2013-14 OOT Thread

Daniel

I know we got nothing for Urbom, but his value wasn't very high at the time. I think the best we could have received in return would be a late pick that likely wouldn't have turned into anything.

Truthfully, 3-4 years down the road, I don't see where he fits in the Devils D. Even if Fayne walks after this season, which I really hope he doesn't... Between Merrill, Larsson, Severson, Gelinas, Greene, and Santini, there's not going to be very much room. Of the young guys in the system likely to turn pro, it seemed that Urbom wasn't the highest priority. I did see a good Volch replacement (upgrade) in him, though. It's nice to have a guy that can be a bit nasty. Maybe Santini will be the guy to fill that Volchenkov "role".

The best we can do is move on and be thankful that we've got so much prospect depth that losing Urbom didn't make us any worse, even if it made another team better.

As bad as our situation is, we're really getting helped out by Washington, Philly and the Rags who are sucking even worse than us. In a normal year, we'd be in a lot of trouble with this record. Aside from perhaps the Penguins, we're in really good shape division-wise despite the horrendous start. 

As bad as our situation is, we're really getting helped out by Washington, Philly and the Rags who are sucking even worse than us. In a normal year, we'd be in a lot of trouble with this record. Aside from perhaps the Penguins, we're in really good shape division-wise despite the horrendous start. 

Thank god for being in a weak division.

Urbom has survived thus far playing pretty decent minutes.   Of course NHL.com doesn't believe in advanced stats, so I can't see if he's lucky or outplaying the majority of the guys out there.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67&ds=1&f3=ALEXANDERURBOM&f1=2013_s

http://www.extraskater.com/player/910/alexander-urbom

Japersrink.com had this about this debut:

• Alexander Urbom's Caps' debut was a good one for the young blueliner, as he demonstrated some of the skills that clearly made the Caps want him and the Devilssad to lose him. He does have a cannon of a shot from the blue line, and got it on net three times in the first period, but more importantly seems very calm on the blue line and wasn't trying to do too much. Good start.

And this about the second game vs Avs (5-1 loss):

• Speaking of Schmidt, half of the Caps' blueline on Saturday night was Schmidt, Alex Urbom and Steve Oleksy. One year ago tonight, that trio had 13 total NHL games played, all Urbom's. Would that even be a top bottom-half of an AHL defense corps? These guys aren't killing the Caps with glaring mistakes, but the little things - first passes, clears, etc. - have been a huge problem (and that goes for the whole group, including the Big Three, John Erskine and Connor Carrick).
Edited by Marshall

obvious but rags losing to 3 top teams

devils losing to 3 bottom teams

that being said i think these teams that have drafted top ten picks over the years are starting to materialize.

The Rags got destroyed by those 3 teams though.  The Devils were in close games.  Vancouver isn't a bad team by any stretch by the way.

i guess things are not going well between Yapukov and Eakins in EDM. Yakupov got scratched for the game on saturday and was really fvcking pissed.

Yakupov doesnt want to change his style of play saying he doesnt like to skate full speed and forecheck and backcheck and hit guys every shifts that its not his style of play that he wants to have the puck and do his things.

Then Eakins says he doesnt care about his level of talent that he was to understand that he has to you cant produce by yourself in this league that you have to trust your teammates etc etc

then there's a coach from the KHL saying he could be back in the KHL next year already.

should be insteresting

i guess things are not going well between Yapukov and Eakins in EDM. Yakupov got scratched for the game on saturday and was really fvcking pissed.

Yakupov doesnt want to change his style of play saying he doesnt like to skate full speed and forecheck and backcheck and hit guys every shifts that its not his style of play that he wants to have the puck and do his things.

Then Eakins says he doesnt care about his level of talent that he was to understand that he has to you cant produce by yourself in this league that you have to trust your teammates etc etc

then there's a coach from the KHL saying he could be back in the KHL next year already.

should be insteresting

Nice going leaving out the part of the article where Yakupov says he'll actually change parts of his game. He's not going anywhere. 

Edit: 

“I’m going to play my game,” he said. “I’m not going to change but maybe play better without the puck, or forecheck more, but I love playing with the puck.

The bolded part changes everything about the statement. The other nuances ("maybe") are because of his limited language skills. 

Edited by Marshall

Nice going leaving out the part of the article where Yakupov says he'll actually change parts of his game. He's not going anywhere. 

Edit: 

The bolded part changes everything about the statement. The other nuances ("maybe") are because of his limited language skills. 

i didnt see that part of the quote at all in the article i read. They left it out not me

not 100% related but am i the only one who wish we would have signed Raymond instead of Clowe. Cheaper, FASTER and he's producing already. Oh and he can actually score in SO, even though he did that spinorama move that i hate

Sure, but Raymond was terrible in his last couple of seasons and while cheaper than Clowe, you wouldn't have gotten him for a mill like the Leafs. In July, signing Raymond over Clowe would've seemed crazy, finances aside. 

not 100% related but am i the only one who wish we would have signed Raymond instead of Clowe. Cheaper, FASTER and he's producing already. Oh and he can actually score in SO, even though he did that spinorama move that i hate

I'm not even at the point where I'm wishing who Lou could've signed in Clowe's stead.  I think I'm more wishing he never signed Clowe, period.  It's early and probably not fair to kill this signing yet, but this one looks really, really bad.  He looks like damaged goods.