2013-14 OOT Thread

Daniel

I know, look Lou got them to take Rolston maybe he can send some D over there for some scoring help

I completely misread your post.   :doh1:

Man what would the Isles even want for Vanek?  They don't need a Volchenkov or a Salvador type of dman.  It would take something likek Greene, Fayne, AND something else to get it done.  I'm not willing to do that.  I might be willing to do something around Greene, and maybe a prospect (Severson maybe), and a pick though.

I completely misread your post.   :doh1:

Man what would the Isles even want for Vanek?  They don't need a Volchenkov or a Salvador type of dman.  It would take something likek Greene, Fayne, AND something else to get it done.  I'm not willing to do that.  I might be willing to do something around Greene, and maybe a prospect (Severson maybe), and a pick though.

well if the Isle's are totally out of a playoff spot at the deadline, and rumors are Vanek might sign in Minny next year, who knows what Snow would take for him? He'd be a good rental

Think Okposo would be available for the right package?  Good cap hit for the next 3 years, starting to finally find his game..probably reasons why the Isles wouldn't trade him..but I've always liked his game.

I don't even want to speculate because I'm terrible at evaluating fair trades, but I imagine it'd take at least one of Gelinas or Merril plus a pick.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Think Okposo would be available for the right package?  Good cap hit for the next 3 years, starting to finally find his game..probably reasons why the Isles wouldn't trade him..but I've always liked his game.

I don't even want to speculate because I'm terrible at evaluating fair trades, but I imagine it'd take at least one of Gelinas or Merril plus a pick.

i dont think the solution is to trade one of those 2, they are part of the long term solutions IMO.

That being said... after them we have nothing to trade and even in our lineup we dont have much values. We're in a very very bad spot to regain scoring for the next few years. But thats 100% on Lou and no one else

i dont think the solution is to trade one of those 2, they are part of the long term solutions IMO.

That being said... after them we have nothing to trade and even in our lineup we dont have much values. We're in a very very bad spot to regain scoring for the next few years. But thats 100% on Lou and no one else

did I miss something where Lou said the team won't sign free agent forwards in the coming seasons?

Not Lou's fault that Kovalchuk bailed on the team.

He re-signed both Zajac and Henrique to long-term deals BEFORE THEY WENT UFA, but both haven't been scoring (though it's arguable how much either player should have been expected to score).  He re-signed Elias.

He tried to recover from Kovy the best that he could by signing guys who at least had shown the ability to score previously (Jagr and Ryder).  He took a gamble on Brunner.

Clearly it's not working from an offensive standpoint, and it sucks that a guy who looked like he might be able to score in Tedenby looks like he's going to be a bust.  Unfortunately the Devils aren't getting much help from their prospects, as far as forwards who can score goes. 

But what would you rather he had done? 

Not Lou's fault that Kovalchuk bailed on the team.

He re-signed both Zajac and Henrique to long-term deals BEFORE THEY WENT UFA, but both haven't been scoring (though it's arguable how much either player should have been expected to score). He re-signed Elias.

He tried to recover from Kovy the best that he could by signing guys who at least had shown the ability to score previously (Jagr and Ryder). He took a gamble on Brunner.

Clearly it's not working from an offensive standpoint, and it sucks that a guy who looked like he might be able to score in Tedenby looks like he's going to be a bust. Unfortunately the Devils aren't getting much help from their prospects, as far as forwards who can score goes.

But what would you rather he had done?

He should have deal with clarkson earlier and trade him once he would have figured how ridiculous of a contract he wanted. We cant use the "in the run" excuse every single time(where did that get us?), you have to look long term too and adjust.

Then first dont keep the 29th pick. And if you do dont draft a 3rd line winger from the juniors.

Then if you have a shot at an early 2nd round pick whos a scorer, dont trade down to pick up a fvcking defensive dman.

I mean. If you have a team with a sh!t ton of scoring prospects, go nuts and pull moves like that, you can afford it.

I wont even talk about zach either.

Yes he signed free agents to fill holes, holes that were left not cause he let guys walk. Holes cause his plan didnt work.

So thats what i would have wanted him to do. So now why dont we keep it there and not argue about something we both already went over 45 times? Whats the point? We dont have the same vision. Ill get this clear, i didnt want to trade zach or clarkson. But now, if i could go back in time id fvcking do it for both. Yeah we can bring up the cup run, it was awesome but we didnt win. We didnt win and were crippled in scoring for years after losing 30 goals scorers. So theres days that i think id take a first round exit that year and still have wtv assets we could have got for those 2. Wed have something to look forward to at least.

Again, if you dont agree. Fine. We dont have to fight over it. I like horror movies and punk rock, my mother doesnt, we dont argue about it every time we talk either.

Edited by SterioDesign

He should have deal with clarkson earlier and trade him once he would have figured how ridiculous of a contract he wanted. We cant use the "in the run" excuse every single time(where did that get us?), you have to look long term too and adjust.

Then first dont keep the 29th pick. And if you do dont draft a 3rd line winger from the juniors.

Then if you have a shot at an early 2nd round pick whos a scorer, dont trade down to pick up a fvcking defensive dman.

I mean. If you have a team with a sh!t ton of scoring prospects, go nuts and pull moves like that, you can afford it.

I wont even talk about zach either.

Yes he signed free agents to fill holes, holes that were left not cause he let guys walk. Holes cause his plan didnt work.

So thats what i would have wanted him to do. So now why dont we keep it there and not argue about something we both already went over 45 times? Whats the point? We dont have the same vision. Ill get this clear, i didnt want to trade zach or clarkson. But now, if i could go back in time id fvcking do it for both. Yeah we can bring up the cup run, it was awesome but we didnt win. We didnt win and were crippled in scoring for years after losing 30 goals scorers. So theres days that i think id take a first round exit that year and still have wtv assets we could have got for those 2. Wed have something to look forward to at least.

Again, if you dont agree. Fine. We dont have to fight over it. I like horror movies and punk rock, my mother doesnt, we dont argue about it every time we talk either.

How could you ever justify the trading of a top scorer at the deadline when you're right in the middle of the race for the playoffs?

I know you don't see it this way, but you use a LOT of 20/20 hindsight in your plans.

Pretty much this, just thought I'd see if he had any unique insights, but it's pretty much always the same thing...always has the answers well after the fact (though not giving up that 29th pick will forever be an odd move...it's just a really hard one to defend).  No way in hell I'm wishing we hadn't had that Cup run in 2011-12, even if it didn't result in the ultimate prize.  Beating the Flyers and the Rangers?  Henrique...it's over!  Great great memories.       

Pretty much this, just thought I'd see if he had any unique insights, but it's pretty much always the same thing...always has the answers well after the fact (though not giving up that 29th pick will forever be an odd move...it's just a really hard one to defend). No way in hell I'm wishing we hadn't had that Cup run in 2011-12, even if it didn't result in the ultimate prize. Beating the Flyers and the Rangers? Henrique...it's over! Great great memories.

Yeah that 29th pick. That's the only move I really can't understand. But I don't think Matteau was a bad thing to get at 29th had it been a situation where we didn't need to forfeit.