2013-14 Albany Devils and ECHL Thread

thefiestygoat

Kinkaid, with a K. Also when people talk this way about goalies they are talking out of their ass.

Talking what way about goalies?

If you're talking about Wedgewood, he was one of the youngest players in that draft, and was the WJC backup for Canada. That sounds like upside for a third round pick.

Or are you just saying you might as well not draft goalies or pick them at random since it's not predictable at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking what way about goalies?

If you're talking about Wedgewood, he was one of the youngest players in that draft, and was the WJC backup for Canada. That sounds like upside for a third round pick.

Or are you just saying you might as well not draft goalies or pick them at random since it's not predictable at all.

When they talk about an 18 year old having 'high upside'.  Look, anyone potentially has high upside.  If the results aren't there before he's drafted, they're not likely to be there after, and that goes for anyone.

Wedgewood was one of the better goalies in the OHL, he played for the WJC team, and he might be pretty good but probably isn't.  So it goes with goaltending.

Hypothetically if Brodeur retires after this year and Kinkaid finishes with a strong season, I do wonder if Lou would be comfortable having him as the back up to Schneider next year. By then he would be 25 with 3 AHL seasons under his belt.

Would be nice for the Devils to have a backup from within.  It'd be great to see Kinkaid succeed where Frazee failed. 

Hypothetically if Brodeur retires after this year and Kinkaid finishes with a strong season, I do wonder if Lou would be comfortable having him as the back up to Schneider next year. By then he would be 25 with 3 AHL seasons under his belt.

Reading the tea leaves, that's what Lou seems to be hoping for, assuming Moose doesn't come out of retirement.

I've always thought Kinkaid had the best chance to succeed in this league than any of our other goalie prospects. I've never been a huge fan of Wedgewood. But then again, goalie prospects are extremely unpredictable, and will always be crapshoots.

just wondering how many games have you seen of both of them to make this judgement or is it just a guess?

I think when Lou went out and traded his first-rounder for Schneider, that basically told you what he thought of both Kinkaid and Wedgewood.  He might not be sure which of them will be Cory's backup someday (if all goes according to plan...though a lot of Devil fans worry about Cory bolting, I think Lou is going to do everything possible to give Schneider reason to believe in the future of this franchise), but if he thought either one of them was capable of being a good NHL starter, he would've gotten a competent stopgap-type for a year or two.

I agree but they haven't shown him much reason to stay so far. That has to change quickly. Lundquist signing with the Rangers eliminated him from the mix for the Devils.

Goaltending is a buyer's market. IF Corey goes UFA it sucks (because of the investment made) but there'll be good goalies to be had for less money. 

Still, he'll have a very good situation here, one that I think is tough to beat, unless a team like the Pens throw a lot of money at him.

I've seen both play many times. That's what's great about HockeyStreams.com.

Do you not agree with my opinion?

no I have no idea that's why I asked my original question. I've only see either of them play a handful of times and on top of that I have no idea how to evaluate goalie prospects. Thanks!

I agree but they haven't shown him much reason to stay so far. That has to change quickly. Lundquist signing with the Rangers eliminated him from the mix for the Devils.

It doesn't have to change quickly.  If the team is looking good or soon-to-be-good next season, then this season isn't going to matter that much, in the grand scheme.  But I do think he has to start playing more.  His not getting more playing time is clearly irking him, and on top of that, there's not one good reason why he SHOULDN'T be playing more.  He's right to be irked by the way he's been used.

It doesn't have to change quickly.  If the team is looking good or soon-to-be-good next season, then this season isn't going to matter that much, in the grand scheme.  But I do think he has to start playing more.  His not getting more playing time is clearly irking him, and on top of that, there's not one good reason why he SHOULDN'T be playing more.  He's right to be irked by the way he's been used.

I'm pretty confident that Lou will give Schneider an offer sometime this summer, perhaps sooner, that will really give a sense of whether Schneider just wants to play for another team.  If Schneider just wants to move on, he'll get traded, hopefully to a team like Edmonton that has a lot of long term assets to give up. 

