2013-14 Albany Devils and ECHL Thread

thefiestygoat

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Albany dressed every single healthy player they had (Timmins, D. Zajac still out) and played with 7 D. They also had to bring up Artem Demkov from Elmira on a PTO just to have a full line up. Demkov was one of the invites to Albany's pre-season camp and has 10 goals, 2 assists, 64 shots, and 16 PIM in 17 games so far this year in the ECHL.

Albany defeated Springfield 6-4. Goal scorers for the Devils were Hrabarenka, Pelley, Matteau, Demkov, McKelvie, and Sislo. McKelvie and Hrabarenka also had an assist each and McKelvie completed a Gordie Howe hat trick while Hrabarenka had a game high 6 shots. They were the 1st and 3rd stars. Whitney and Hoeffel had 2 assists each. Kinkaid stopped 30 of 34 shots. Albany outshot Springfield 37-34, Albany was 1/6 on the PP, and 1/3 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet.

Current Streaks:

Stefan Matteau: 5 goals, 4 assists in last 6 games.
Kelly Zajac: 1 goal, 7 assists in last 6 games.
Mike Sislo: 3 goals, 5 assists in last 6 games.
Joe Whitney: 3 goals, 9 assists in last 11 games.
Harri Pesonen: 1 goal, 3 assists in last 4 games.
Raman Hrabarenka: 1 goal, 4 assists in last 5 games.

AHL

Albany defeated Bridgeport 8-6. Matteau and Sislo had 2 goals and an assist each, Sestito had a goal and 2 assists, Scarlett had a goal and an assist, and Boucher and McKelvie each had a goal. Wedgewood stopped 9 of 15 shots. Albany outshot Bridgeport 32-15, went 3/6 on the PP, and 2/3 on the PK. Matteau and Sislo were the top 2 stars. Here is the gamesheet. Highlights (goals and Hrabarenka shattering the glass!):

ECHL

Elmira defeated Cincinnati 2-1. Here is the gamesheet. Unfortunately, it looks like Maxime Clermont is the back up goaltender right now.

omg Hrabarenka at 3:06

Yeah, Wedgewood looked really shaky on a bunch of those goals. I hope he gets it together, because I always imagined him to be an NHL goaltender in the future.

It's cool to see Scarlett making a difference. I bet he's got a much bigger role with Merrill and Gelinas up with the NJ Devils.

Wedge is down to an .869 shooting%...but at least he wasn't drafted in the first two rounds.

Goalie drafting hasn't exactly been kind to the Devils since Marty established himself...J.F Damphousse was a first-rounder in 1997, Ari Ahonen was a first-rounder in 1999, and Frazee was a second-rounder in 2005.  One of them (Damphousse) turned out to be a throw-in in the Friesen deal who played 294 NHL minutes, one never made it, and the other played 19 minutes in the NHL.  This sh!t happens, not knocking Lou, but it's too bad that these guys were never able to contribute much, either on the ice or by potential trade value.   

AHL
Albany had a 3-2 shootout win over Binghamton. Scoring for the Devils was Pesonen (PP, K. Zajac, Hrabarenka) and Sislo (PP, K. Zajac, Scarlett). Whitney and Demkov had the 2 shootout goals. Kinkaid stopped 37 of 39 shots and 4 of 5 shooters in the shootout to earn 1st star. Kelly Zajac was 3rd star. Binghamton outshot Albany 39-26, including 14-0 in overtime. Albany went 2/7 on the PP and 4/5 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet.

Stats and Streaks:

Keith Kinkaid: 13 GP 9-3-2-1, 2.26 GAA, .913 SV%
Harri Pesonen: 2 goals, 3 assists in last 5 games.
Kelly Zajac: 1 goal, 9 assists in last 7 games.
Raman Hrabarenka: 1 goal, 5 assists in last 6 games.
Mike Sislo: 4 goals, 5 assists in last 7 games.

ECHL Friday
Elmira defeated Fort Wayne 4-3 (SO). Here is the gamesheet. Devils prospect:
Maxime Clermont: Stopped 2 of 6 shots in the shootout. Came in after Greenham got hurt after 1st shooter.

I legitimately thought that 14-0 was a misprint but he was named first star and it's stayed up like that, so I guess it was legit.  Kinda can't believe he's only at .913 after a performance like that.

That's crazy outshot 14-0 in overtime! Kinkaid got a free meal out of that game for sure.

I think consistency is the reason his save % is only .913 (which is still pretty good). He had a hot stretch at the beginning of the year. Then he struggled for a couple weeks. 

Albany is playing kind of like I wish the Devils were this year in that when the goaltending struggles they find a way to score goals and when the forwards don't have it, the goaltending keeps the alive. They are finding ways to win games even with injuries/callups.

I don't know when Rick Kowalsky's contract expires, but I could see him getting a shot somewhere in the NHL at least as an assistant if he wants it. Albany's record has improved each year he's been there and that looks like it will continue.

Edited by devils102

AHL

Albany defeated Bridgeport 3-0. Scoring for Albany was Scarlett (PP, Demkov, Whitney), Whitney (McPherson, Helgeson), and Hrabarenka (PP, Whitney, Burlon). Kinkaid stopped all 22 shots he faced and was 3rd star. Whitney and Scarlett were the 1st and 2nd stars. Albany outshot Bridgeport 31-22, went 2/6 on the PP, and 3/3 on the PK. Hrabarenka had a game high 5 shots. Here is the gamesheet.

