Bledsoe got hurt), who has shown a remarkable ability to put points on the board and find a way to make it work with whatever he's got around him.  That's a nice ace to have in your deck.  As a head coach, of course BB isn't completely out of the loop when it comes to the offense...far from it...but the fact is, he knows he has a QB who is going to lead his team to 400+ points in a meh year, and 500+ in others, and is extremely durable to boot (with the exception of 2008, he hasn't missed so much as a start).  There's a handful of guys who can do what they do and make a lot of guys look good while they're doing it, and Brady is clearly one of them. 

BB is also one of those coaches who has a LOT of say in who takes the field for him...more than most (understandably so).  He has had some time now to build a defense, but it keeps spinning its wheels.  Like I've said, its main attribute in recent seasons is that it finds a way to be middle-of-the-pack in points allowed, while being near the bottom in everything else (though opportunistic in turnovers, but some of the credit for that has to go to the offense, as their ability to score and take leads forces opposing offenses to take chances).  Based on what I saw in last night's fourth quarter (and even more so now that Wilfork's toast), I think it's going to be more of the same.  

Don't fooled by the 57 points-against number the Pats have put up through four games...though the Pats have a way of giving up less points than it feels like they should, the Genius' D once again provided little resistance at the end of a game, and found itself unable to pick up where the offense left off.  Yeah, you had a special teams gaffe (the onside kick fumble), and Brady's fumble, but heaven forbid the Patriot D EVER pick up the rest of the team.  Three straight deep drives in the fourth quarter.  Yes, the Pats did hold Atlanta to a field goal instead of a TD when it was 30-20, and Talib (the saving grace on D last night) made a big play in the end zone with Atlanta having a chance to tie it up, but I've seen that sh!t so many times...same ol' Pats D.   

On the obvious plus side, they haven't lost a game yet.  Thompkins looks like a guy who will always be fighting the ball, but at least he's starting to make some plays.  I didn't think they'd win last night, so to me this is the first "bonus" win of the season.  Taking it and moving on.

I'm a little confused. The Pats red zone defense was excellent on the final few series. When a team is down a few scores and goes hurry up/spreads the offense around, they are going to get a lot of yards (especially a team like Atlanta in the dome with those weapons). Excellent coaching taking Gonzalez out of the picture and leaving Ryan scrambling for anyone else. Great bend, but not break defense. And if you watch a lot of games, that doesn't happen too often inside the 10. The Patriots red zone defense was excellent all game long.

Poor Mike Smith. So many bad decisions. Going for it on 4th and 2 down 7-3 was really dumb. I understand everyone has been on you about being too conservative, but that's not a smart decision. Get the field goal and keep it a 1 score game even with a NE TD. This isn't the 2007 Patriots here. It isn't like you'll be trading field goals for TDs all night with them. Having said that, it was an excellent play call. Roddy White was wide open, but just a brutal throw by Ryan.

And late in the game down 10...4th and 1. (Now ESPN writer Bill BarnwelI wrote about this, but I was thinking the exact same thing at the time). I get the need to make it a 1-score game, but if you can't convert 1 yard at the 7 yard line, you aren't winning anyway. You are too far with so little time to settle for 3. Plus once you kick the field goal, and go for an onside kick, a team is usually one first down from attempting a field goal to back up two scores. If they went for it on 4th and 1 and converted, Atlanta might be getting the ball back only needing 3 at the end of the game or even having the chance to take the lead. 

3 minutes left. Attempt a 4th and 1 from the 7.

Edited by devilsrule33

They've been bend-but-don't break for years.  The problem with the bend-but-don't break Ds is, eventually, they tend to start breaking...usually against the tougher (read:  playoff) opponents.  There have been times they've been able to put the clamps on inside their own 20 (part of the reason why the PA is good for the amount of yards they give up), but it would be nice if their opponents didn't have such an easy time marching down the field to the red zone in the first place. 

And I agree, questionable coaching by Atlanta in this game.

The Ravens' game plan was moronic...you have Ray Rice playing and a healthy Bernard Pierce and you run the ball NINE TIMES against a Bills' D that made Bilal Powell look like Emmitt Smith the previous week?!  Vereen/Ridley gashed them Week 1 and the Panthers ran for 100+ in Week 2 as well.

The Ravens' game plan was moronic...you have Ray Rice playing and a healthy Bernard Pierce and you run the ball NINE TIMES against a Bills' D that made Bilal Powell look like Emmitt Smith the previous week?!  Vereen/Ridley gashed them Week 1 and the Panthers ran for 100+ in Week 2 as well.

I do not disagree.  But for some reason our run blocking isn't what it used to be.  Maybe today's trade helps us in that regard.   But if we had a viable wide receiver corps outside of Torrey Smith, we could spread the field more and open the running lanes, but no one respects our WR corps and frankly neither do I.

-Oakland, No.  They're going to ride with Pryor and see what they have.

-New York, eh.  If I were the Jets I'd stay far away unless Geno turns in another 2-3 dumpster fire performances.

-Jacksonville has already said "no interest" and I'd imagine that hasn't changed. 

But Minnesota...that's an interesting idea.  Neither Ponder nor Castle is necessarily a world-beater, and they can be a good team with the right QB running the show (although their sieve of a pass defense is a problem)

If he's willing to take backup reps, he could be an improvement on at least 15 QB situations right now at a minimum salary deal (since the Bucs are stuck paying him 6.6 MM iirc). 

Does anyone run a similar offense to Tampa in the NFL?