Goaltending is a buyer's market. IF Corey goes UFA it sucks (because of the investment made) but there'll be good goalies to be had for less money. 

Still, he'll have a very good situation here, one that I think is tough to beat, unless a team like the Pens throw a lot of money at him.

If we lose Cory to FA, it will be an unmitigated disaster for this franchise.  To give up the #9 pick (which could have been Nichuskin) for a goalie that is here for only 2 years when you expect him to be the "future," sets us back big time.  This potential scenario is part of the reason I wasn't all in for this trade to begin with.  It's a good trade if Cory re-signs, and a very bad one if he leaves.  IMO, the Devils will give him whatever he wants to stay this offseason as it has to be a top priority for them.

If we lose Cory to FA, it will be an unmitigated disaster for this franchise.  To give up the #9 pick (which could have been Nichuskin) for a goalie that is here for only 2 years when you expect him to be the "future," sets us back big time.  This potential scenario is part of the reason I wasn't all in for this trade to begin with.  It's a good trade if Cory re-signs, and a very bad one if he leaves.  IMO, the Devils will give him whatever he wants to stay this offseason as it has to be a top priority for them.

I'm not really concerned about this because if Schneider leaves there will be plenty of top picks in the future.  (Although with how well the young defensemen are playing maybe that isn't the case)

How does losing one goalie to FA and replacing him with another from free agency (and there will be goalies in FA, believe me) set a franchise back? 

How does losing one goalie to FA and replacing him with another from free agency (and there will be goalies in FA, believe me) set a franchise back?

don't you know that around here draft picks and lottery tickets are much more valuable than safe bets and smart investments?

Don't you know this franchise is doomed because we can't draft a 17 year old hope and prayer in the first round this year?

You're so silly.

It doesn't have to change quickly. If the team is looking good or soon-to-be-good next season, then this season isn't going to matter that much, in the grand scheme. But I do think he has to start playing more. His not getting more playing time is clearly irking him, and on top of that, there's not one good reason why he SHOULDN'T be playing more. He's right to be irked by the way he's been used.

It doesn't have to change quickly. If the team is looking good or soon-to-be-good next season, then this season isn't going to matter that much, in the grand scheme. But I do think he has to start playing more. His not getting more playing time is clearly irking him, and on top of that, there's not one good reason why he SHOULDN'T be playing more. He's right to be irked by the way he's been used.

That's what I meant with change quickly. More playing time now.

It would set this franchise back tremendously because the team can't score goals, and probably won't be able to for the foreseeable future.  The idea is to have a goalie that gives you a chance to win with some amount of consistency when you're probably going to score two or less goals between 50 and 60 games.  You can't just find a goalie on the free agent market that can do that, or you at least can't count on it. 

If you're talking about a team like the Penguins, Blackhawks, or Kings, losing even a great goalie wouldn't be the end of the world. 

I'm not really concerned about this because if Schneider leaves there will be plenty of top picks in the future.  (Although with how well the young defensemen are playing maybe that isn't the case)

Having lots of top picks has done wonders for Edmonton. 

Fine if you're counting on landing Connor McDavid.  Otherwise, it would be a very long road back.  All depends on whether you're willing to live with that.

It would set this franchise back tremendously because the team can't score goals, and probably won't be able to for the foreseeable future. The idea is to have a goalie that gives you a chance to win with some amount of consistency when you're probably going to score two or less goals between 50 and 60 games. You can't just find a goalie on the free agent market that can do that, or you at least can't count on it.

If you're talking about a team like the Penguins, Blackhawks, or Kings, losing even a great goalie wouldn't be the end of the world.

I doubt Lou let's Cory walk but even so there are some decent goaltenders available via ufa in 2015 and as we know a lot can change with a roster in 2 years. Just look at where we were 2 years ago.

Because it just isn't as easy as you are making it seem.  If it was so easy to pick up a top flight goaltender on the FA market, then why didn't Lou just go that route and keep the pick?  Seems like that would have been a better option for a team that is clearly rebuilding (without admitting it is rebuilding), no?