2013-14 OOT Thread

Daniel

I never thought he was a bad coach to begin with.  It's not like the Rangers ever underachieved in terms of their talent level really, and actually overachieved a couple years ago.

It's possible...it's also possible the contract thing is getting to him, and it's also possible they aren't that good of a team and were propped up by the 92345 shot blocking system.

Didn't mean to say he was bad, just more influential to the rags success than it seemed

Hasan is right. The reason Tort had them play that way was due to personnel. A good coach adjusts to the roster. Even with Nash, they're not an overly skilled team. The Rangers won't be confused with the Islanders, Canucks or Sharks. You must have great team speed to play run and gun. Sather listened to Lundqvist, Richards and the press. He made the same mistake acquiring Nash. 2011-12 was their best shot. You don't break up a roster that close.

Living in DC I end up watching/attending a fair amount of Caps games and hang out with a lot of caps fans. Urbom played well last night and erskine (who is in their top 4) has played terrible in the 3 games i've seen. Certainly a big part of it is the atrocious D depth on the Caps, but I believe Urbom will be afforded every opportunity to win a spot in the top 4 of their lineup. It was the best thing possible for Urbom's career to be picked up by them.  I'll be sure to fill everyone in on what Urbom is able to do when given an opportunity at the NHL level.

Hasan is right. The reason Tort had them play that way was due to personnel. A good coach adjusts to the roster. Even with Nash, they're not an overly skilled team. The Rangers won't be confused with the Islanders, Canucks or Sharks. You must have great team speed to play run and gun. Sather listened to Lundqvist, Richards and the press. He made the same mistake acquiring Nash. 2011-12 was their best shot. You don't break up a roster that close.

I can't speak for you personally, since I have no idea what your thoughts about the Nash trade and Torts firing were at the times they happened.  And it isn't really a dig so much at Ranger fans, since most fans are guilty of it.  But the fickleness of the mob is astounding.

When the Nash deal was announced, you would be hard pressed to find anyone that thought it was a bad deal for the Rangers, and it basically got Howson fired.  (My very unscientific analysis comes from getting Ranger fan thoughts from their messageboards).  The Rangers were supposedly one elite forward away from winning the Cup, even according to pseudo-stat nerds like Neal "I'm always right, except when I'm usually not, but there really is something scientific to my predictions" Greenberg, AND the Rangers managed to hold on to wunderkind Chris Kreider.  Last year, the big problem was Torts not opening things up. 

Just to be clear, I have no idea what's in store for the Rangers, since I haven't watched any of their games thus far, and can't tell if this is the start of a persistent trend.  But FWIW, Pierre McGuire, who, despite message board rantings, is a very good hockey analyst (who I would like the Devils to take a look at for GM when Lou retires), thinks that the shrunken pads and decreased back end of the net has really affected Lunqvist's game.  If that's true, the Rangers might be in the Connor McDavid sweepstakes next year.

I instantly knew it was a bad deal. The guys they gave away, especially Dubinsky (despite having an uncharacteristically bad year), are flat out frustrating to play against. We've seen this scenario play out so many times with the Rangers, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody. Then, they get rid of Gaborik, whose numbers are even with Nash's over their career, or actually I think they're better than Nash's numbers.

Stupid stupid stupid moves. Brassard's and John Moore's play during the end of last year and the postseason was the only thing that was making the Rangers out to be a winner in the overall deal, but we're now seeing it might have been a fluke.

anyone see the seth jones fail in the corner for a goal? wow, not going to make teams regret that way!

rags remind me of our maclean experiment

yeah he got manhandled by Van Riemsdyk.

but i mean, the kid is so young still he made some really awesome plays that game though stickhandling pucks through guys on the blue line to keep it in, it was a beauty

I can't speak for you personally, since I have no idea what your thoughts about the Nash trade and Torts firing were at the times they happened.  And it isn't really a dig so much at Ranger fans, since most fans are guilty of it.  But the fickleness of the mob is astounding.

