2013-14 Albany Devils and ECHL Thread

thefiestygoat

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wedge is very slightly below .900.  Still, he had a good month that has helped propel Albany into the playoffs, in his first year in the AHL.  That is a cause for cautious optimism.

Yeah, but he was eligible last year too, spent that in the ECHL and posted a .900, so...

As the Wolf says, let's not start sucking each other's dicks yet.  I'm not convinced Johnson's offense will translate to the pro game - may well just be a Jason Blake type who has no vision.  Even with great speed it's hard for those guys to be any good.

As the Wolf says, let's not start sucking each other's dicks yet.  I'm not convinced Johnson's offense will translate to the pro game - may well just be a Jason Blake type who has no vision.  Even with great speed it's hard for those guys to be any good.

You are clearly misunderstanding what I mean by translate. I think Johnson will be an elite 4th liner with a ceiling as a good 3rd liner. His goals are all even strength so he should be able to convert his scoring more than most JR players who stat pad on the PP. 

You are clearly misunderstanding what I mean by translate. I think Johnson will be an elite 4th liner with a ceiling as a good 3rd liner. His goals are all even strength so he should be able to convert his scoring more than most JR players who stat pad on the PP. 

I mean, I don't think an elite 4th liner really exists - an elite 4th liner is a guy who would play 3rd line on another team but for circumstance.  There really aren't players beyond goons who routinely play 10 minutes a game for 5 years - either they improve and get more ice time, or some other team thinks they're good and acquires them, or they fizzle out and go elsewhere.

My point is that even so, his offense isn't that wonderful and I could see him scoring .25 points per game next year and basically having no chance at a long NHL career.

Albany defeated Springfield 5-2 to conclude their regular season. Scoring for the Devils was Wohlberg, Timmins (Pesonen, Boucher), Whitney (Sislo, Sestito), Burlon (Matteau), and Pesonen (EN, Johnson). Wedgewood stopped 20 of 22 shots. Albany outshot Springfield 24-22 and went 0/3 on the PP and 4/4 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet.

Lines and pairings from Bill Cain:
Matteau-D.Zajac-Wohlberg
Sislo-Sestito-Whitney
Boucher-Timmins-Pesonen
Johnson-Black-Janssen

Kelly-Burlon
Gelinas-Hrabarenka
Urbom-Scarlett

Scratches: Helgeson, Larsson, Merrill, Pelley, K.Zajac, McKelvie, Tedenby, Hoeffel, McPherson, Faust

This was Helgeson's 1st scratch of the season, obviously they were giving him a rest along with some others.

Any idea of line combos for playoffs, feisty?

Unfortunately I have no idea since I haven't watched or listened to any of the games this year. Bill Cain is great for this info but his paper made his once regular A-Devils beat a rarity this season. I have to imagine the lines and pairings have been pretty fluid all year due to all the injuries, call ups, and late signings this season. I get the impression that Larsson plays a ton of minutes from what I've read online.

Here is a recent article from Cain that mentions that Kelly Zajac has been routinely centering a line with Tedenby and Matteau on the wings. Sounds like Kelly Zajac could be a NHL player, had a nice year (67 GP 12-32-44). Plays in all situations for Albany too.

Also mentioned in that article is that Helgeson and McPherson seem to have been a routine pair all year long and have received some of the tougher assignments.

Looks like Albany will be the 5th seed and take on St. John's in the 1st round of the playoffs now.

Albany's 1st Round Schedule:

Eastern Conference Quarterfinals – Series “D” (best-of-5)
4-St. John's IceCaps vs. 5-Albany Devils
Game 1 – Fri., Apr. 25 – St. John's at Albany, 7:00
Game 2 – Sat., Apr. 26 – St. John's at Albany, 7:00
Game 3 – Wed., Apr. 30 – Albany at St. John's, 6:00
*Game 4 – Fri., May 2 – Albany at St. John's, 6:00
*Game 5 – Sat., May 3 – Albany at St. John's, 6:00

Sweet.  I want to go to at least one of the games, but I'm rather low on funds at the moment, so I'll have to see if my sister feels like going.  I've already let her know about the ticket deal, so maybe we'll take advantage of that.

