2013-14 Albany Devils and ECHL Thread

thefiestygoat

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AHL

Albany lost to Hershey 3-2 (SO). Scoring for the Devils was Boucher (PP, Sestito, Timmins) and Matteau (Timmins, Hoeffel). Wedgewood stopped 20 of 22 shots including 2 of 4 in the shootout. Matteau was the only Devil to score in the shootout and earned 2nd star. Boucher had a game high 6 shots. The Devils outshot the Bears 35-22 and went 1/3 on the PP and 0/2 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet

ECHL

Elmira defeated Evansville 4-3

Artem Demkov: -2, 5 Shots

Riley Boychuk: DNP

Harry Young: E, 5 PIM (Fighting), 2 Shots

Maxime Clermont: DNP (Injured)

-- Demkov had 2 goals and 4 assists in his first 3 games after being sent down by Albany. He has been held scoreless in his last 5 games now.

Holy Jesus does Adam Larsson have a nice outlet pass.  He's also doing a better job getting deflectable wrist shots on net. He isn't getting as many shots blocked as he was in NJ.

Boucher has literally looked dangerous on every shift but is being slowed down by Tedenby. Tedenby dangling in the slot rather than ripping a shot or passing it to Boucher or Kelly Zajac. 

Matteau hasnt been that noticeable but he did have a few nice hits.  He is rarely overpowered despite his age and has straight bullied Adirondack players on several occasions

AHL

Albany defeated Adirondack 4-1. Scoring for the Devils was Sestito (Pesonen), Pelley (Wohlberg, Hoeffel), Tedenby (Scarlett), and Whitney. Wedgewood stopped 15 of 16 shots to earn 2nd star. Pesonen with his assist and 4 shots earned 1st star while Wohlberg earned 3rd star. The Devils outshot the Phantoms 31-16 thanks to 4 shot efforts by Pelley, Boucher, and Pesonen. Albany was 0/5 on the PP and 2/2 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet.

Kowalsky said in his postgame presser that Merrill won't play this weekend and he's not sure if he will be available to them next week.

ECHL

Elmira lost to Wheeling 2-1 (SO)

Artem Demkov: Goal, +1, 4 Shots, Stopped in SO

Riley Boychuk: DNP

Harry Young: E, 1 Shot

Maxime Clermont: DNP (Injured)

Yeah I kind of understand it. The job of the coaching staff is to develop Wedgewood going forward. He's their guy until Kinkaid is back. If Wedgewood is playing well then ride him and hope to create some positive energy the rest of the season. Hedberg is just a hired gun. It definitely backfired though. 7-3 Bridgeport with just over 5 mins left.

I'm surprised they didn't just start Hedberg - I guess given that Wedgewood got no pressure in the last 20 minutes of last night's game (and I watched it and he didn't), they thought he'd be good for a 3 in 3.

What do you thin of Hoeffel as a possible Ryan Carter or Steve Bernier replacement? Love his speed and is huge to boot

Yeah I kind of understand it. The job of the coaching staff is to develop Wedgewood going forward. He's their guy until Kinkaid is back. If Wedgewood is playing well then ride him and hope to create some positive energy the rest of the season. Hedberg is just a hired gun. It definitely backfired though. 7-3 Bridgeport with just over 5 mins left.

Kinkaid, with a K.  I don't think they played Wedgewood because they're trying to develop him, they played him because they thought he'd be a better option than a guy who has been cleaning apartments and scouting for the last 5 months.  I'm just not sure that was true given that Wedgewood's AHL numbers are terrible.

What do you thin of Hoeffel as a possible Ryan Carter or Steve Bernier replacement? Love his speed and is huge to boot

It's funny, I saw the speed last night but he just does not make enough happen.  I can't see it.  In the old days he might've gotten a shot because of expansion but there's just not much there other than pressuring the D with the puck.

in a way moose is still performing his prior duties 

only thing hes not doing now is filling water bottles

speaking of deep D (and no one was) Dan Kelly has been great, oh and has similar stats as Hoeffel haha.

Edited by lazer

Albany lost to Bridgeport 7-3 for their 9th loss in their last 12 games. Scoring for the Devils was Hrabarenka (Whitney), Whitney (Matteau, Timmins), and Hrabarenka (PP, Boucher). Wedgewood stopped just 6 of 11 shots in 22:19 before being pulled for Hedberg who stopped 11 of 13 shots in 37:41. Albany outshot Bridgeport 36-24 and went 1/8 on the PP and 5/5 on the PK. Hrabarenka's 2 goals and 4 shots earned him 3rd star. Here is the gamesheet

Albany continues to sit 9th in the East with 60 points in a very tight race from 4th thru 9th. Wedgewood's .889 SV% in 24 games has him 2nd to last in the AHL (48/49). Hrabarenka now has 5 goals and 12 assists in 30 games with 48 shots. This was his 1st game in nearly a month as he fell victim to the D logjam and had gone 9 games without registering a point after an impressive 3 goals and 10 assists in 14 games prior. Boucher has 12 goals and 12 assists with 94 shots in 32 games. Matteau has 9 goals and 10 assists with 66 shots in 43 games.