When the Nash deal was announced, you would be hard pressed to find anyone that thought it was a bad deal for the Rangers, and it basically got Howson fired.  (My very unscientific analysis comes from getting Ranger fan thoughts from their messageboards).  The Rangers were supposedly one elite forward away from winning the Cup, even according to pseudo-stat nerds like Neal "I'm always right, except when I'm usually not, but there really is something scientific to my predictions" Greenberg, AND the Rangers managed to hold on to wunderkind Chris Kreider.  Last year, the big problem was Torts not opening things up. 

Just to be clear, I have no idea what's in store for the Rangers, since I haven't watched any of their games thus far, and can't tell if this is the start of a persistent trend.  But FWIW, Pierre McGuire, who, despite message board rantings, is a very good hockey analyst (who I would like the Devils to take a look at for GM when Lou retires), thinks that the shrunken pads and decreased back end of the net has really affected Lunqvist's game.  If that's true, the Rangers might be in the Connor McDavid sweepstakes next year.

I wasn't in favor of the deal. I felt it broke up the foundation. Combine that with the loss of Prust and even Mitchell and they lost too much depth and versatility. I could probably dig up a blog or two but am too lazy. Now Nash has a second concussion and already was a soft overrated Canadian player. He doesn't finish checks. Never back checks. Zuccarello has more heart in his pinky. I'll take a team of Callahans, Hagelins and Zuccarello's any day. Speaking of which, no Hags really hurts them. He's super fast and a mini-Cally. There really isn't that much team speed or skill. That's why the whole fire Tort/hire AV thing was classic overreaction. I never bought into the Tort held them back theory. They wouldn't have reached the ECF playing another style.

I have a lot of thoughts on the kids and their development in general or lack there of. But I'll withhold judgment.

Flyers lost again. Giroux has been really over rated and hyped since once season. He's not an elite player. No where near the worlds best athlete.

Give it a little more time. Even in an off year, he still came back strong.

Yea, I thought the Nash deal was questionable from day 1.  Much like when we re-signed Kovalchuk, it ruined our depth.  The Nash trade really hurt their depth.  I'm sure the Rangers would love to have Dubinsky and Anisimov right now.

Last year, they had none. There's much better depth in terms of prospects. Kreider and Miller are off to good starts in Hartford along with Kristo and McIlrath. There's also Allen, Lindberg and Hrivik. The key is not to rush them. As for the poor start, Biron goes tonight in St. Loo. I previewed it. Some interesting quotes from Callahan and Girardi. Plus a key stat on the Rangers without Nash. They bring an 0-4-1 record when he doesn't play outscored 18-6.

saw this on twitter

Edmonton Journal reports the #Oilers seek a tough, mean third-pairing defenseman

HEY OILERS! WE HAVE 2 ! 

Forget driving him to the airport, I'll get on the plane and fly Volchenkov to Edmonton. I don't even care if we get anything in return. I'll take a Wayne Gretzky rookie card and a case of Molson Canadian and its a done deal.

saw this on twitter

Edmonton Journal reports the #Oilers seek a tough, mean third-pairing defenseman

HEY OILERS! WE HAVE 2 ! Forget driving him to the airport, I'll get on the plane and fly Volchenkov to Edmonton. I don't even care if we get anything in return. I'll take a Wayne Gretzky rookie card and a case of Molson Canadian and its a done deal.

Well now you're getting greedy. We'd almost certainly have to provide the booze for the deal to go through.

Forget driving him to the airport, I'll get on the plane and fly Volchenkov to Edmonton. I don't even care if we get anything in return. I'll take a Wayne Gretzky rookie card and a case of Molson Canadian and its a done deal.

Stupid no-trade clause.

let's hope the Bruins hold on and beat Colombus. We're only 2 NJ wins and a few losses from other division teams to be in really. 

It's a weak division.  We'll be in it right to the very end.  This team is making the playoffs.