Stats and Streaks:
Keith Kinkaid: 14 GP 10-3-1, 2.11 GAA, .918 SV%, 3 SO
Raman Hrabarenka: 2 goals, 5 assists in last 7 games.
Reece Scarlett: 3 goals, 2 assists in last 5 games.
Joe Whitney: 4 goals, 11 assists in last 13 games.

ECHL Sunday
Elmira defeated Fort Wayne 5-2. Devils prospect:
Maxime Clermont: 37 Saves on 39 Shots* 2nd Star
Season: 7 GP 2-4-0-1, 3.65 GAA, .881 SV%

Last night I accidentally posted in the prospect thread about Kinkaid ... I wonder what the organization views him as? Isn't Wedgwood more highly thought of?

Either way if we lock up Cory there can only be one backup. I doubt either has much trade value but if we do decide to put together a package for a forward one of them might be a nice secondary piece.

KINKAID, not Kinkaid . 

Anyway, yeah, it will interesting to see if Kinkaid gets a look before 2014-15.  Wedge's numbers are not good so far, but it's a long season.

KINKAID, not Kinkaid .

Anyway, yeah, it will interesting to see if Kinkaid gets a look before 2014-15. Wedge's numbers are not good so far, but it's a long season.

sorry somehow my phone autocorrects it to Kinkaid but I know the correct spelling... If we're calling wedgewood wedge than maybe I'll just call Kinkaid kinky to avoid that lol.

Anyway I know wedge's numbers aren't as impressive and kinky has gotten more opportunities but am I correct in assuming wedgewood is more highly thought of?

Around here or in the organization?  Around here obviously Wedgewood is more highly thought of because he was a draft pick and this makes him special.  In the organization it's unclear but Kinkaid is getting more starts and NJ was fine with leaving Wedgewood in the ECHL all last year.  Goaltending is unpredictable but most goalies with Wedgewood's pedigree do not become NHLers.

Around here or in the organization? Around here obviously Wedgewood is more highly thought of because he was a draft pick and this makes him special. In the organization it's unclear but Kinkaid is getting more starts and NJ was fine with leaving Wedgewood in the ECHL all last year. Goaltending is unpredictable but most goalies with Wedgewood's pedigree do not become NHLers.

interesting... Yeah tbh I doubt Kinkaid isn't anything more than a backup, but I figured with the age difference, draft status, and add in the fact wedgewood was good enough to start for canada at the wjc he might have some value around the league as an outside chance of developing into a starter, where as Kinkaid seems more like a career backup type at best. Edited by dmann422

sorry somehow my phone autocorrects it to Kinkaid but I know the correct spelling... If we're calling wedgewood wedge than maybe I'll just call Kinkaid kinky to avoid that lol.

Anyway I know wedge's numbers aren't as impressive and kinky has gotten more opportunities but am I correct in assuming wedgewood is more highly thought of?

I think when Lou went out and traded his first-rounder for Schneider, that basically told you what he thought of both Kinkaid and Wedgewood.  He might not be sure which of them will be Cory's backup someday (if all goes according to plan...though a lot of Devil fans worry about Cory bolting, I think Lou is going to do everything possible to give Schneider reason to believe in the future of this franchise), but if he thought either one of them was capable of being a good NHL starter, he would've gotten a competent stopgap-type for a year or two. 

Around here or in the organization?  Around here obviously Wedgewood is more highly thought of because he was a draft pick and this makes him special.  In the organization it's unclear but Kinkaid is getting more starts and NJ was fine with leaving Wedgewood in the ECHL all last year.  Goaltending is unpredictable but most goalies with Wedgewood's pedigree do not become NHLers.

Wedgewood I think was, and maybe still is, more highly thought of because by people on the outside because, if I recall correctly, he was considered a high upside type of goaltending prospect, unlike Clemente, or perhaps even someone like Frazee (he was drafted before I really started following prospects all that closely). 

Obviously, the Devils brass thought enough of Kinkaid to make some effort to signing him out of college.  It wasn't a Justin Schultz or even Matt Gilroy-type bidding war, but he wasn't quite a Harry Pesonen-type free agent signing either. 

Wedgewood I think was, and maybe still is, more highly thought of because by people on the outside because, if I recall correctly, he was considered a high upside type of goaltending prospect, unlike Clemente, or perhaps even someone like Frazee (he was drafted before I really started following prospects all that closely). 

Obviously, the Devils brass thought enough of Kinkaid to make some effort to signing him out of college.  It wasn't a Justin Schultz or even Matt Gilroy-type bidding war, but he wasn't quite a Harry Pesonen-type free agent signing either. 

Kinkaid, with a K.  Also when people talk this way about goalies they are talking out of their ass.

Kinkaid, with a K. Also when people talk this way about goalies they are talking out of their ass.

probably so- the problem with goalies is they're hit or miss. You're either good enough or not. It's like like a skater where you can miss but still be good enough for a third line or pairing.

I was honestly just wondering if one of them would be worth enough as a secondary piece in a trade.

Edited by dmann422