Oh, and the ticket deal, for those who haven't heard:  The Devils are offering discounted tickets for the first round in the corners and end zones.  The price will go up $1 a day (today it's $6) until Game 1 on Friday.  The catch is they're best seats available (you can't pick your seats) and you can only buy them through the Devils' website.  The walk-up price for those seats is $17.50 for the ends and $20.25 for the corners (and $23 for center ice and $26 for seats on the glass), so definitely think about jumping on the online deal.

Sweet.  I want to go to at least one of the games, but I'm rather low on funds at the moment, so I'll have to see if my sister feels like going.  I've already let her know about the ticket deal, so maybe we'll take advantage of that.

Oh, and the ticket deal, for those who haven't heard:  The Devils are offering discounted tickets for the first round in the corners and end zones.  The price will go up $1 a day (today it's $6) until Game 1 on Friday.  The catch is they're best seats available (you can't pick your seats) and you can only buy them through the Devils' website.  The walk-up price for those seats is $17.50 for the ends and $20.25 for the corners (and $23 for center ice and $26 for seats on the glass), so definitely think about jumping on the online deal.

Sounds like a great deal.  Hopefully the boys get some support and make a nice run here.

Here is a stats overview for the Albany Devils. I separated scoring by primary/secondary and situation (EV/PP/SH). Also included GA%- and GSAA for goalies. Josh W of NHL Numbers also was kind of enough to let me include his possession chart for the Devils. I recommend following him on twitter (@joshweissbock) and checking out his Calder Cup Possession Preview.

A few random thoughts...

Kelly Zajac had 44 points to rank 2nd on the team. Of those 44 points, 32 were primary and 31 were at even strength.

Mike Sislo had a great year and I liked what I saw of him in NJ. He led Albany with 23 goals but it seems his 16.43 SH% could have inflated that a bit. Of his 41 points, 35 were primary and 25 of them were at even strength. He also led the team with 3 short handed points.

30 of Harri Pesonen's 36 points were primary and 32 of his points came at even strength.

In terms of goal scoring, Boucher and Sislo both had G/GP rates above the 90th percentile, just below the 95th percentile.

In terms of the goalies, Kinkaid ended up about league average and Wedgewood well below average. Kinkaid's GA%- was 98 (100 is average, below 100 is better, above 100 is worse) and his GSAA was +1.74. Wedgewood had a 112 GA%- and -8.71 GSAA.

Nice post.  I think the Devils like Sislo and even though he's UFA, he'll sign here and break camp with the team, possibly as a 4th liner, possibly as a 13th forward.  He's like a North American Zharkov.

I have to unsecond your recommendation to follow him on twitter though because he spams the hell out of his stats.

AHL
Albany lost to St. John's 2-1 and now trail the series 1-0. The lone Albany goal was Whitney (PP, Merrill, Sislo). Kinkaid stopped 30 of 32 shots. Albany was outshot 32-26 and went 1/2 on the PP and 4/4 on the PK. Pelley (5) and Sestito (4) led the team in shots. Here is the gamesheet.

Lines and Pairings (via @Bill_Cain_):
Boucher-Timmins-Pesonen
Matteau-K. Zajac-Tedenby
Whitney-Sestito-Sislo
Wohlberg-Pelley-D. Zajac

Helgeson-McPherson
Gelinas-Merrill
Kelly-Larsson

ECHL Eastern Conference Quarterfinals
#4 Orlando defeated #5 Cincinnati 2-0 (Trail Series 3-1)
Maxime Clermont G: 25 Save Shutout* 1st Star
Playoffs: 3 GP 1-2, 2.03 GAA, .926 SV%, 1 SO